Focuser for ETX-105 ?

  • borpe2008
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
      I've pulled my ETX-105 out of eight years storage. I'd forgotten how awkward is the focus knob. I'm looking to install electric focus. It appears there are two commercial possibilities: the Meade #1244 and the JMI Motofocus.

      Which is recommended?

      I understand from the archives that some #1244 will not fit an ETX-105. How do I make sure I get one that does fit?
    • Glenn AE0Q
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
        I have the JMI Motofocus for my ETX-125 and it works great!!!

        Regards - Glenn

        --
        "Remember, any tool can be the right tool!" Red Green

        AE0Q / V31RY ex: GM5BKC, ZB2WZ, SV0WY, WA0VPK
        ae0q@... --SOWP 5558-M, ARRL LM, QCWA LM, OOTC, NCVA--
        http://www.radiotipsandtales.com
      • George Cushing
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 12, 2009
          The 1244 has been discontinued, but it is still available. Meade was disposing of their inventory last year for $40 and folks who stocked up are still selling them for $60 on eBay. These were the late models so they should work with the 105. It's not a bad design, but I have seen the output gear on the drive motot split if run up hard against the focuser stop.

          HTH, Geo.

          --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "borpe2008" <borpe2008@...> wrote:

          > I've pulled my ETX-105 out of eight years storage. I'd forgotten how awkward is the focus knob. I'm looking to install electric focus. It appears there are two commercial possibilities: the Meade #1244 and the JMI Motofocus.
          >
          > Which is recommended?
          >
          > I understand from the archives that some #1244 will not fit an ETX-105. How do I make sure I get one that does fit?

        • Warp
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 12, 2009
            Anyone have a 1247 that they want to part with?

            The 1244 has been discontinued, but it is still available. Meade was disposing of their inventory last year for $40 and folks who stocked up are still selling them for $60 on eBay. These were the late models so they should work with the 105. It's not a bad design, but I have seen the output gear on the drive motot split if run up hard against the focuser stop.

            HTH, Geo.

            --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroup s.com, "borpe2008" <borpe2008@. ..> wrote:

            > I've pulled my ETX-105 out of eight years storage. I'd forgotten how awkward is the focus knob. I'm looking to install electric focus. It appears there are two commercial possibilities: the Meade #1244 and the JMI Motofocus.
            >
            > Which is recommended?
            >
            > I understand from the archives that some #1244 will not fit an ETX-105. How do I make sure I get one that does fit?

          • Tim Kamel
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 13, 2009
              Does the 1244 also work on the ETX-125?

              Tim Kamel

              The 1244 has been discontinued, but it is still available. Meade was disposing of their inventory last year for $40 and folks who stocked up are still selling them for $60 on eBay. These were the late models so they should work with the 105. It's not a bad design, but I have seen the output gear on the drive motot split if run up hard against the focuser stop.

              HTH, Geo.

              --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroup s.com, "borpe2008" <borpe2008@. ..> wrote:

              > I've pulled my ETX-105 out of eight years storage. I'd forgotten how awkward is the focus knob. I'm looking to install electric focus. It appears there are two commercial possibilities: the Meade #1244 and the JMI Motofocus.
              >
              > Which is recommended?
              >
              > I understand from the archives that some #1244 will not fit an ETX-105. How do I make sure I get one that does fit?

            • Mike Weasner
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 13, 2009
                Not without a modification, discussed on the Helpful Information:
                Telescope Tech Tips page on my ETX Site.

                On Mar 13, 2009, at 08:57, Tim Kamel wrote:

                > Does the 1244 also work on the ETX-125?

                Mike Weasner
                8" LX200-ACF ETX-125AT ETX-105PE ETX-90RA ETX-70AT PST
                Email: etx@... iChat / AIM: mweasner@...
                | http://www.weasner.com/etx |
                | Since 1996 - "Best Meade ETX Telescope Web Site" |
                | -- according to ETX users worldwide |
              • Warp
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 13, 2009
                  The focuser for the 125 is the 1247.   For some reason, Meade no longer makes them.