ETX-60 at Walmart

  • growler3
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
      If anyone is interested, Walmart is once again selling the little
      wonder, the ETX-60. The price is $200 and you have to go to their web
      site to find a store and availability.

      Bob Harris
    • Gregg
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
        That is a lot higher than the $50 price last time. And the store
        employees kept them in the back, out of customers' sight. When I
        asked, I was told all were gone. The employees bought all of them. I
        came back later and was told another was found in stock, but it was
        gone quickly too.

        --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "growler3" <harrisb@...> wrote:

        > If anyone is interested, Walmart is once again selling the little
        > wonder, the ETX-60. The price is $200 and you have to go to their web
        > site to find a store and availability.
        >
        > Bob Harris

      • Rod Mollise
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
          Yep, that price should be a deal breaker for most folks...an Orion StarBlast
          is somewhat cheaper.

          Peace,
          Rod Mollise
          Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
          The Urban Astronomer's Guide
          <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

          That is a lot higher than the $50 price last time. And the store
          employees kept them in the back, out of customers' sight. When I
          asked, I was told all were gone. The employees bought all of them. I
          came back later and was told another was found in stock, but it was
          gone quickly too.

          --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "growler3" <harrisb@...> wrote:

          > If anyone is interested, Walmart is once again selling the little
          > wonder, the ETX-60. The price is $200 and you have to go to their web
          > site to find a store and availability.
          >
          > Bob Harris

        • Bob Harris
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
            That was not my experience. They were displayed outside of the optics
            department and were approx $150. After the holidays, the price went down
            but I never saw them for less than $100.

            bh
            > That is a lot higher than the $50 price last time. And the store
            > employees kept them in the back, out of customers' sight. When I
            > asked, I was told all were gone. The employees bought all of them. I
            > came back later and was told another was found in stock, but it was
            > gone quickly too.
            >
            > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "growler3" <harrisb@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> If anyone is interested, Walmart is once again selling the little
            >> wonder, the ETX-60. The price is $200 and you have to go to their web
            >> site to find a store and availability.
            >>
            >> Bob Harris

          • Rod Mollise
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
              I am surprised to see that the local Walmarts (all of which have carried
              Christmas scopes in the past; some Bushnell/Tasco, some Meade) are
              completely bare this year thus far. Not e'en a 60mm refractor do I see...
              Economy?

              Peace,
              Rod Mollise
              Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
              The Urban Astronomer's Guide
              <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

              > That is a lot higher than the $50 price last time. And the store
              > employees kept them in the back, out of customers' sight. When I
              > asked, I was told all were gone. The employees bought all of them. I
              > came back later and was told another was found in stock, but it was
              > gone quickly too.
              >
              > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "growler3" <harrisb@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> If anyone is interested, Walmart is once again selling the little
              >> wonder, the ETX-60. The price is $200 and you have to go to their web
              >> site to find a store and availability.
              >>
              >> Bob Harris

            • Bob Harris
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
                Although the StarBlast is a larger aperature, the little 60 is a
                computerized wonder.

                bh
                > Yep, that price should be a deal breaker for most folks...an Orion
                > StarBlast
                > is somewhat cheaper.
                >

                > Peace,
                > Rod Mollise
                > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
                > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
                > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

              • Bob Harris
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
                  Some stores have them or they will ship to a store. Check the web site.

                  bh
                  >I am surprised to see that the local Walmarts (all of which have carried
                  > Christmas scopes in the past; some Bushnell/Tasco, some Meade) are
                  > completely bare this year thus far. Not e'en a 60mm refractor do I see...
                  > Economy?
                  >

                  > Peace,
                  > Rod Mollise
                  > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
                  > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
                  > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

                • Bob Harris
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
                    I've said and posted this before but I enjoy talking about the ETX-60. The
                    ETX-60 is a pure joy. There is no question that the Andromeda Galaxy only
                    shows up as a tiny fuzz ball but double stars, asterisms, and bright open
                    clusters are made for this scope. And as far grab-and-go the -60 is as
                    convenient as a pair of binoculars with the added feature of computerized
                    go-to..

                    Next time you have clear skies and don't feel like dragging out the boat
                    anchor and accessories, grab an ETX-60. and enjoy yourself.

                    bh
                    > Although the StarBlast is a larger aperature, the little 60 is a
                    > computerized wonder.
                    >
                    > bh

                  • Warp
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
                      Just an FYI... Costco is selling the DS2090 which is a 90mm refractor with their Generation 2 mount (has built in clock / calandar with battery backup), red dot finder, 5 (cheap) eyepieces and a Autostar 497 for $189.95.  The AutoStar alone retails for that and the 90mm makes a good guide scope.  The focuser is cheap plastic but very usable on the moon, saturn, jupiter and brighter objects.  Depending on your luck, the objective can be fairly good.

                      Warp

                      That is a lot higher than the $50 price last time. And the store
                      employees kept them in the back, out of customers' sight. When I
                      asked, I was told all were gone. The employees bought all of them. I
                      came back later and was told another was found in stock, but it was
                      gone quickly too.

                      --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroup s.com, "growler3" <harrisb@... > wrote:

                      > If anyone is interested, Walmart is once again selling the little
                      > wonder, the ETX-60. The price is $200 and you have to go to their web
                      > site to find a store and availability.
                      >
                      > Bob Harris

                    • Rod Mollise
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
                        I've still got and still love my li'l 60 about six years down the line. I
                        was amazed what the little critter showed me one August night from the top
                        of Mt. Pisgah in North Caroline...WOW!

                        ;-)

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
                          I can't find any reference to the DS2090 at Costco. I did a google search
                          and a search on the Costco web site.

                          bh

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
                            It's not on their website - the two stores here in St. Louis each have 24 of them.  Call your local store and ask what they have from Meade.

                            Warp