Meade ETX80 BB availability and customer service issues

  • David
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
      Hi all, a bit over a month ago, My ETX80 developed a glitch in the
      azimuth axis. I contacted Meade, and, was instructed to return it for
      a warranty replacement. I had to pay shipping both ways since it was
      over 90 days old (another 40 dollar investment). They acknowledged
      receiving it on 10/17, but, have yet to send a replacement. I've made
      weekly calls, and, until last week, was told they were not in stock.
      Last week, the man I spoke to, said they had received a shipment, and,
      that my credit card account would be charged as soon as it shipped.
      Well, my card has been charged, so, I called today to get a tracking
      number, and, the woman I spoke with tells me they are still out of
      stock, and I will just have to wait my turn. Is this typical of
      Meade? I'm concerned because the 80 BB isn't even listed on their
      site any more. Out of frustration, I also asked about a direct
      refund, or equal replacement, and was promptly told NO. Does anyone
      have any insight as to what is going on with Meade?

      Thanks,
      David
    • Mike Weasner
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
        The ETX-80 is still shown on Meade's site:

        http://www.meade.com/etx/etx80.html

        It is in the "Product Guide" section. As to the shipping delays,
        Meade is going through some difficulties right now.

        On Nov 11, 2008, at 16:12, David wrote:

        > I'm concerned because the 80 BB isn't even listed on their
        > site any more

        Mike Weasner
        8" LX200-ACF ETX-125AT ETX-105PE ETX-90RA ETX-70AT PST
        Email: mweasner@... iChatAV / AIM: mweasner@...
        | http://www.weasner.com/etx |
        | Since 1996 - "Best Meade ETX Telescope Web Site" |
        | -- according to ETX users worldwide |
      • autostaretx
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
          Meade's repair facility is now in Tijuana, along with their main
          American continent factory.
          The typical turn-around time for repairs seems to be about 8 weeks.
          I -think- (but don't know for sure) that the '80 is built in China,
          so they may simply be awaiting a shipment (for Xmas stock?).

          good luck
          --dick

          --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dlogan@...> wrote:

          > Hi all, a bit over a month ago, My ETX80 developed a glitch in the
          > azimuth axis. I contacted Meade, and, was instructed to return it for
          > a warranty replacement. I had to pay shipping both ways since it was
          > over 90 days old (another 40 dollar investment). They acknowledged
          > receiving it on 10/17, but, have yet to send a replacement. I've made
          > weekly calls, and, until last week, was told they were not in stock.
          > Last week, the man I spoke to, said they had received a shipment, and,
          > that my credit card account would be charged as soon as it shipped.
          > Well, my card has been charged, so, I called today to get a tracking
          > number, and, the woman I spoke with tells me they are still out of
          > stock, and I will just have to wait my turn. Is this typical of
          > Meade? I'm concerned because the 80 BB isn't even listed on their
          > site any more. Out of frustration, I also asked about a direct
          > refund, or equal replacement, and was promptly told NO. Does anyone
          > have any insight as to what is going on with Meade?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > David

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 21, 2008
            I got an ETX 80 for the right price. Pretty ne(2 months) got box and
            packing. Let me know!

            Steve
            --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, Mike Weasner <mweasner@...> wrote:

            > The ETX-80 is still shown on Meade's site:
            >
            > http://www.meade.com/etx/etx80.html
            >
            > It is in the "Product Guide" section. As to (2 months) got box and
            packing. Let me know!

            Steve

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 21, 2008
              Well, I called back on the 13th, and got the gentleman who originally
              told me my replacement scope would be shipped as soon as my card was
              charged. I explained to him what the woman had told me, and, he
              verified my card had been charged. I was put on hold, while he went
              to his manager to discuss what had happened. When he returned, he
              apologized, and admitted there had been a mistake, and my scope wasn't
              shipped as I was told it would. He told me they had located one, and
              would have it shipped Friday morning, and to call back to get a
              tracking number. When I called back Friday, he assured me the scope
              had shipped, but, the tracking number was unavailable at that time.
              On Monday, the 17th, I called, and was given the tracking number, and,
              ended up purchasing Meade's Sky Assurance (this guy was a good
              salesman, and service rep). A bit later, HE called me back to verify
              some information needed for the Sky Assurance account. On Wednesday,
              the 19th, my replacement scope showed up right on schedule. I've not
              had a chance to try it out yet, as it's turned off cold, and I can't
              handle the cold like I use to. But, I plan to do a mock alignment and
              some indoor testing tonight. If Meade is listening, thank you for
              restoring my faith in you as a reputable company.

              David