ETX 80 and DSI 2 camera focus question

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
      HI guys,

      I am loving my ETX80. Lots of fun and easy setup. Was out the other
      night on the deck and wanted to take a few images. but I could not
      reach focus with the camera. I got "pretty close", but not there. I
      think I need some sort of extension but dont know what it is. Any
      ideas out there?

      thanks

      steve
    • Steven Yockey
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
        Hi Steve,

        I had the same problem with my ETX80. I had to use a barlow to be able
        to obtain focus with my webcam when using the 90 degree port. Using
        the rear port you can get by without the barlow though. You do have to
        buy a T-mount thread adapter and a T-mount to 1.25" adapter though.

        Regards,
        Steve

        --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <pinkflyd34@...> wrote:

        > HI guys,
        >

        > I am loving my ETX80. Lots of fun and easy setup. Was out the other
        > night on the deck and wanted to take a few images. but I could not
        > reach focus with the camera. I got "pretty close", but not there. I
        > think I need some sort of extension but dont know what it is. Any
        > ideas out there?
        >
        > thanks
        >
        > steve

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
          Hi Steve,

          thanks for the info. I have a back cell adapter somewhere here that
          I got for my ETX125 before I traded it in. What about using a 90
          degree prism in the top eyepiece? Guess i am just looking for an
          easy way out.

          Steve--- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Yockey" <yock1960@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Steve,
          >
          > I had the same problem with my ETX80. I had to use a barlow to be
          able
          > to obtain focus with my webcam when using the 90 degree port. Using
          > the rear port you can get by without the barlow though. You do
          have to
          > buy a T-mount thread adapter and a T-mount to 1.25" adapter though.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Steve
          >
          > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <pinkflyd34@> wrote:
          > >
          > > HI guys,
          > >

          > > I am loving my ETX80. Lots of fun and easy setup. Was out the
          other
          > > night on the deck and wanted to take a few images. but I could
          not
          > > reach focus with the camera. I got "pretty close", but not
          there. I
          > > think I need some sort of extension but dont know what it is.
          Any
          > > ideas out there?
          > >
          > > thanks
          > >
          > > steve

        • George Cushing
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
            You'll need the Meade #64ST T-Adapter for ETX-60/70/80 for prime
            focus. It fits the Meade 80mm ETX-80AT-TC and the discontinued 60mm
            ETX-60AT and 70mm ETX-70AT.

            The 90/105/125 have a different rear port thread. The ETX Rear Port
            is 1.375" * 24TPI, which is close but not the same as the Meade and
            Celestron SCT 1.25" visual back's and Celestron C-90 rear port's
            1.38" * 24TPI. The aluminum ETX rear port cap will not thread on the
            visual back, but most other accessories are interchangible.
            Geo.

            --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <pinkflyd34@...> wrote:

            > Hi Steve,
            >
            > thanks for the info. I have a back cell adapter somewhere here that
            > I got for my ETX125 before I traded it in. What about using a 90
            > degree prism in the top eyepiece? Guess i am just looking for an
            > easy way out.
            >
            > Steve--- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Yockey" <yock1960@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Steve,
            > >
            > > I had the same problem with my ETX80. I had to use a barlow to be
            > able
            > > to obtain focus with my webcam when using the 90 degree port.
            Using
            > > the rear port you can get by without the barlow though. You do
            > have to
            > > buy a T-mount thread adapter and a T-mount to 1.25" adapter
            though.

            > > Regards,
            > > Steve
            > >
            > > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <pinkflyd34@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > HI guys,
            > > >

            > > > I am loving my ETX80. Lots of fun and easy setup. Was out the
            > other
            > > > night on the deck and wanted to take a few images. but I could
            > not
            > > > reach focus with the camera. I got "pretty close", but not
            > there. I
            > > > think I need some sort of extension but dont know what it is.
            > Any
            > > > ideas out there?
            > > >
            > > > thanks
            > > >
            > > > steve

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2008
              George,

              I am not using a DSLR. I am using the Meade DSI camera. I dont see
              how this is going to connect. I was able to get my DSI color camera
              focused. The DSI 2 Pro needs to go "in" more to achieve focus. I was
              trying to use the eyepiece cup for this. Guess I need to buy some
              adapters and use the bottom part. I think there is a scam for all
              the accessories you need to buy in this hobby. LOL!!!

              Steve--- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "George Cushing"
              <pinyachta@...> wrote:

              > You'll need the Meade #64ST T-Adapter for ETX-60/70/80 for prime
              > focus. It fits the Meade 80mm ETX-80AT-TC and the discontinued
              60mm
              > ETX-60AT and 70mm ETX-70AT.
              >
              > The 90/105/125 have a different rear port thread. The ETX Rear
              Port
              > is 1.375" * 24TPI, which is close but not the same as the Meade
              and
              > Celestron SCT 1.25" visual back's and Celestron C-90 rear port's
              > 1.38" * 24TPI. The aluminum ETX rear port cap will not thread on
              the
              > visual back, but most other accessories are interchangible.
              > Geo.
              >
              > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <pinkflyd34@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Steve,
              > >
              > > thanks for the info. I have a back cell adapter somewhere here
              that
              > > I got for my ETX125 before I traded it in. What about using a 90
              > > degree prism in the top eyepiece? Guess i am just looking for an
              > > easy way out.
              > >
              > > Steve--- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Yockey"
              <yock1960@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Steve,
              > > >
              > > > I had the same problem with my ETX80. I had to use a barlow to
              be
              > > able
              > > > to obtain focus with my webcam when using the 90 degree port.
              > Using
              > > > the rear port you can get by without the barlow though. You do
              > > have to
              > > > buy a T-mount thread adapter and a T-mount to 1.25" adapter
              > though.
              > > >
              > > > Regards,
              > > > Steve

              > > other
              > > not
              > > there. I
              > > Any

            • George Cushing
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4, 2008
                The nose piece of the DSI is removable and uses the T-thread (42mm
                by .75t/mm). With the 64ST on the rear port the camera body will thread
                directly to the rear. To get the image orientation you may want make up
                a few thin washers (I like to use the clears soda bottle plastic) to
                place between the cam body and the rear of the scope. Geo.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 4, 2008
                  Hi George,

                  thanks again for the info. I had a back cell adapter and a visual
                  back in my box of stuff and was able to connect to the back of the
                  scope and achieve focus!!! Now for the hard part and get some good
                  images.