The Sky help!

  • George Cushing
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008
      Got a couple of these to work on. I'm told they need to be reflashed.

      Anyone know if this is similar to updating an ETX.

      Also these are supposed to interface with the AS497 with an optional
      cable. Can I get the pinouts anywhere?
      Thanks, geo.
    • Mike Weasner
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008
        Are you talking about the Meade "mySKY"? If so, see my review on the
        Accessory Reviews: Showcase Products page on my ETX Site. I plan to
        update the review on the next Site to update to include the Meade
        Cable Set. However, if you want to make your own cable for the #497
        AutoStar, that's in the current review.

        On Feb 1, 2008, at 11:45, George Cushing wrote:

        > Got a couple of these to work on. I'm told they need to be reflashed.
        >
        > Anyone know if this is similar to updating an ETX.
        >
        > Also these are supposed to interface with the AS497 with an optional
        > cable. Can I get the pinouts anywhere?

        Mike Weasner
        Email: mweasner@... iChatAV / AIM: mweasner@...
        | http://www.weasner.com/etx |
        | Since 1996 - "Best Meade ETX Telescope Web Site" |
        | -- according to ETX users worldwide |
      • Rod Mollise
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008
          Got a couple of WHATS?

          Peace,
          Rod Mollise
          Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
          The Urban Astronomer's Guide
          <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

          Got a couple of these to work on. I'm told they need to be reflashed.

          Anyone know if this is similar to updating an ETX.

          Also these are supposed to interface with the AS497 with an optional cable.
          Can I get the pinouts anywhere?
          Thanks, geo.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • George Cushing
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008
            Meade my Skys.

            ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

            > Got a couple of WHATS?
            >
            > Peace,
            > Rod Mollise
            > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
            > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
            > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

            Behalf
            > Of George Cushing
            > Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 12:46 PM
            > To: ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [ETXASTRO] The Sky help!
            >
            > Got a couple of these to work on. I'm told they need to be
            reflashed.

            > Anyone know if this is similar to updating an ETX.
            >
            > Also these are supposed to interface with the AS497 with an
            optional cable.
            > Can I get the pinouts anywhere?
            > Thanks, geo.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Rod Mollise

              > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
              > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
              > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • autostaretx
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
                --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

                > OK...The Sky is something different. Beware of updating MySky
                > with the CD...that's a recipe for a trip back to Meade right now.

                The new updated MySky downloader is available from:
                http://meade.com/mysky/mySKY_Update.html

                have fun
                --dick
              • George Cushing
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
                  Thanks, guess Bisque should have trademarked "Sky" and I wouldn't be
                  so easily cornfused. I assume you mean the disk Meade includes with
                  the my Sky. Geo.

                • George Cushing
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
                    That's it! Thanks. The user's manual is very sketchy on flashing the SD
                    chip. Perhaps they hadn't set up the update site when the product went
                    to market. The instructions on the page imply that the downloaded file
                    is self extracting, but it has to be executed. Otherwise nothing
                    unusual, but I wanted to be sure. Glad I checked here first. Thanks
                    again, all.
                    Geo.

                    --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

                    > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > OK...The Sky is something different. Beware of updating MySky
                    > > with the CD...that's a recipe for a trip back to Meade right now.
                    >
                    > The new updated MySky downloader is available from:
                    > http://meade.com/mysky/mySKY_Update.html
                    >
                    > have fun
                    > --dick

                  • Rod Mollise
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
                      I don't know about "trademarked." The software planetarium from Bisque is
                      "TheSky"...the hand-held widget from Meade is MySky...both one word. ;-)

                      Yeah, I'm a-talkin' about the CD that came with the thing. Unless Meade has
                      issued a new one, a lot of folks messed up their MySky by running the update
                      on the disk.

                      Thanks, guess Bisque should have trademarked "Sky" and I wouldn't be so
                      easily cornfused. I assume you mean the disk Meade includes with the my Sky.
                      Geo.

                      --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

                      > OK...The Sky is something different. Beware of updating MySky with
                      the
                      > CD...that's a recipe for a trip back to Meade right now.
                      >
                      > Peace,
                      > Rod Mollise
                      > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
                      > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
                      > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

                      Yahoo! Groups Links