Re: [ETXASTRO] Meade 1247 focuser for a ETX125AT

  • Tim Kamel
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007
      Is Scopetronix in business?  I know that their site is still up, but I had heard that they had sold their inventory.

      Has anyone actually bought, and received, anything from them in the last few months?

      Tim

      Mike Weasner <mweasner@...> wrote:
      Also, right now I recommend avoiding Scopetronix for any new
      purchases. I don't know if they have recovered from some turmoil
      that impacted their services over the last couple of years. I wish I
      could report otherwise as Scopetronix used to be one of the Shining
      Stars in Astronomy Dealers. Hopefully at some point they will return
      to their former greatness!

      On Jul 30, 2007, at 17:23, <joesuekupneski@ sbcglobal. net> wrote:

      > Right now I have a Flexi-focus from Scopetronix and it's a lot
      > better than the original knob but still not great.

      Mike Weasner
      Email: mweasner@aol. com iChatAV / AIM: mweasner@mac. com
      ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ----
      | http://www.weasner. com/etx |
      | Since 1996 - "Best Meade ETX Telescope Web Site" |
      | -- according to ETX users worldwide |
      ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ----

      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

    • Mike Weasner
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007
        I have received some reports that people have purchased items from a
        company using the Scopetronix name (apparently took it over). But
        most of those reports still contain difficulties; certainly not up to
        the former Scopetronix quality.

        On Aug 2, 2007, at 19:30, Tim Kamel wrote:

        > Is Scopetronix in business? I know that their site is still up,
        > but I had heard that they had sold their inventory.
        >
        > Has anyone actually bought, and received, anything from them in the
        > last few months?

        Mike Weasner
        Email: mweasner@... iChatAV / AIM: mweasner@...
        | http://www.weasner.com/etx |
        | Since 1996 - "Best Meade ETX Telescope Web Site" |
        | -- according to ETX users worldwide |
      • Cafarella, Edward M.
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 3, 2007
          I see B&H Photo has them. Order from them, they're very reliable.

        • George Cushing
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 3, 2007
            --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, Mike Weasner <mweasner@...> wrote:

            > I have received some reports that people have purchased items from a
            > company using the Scopetronix name (apparently took it over). But
            > most of those reports still contain difficulties; certainly not up
            > to the former Scopetronix quality.
            >

            > Mike Weasner
            > Email: mweasner@... iChatAV / AIM: mweasner@...
            > | http://www.weasner.com/etx |
            > | Since 1996 - "Best Meade ETX Telescope Web Site" |
            > | -- according to ETX users worldwide |

            I've read that Anttlers Optics purchased the remaining Scopetronix
            inventory and has been selling it through the old web site. No reported
            plans of reviving the product line. Checking around the resellers there
            seems to be very little inventory left at this time.

            There's an annoucement of a merger between and DBA Astronomy. Anttlers
            doesn't seem to be very active on eBay at present, so who knows what's
            up. They had been breaking up ASGT C6s, auctioning the goto CG-5s and
            C6 optical tubes separately. I couldn't understand why, unless they had
            a large inventory they had to liquidate. They were clearing less than
            the dealer cost for the scope (around $875).

            With internet vendors like OpticsPlanet it's very difficult to do new
            astro equipment retail (C6 ASGT $999 delivered). The margins are so
            thin that you can't really carry any inventory. My dealer has cut way
            back on inventory. If you want it, he'll order it, but then he has to
            add the 8.5% sales tax. The only bright spot is used equipment, the as
            margins are better. Used internet sales to export markets are very
            strong with margins in the 30-50% range. The weak dollar and greedy
            Meade and Celestron distributors make for a good European market.

            My dealer gives me all the repair and service business, but I'm
            starting to feel it should support the sales end more. He is just glad
            to have his customer's needs serviced. But if folks are going elsewhere
            for the initial purchase are they customers? I'll probably just raise
            my rates and kick back 25% to the dealer.

            While Brian Deis (while with Meade, he now is the No. American Vixen
            distributor), told me the market for astro equipment was getting
            smaller, my gut tells me the numbers may be lower, but the interest in
            quality equipment has gone up. If I recall correctly, Meade advanced
            products are about 5% of the scopes sold and about 15% of revenues. The
            trash end of the market is very competitive right now. Much of the
            Chinese stuff being sold by other than the major vendors looks to me to
            be going for less than the cost of materials, labor and overhead. This
            can't go on forever, but I don't see the realities of capitalism
            trumping politics in China for quite a while. In the interim a lot of
            decent optics are coming out of China te Chinese C6 an Meade's series
            5000 eyepieces, for example).
            Geo.
          • Rod Mollise
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 3, 2007
              Hi:

              I don't know how accurate it is to say the gear biz is getting smaller. I
              suspect that when that happens, what we're really seeing is that there
              hasn't been an astronomy spectacular (Mars 2003, Hale Bopp, etc.) for a
              while to get the public buying telescopes. My intelligence sources say the
              market for AMATEURS is stable or growing slightly.

              As for Scoptronix, what brought it down was the owner's (Jordan Blessing's)
              personal problems.

              Peace,
              Rod Mollise
              Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
              The Urban Astronomer's Guide
              <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

              > I have received some reports that people have purchased items from a
              > company using the Scopetronix name (apparently took it over). But
              > most of those reports still contain difficulties; certainly not up to
              > the former Scopetronix quality.
              >

              > Mike Weasner
              > Email: mweasner@... iChatAV / AIM: mweasner@...
              > | http://www.weasner.com/etx |
              > | Since 1996 - "Best Meade ETX Telescope Web Site" |
              > | -- according to ETX users worldwide |

              I've read that Anttlers Optics purchased the remaining Scopetronix inventory
              and has been selling it through the old web site. No reported plans of
              reviving the product line. Checking around the resellers there seems to be
              very little inventory left at this time.

              There's an annoucement of a merger between and DBA Astronomy. Anttlers
              doesn't seem to be very active on eBay at present, so who knows what's up.
              They had been breaking up ASGT C6s, auctioning the goto CG-5s and
              C6 optical tubes separately. I couldn't understand why, unless they had a
              large inventory they had to liquidate. They were clearing less than the
              dealer cost for the scope (around $875).

              With internet vendors like OpticsPlanet it's very difficult to do new astro
              equipment retail (C6 ASGT $999 delivered). The margins are so thin that you
              can't really carry any inventory. My dealer has cut way back on inventory.
              If you want it, he'll order it, but then he has to add the 8.5% sales tax.
              The only bright spot is used equipment, the as margins are better. Used
              internet sales to export markets are very strong with margins in the 30-50%
              range. The weak dollar and greedy Meade and Celestron distributors make for
              a good European market.

              My dealer gives me all the repair and service business, but I'm starting to
              feel it should support the sales end more. He is just glad to have his
              customer's needs serviced. But if folks are going elsewhere for the initial
              purchase are they customers? I'll probably just raise my rates and kick back
              25% to the dealer.

              While Brian Deis (while with Meade, he now is the No. American Vixen
              distributor), told me the market for astro equipment was getting smaller, my
              gut tells me the numbers may be lower, but the interest in quality equipment
              has gone up. If I recall correctly, Meade advanced products are about 5% of
              the scopes sold and about 15% of revenues. The trash end of the market is
              very competitive right now. Much of the Chinese stuff being sold by other
              than the major vendors looks to me to be going for less than the cost of
              materials, labor and overhead. This can't go on forever, but I don't see the
              realities of capitalism trumping politics in China for quite a while. In the
              interim a lot of decent optics are coming out of China te Chinese C6 an
              Meade's series 5000 eyepieces, for example).
              Geo.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 11, 2007
                Last week I exchanged e-mails with someone at scopetronix. They
                responded to all my 3 e-mails within 24 hours and they indicated
                that the items I wanted that were out of stock, would be available
                in about 45 days. They seem to be back ! Anyone else have a recent
                experience ?

                --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

                > Hi:
                >
                > I don't know how accurate it is to say the gear biz is getting
                smaller. I
                > suspect that when that happens, what we're really seeing is that
                there
                > hasn't been an astronomy spectacular (Mars 2003, Hale Bopp, etc.)
                for a
                > while to get the public buying telescopes. My intelligence sources
                say the
                > market for AMATEURS is stable or growing slightly.
                >
                > As for Scoptronix, what brought it down was the owner's (Jordan
                Blessing's)
                > personal problems.
                >
                > Peace,
                > Rod Mollise
                > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain
                Telescope...and...
                > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
                > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

              • Rod Mollise

                  Last week I exchanged e-mails with someone at scopetronix. They responded
                  to all my 3 e-mails within 24 hours and they indicated that the items I
                  wanted that were out of stock, would be available in about 45 days. They
                  seem to be back ! Anyone else have a recent experience ?

                  --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

                  > Hi:
                  >
                  > I don't know how accurate it is to say the gear biz is getting
                  smaller. I
                  > suspect that when that happens, what we're really seeing is that
                  there
                  > hasn't been an astronomy spectacular (Mars 2003, Hale Bopp, etc.)
                  for a
                  > while to get the public buying telescopes. My intelligence sources
                  say the
                  > market for AMATEURS is stable or growing slightly.
                  >
                  > As for Scoptronix, what brought it down was the owner's (Jordan
                  Blessing's)
                  > personal problems.
                  >
                  > Peace,
                  > Rod Mollise
                  > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain
                  Telescope...and...
                  > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
                  > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • arthurok

                    Last week I exchanged e-mails with someone at scopetronix. They responded
                    to all my 3 e-mails within 24 hours and they indicated that the items I
                    wanted that were out of stock, would be available in about 45 days. They
                    seem to be back ! Anyone else have a recent experience ?

                    --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroup s.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@.. .> wrote:

                    > Hi:
                    >
                    > I don't know how accurate it is to say the gear biz is getting
                    smaller. I
                    > suspect that when that happens, what we're really seeing is that
                    there
                    > hasn't been an astronomy spectacular (Mars 2003, Hale Bopp, etc.)
                    for a
                    > while to get the public buying telescopes. My intelligence sources
                    say the
                    > market for AMATEURS is stable or growing slightly.
                    >
                    > As for Scoptronix, what brought it down was the owner's (Jordan
                    Blessing's)
                    > personal problems.
                    >
                    > Peace,
                    > Rod Mollise
                    > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain
                    Telescope... and...
                    > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
                    > <http://skywatch. brainiac. com/astroland>

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • George Cushing
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 16, 2007
                      --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

                      > Scopetronix is gone. The name and remaining stock were sold to another
                      > company which is continuing to sell on the Scopetronix website--least
                      till
                      > stock is gone.
                      >
                      > Peace,
                      > Rod Mollise
                      > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
                      > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
                      > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

                      There's a relatively new vendor on eBay, d/b/a cncsupplyinc, out of
                      Cape Coral, Florida. He's selling some ETX items similar to the
                      Scopetronixs line, piggy back brackets, rear port VBs and LARs are some
                      I noted. Opening bids are below Scopetronix's. HTH
                      George
                    • stevethornton54
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 16, 2007
                        I just recent bought a flex focus cord and visual back for an ETX
                        125 from CNC supply and received them promptly. They were in
                        Scopetronix boxes so that tells you something is up--or down with
                        Scopetronix.

                        Steve

                        --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "George Cushing" <pinyachta@...>
                        wrote:

                        > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Scopetronix is gone. The name and remaining stock were sold to
                        another
                        > > company which is continuing to sell on the Scopetronix website--
                        least
                        > till
                        > > stock is gone.
                        > >
                        > > Peace,
                        > > Rod Mollise
                        > > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain
                        Telescope...and...
                        > > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
                        > > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>
                        >
                        > There's a relatively new vendor on eBay, d/b/a cncsupplyinc, out
                        of
                        > Cape Coral, Florida. He's selling some ETX items similar to the
                        > Scopetronixs line, piggy back brackets, rear port VBs and LARs are
                        some
                        > I noted. Opening bids are below Scopetronix's. HTH
                        > George

                      • arthurok
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 16, 2007
                          i  think  this  is  the owner of   scopetronix