RE: ETX-80 Problem aligning

  • Chip Frappier
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hey Everybody,

      As promised, I can now report on this problem and I believe it's cure.
      A momentarily clear night and enough time off from work, we attacked
      this problem with the suggestions of this group. Although we had to
      perform this procedure three times in succession, the Calibrate Motors
      routine seems to have worked. After the third attempt and subsequent
      alignment, the alignment stars fell in the eyepiece field of view. A
      slew to the moon was not impressive, but close enough. A slew to Venus
      to observe the close pairing with Saturn was dead on.
      Thank You ever so much for your kind assistance. I now have a Father
      with a nine year old Son who is extatic about his telescope.
      I do have one final question, does this Calibrate Motors routine have
      to be performed with any regularity or only as needed?
      Thanks again;

      Chip
    • Rod Mollise
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2007
        Hi:

        "Calibrate motors" only needs to be performed when you change batteries.

        Remember, alignment stars don't have to be in the field of the eyepiece in order to complete a good alignment. If they are not, simply center them.

        Peace,
        Rod Mollise
        Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
        The Urban Astronomer's Guide
        <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2007
          --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Chip Frappier" <dafuzz_9@...> wrote:

          > Hey Everybody,
          >
          > As promised, I can now report on this problem and I believe it's
          > cure.
          > A momentarily clear night and enough time off from work, we attacked
          > this problem with the suggestions of this group. Although we had to
          > perform this procedure three times in succession, the Calibrate
          > Motors routine seems to have worked. After the third attempt and
          > subsequent alignment, the alignment stars fell in the eyepiece
          > field of view. A slew to the moon was not impressive, but close
          > enough. A slew to Venus
          > to observe the close pairing with Saturn was dead on.

          For validating alignments, the only true tests are stars.
          The planets and moons are calculated from orbital parameters,
          and the Autostar will induce periodic errors... there will be
          nights when the moon is spot-on, and others where it's far off.
          But GoTo'ing the stars is what measures alignment quality.

          That said, i'm puzzled that it took 3 times for Cal Motors to
          finally appear to "hit the spot"... the process used internally
          doesn't use "history" (it doesn't remember what happened last
          time), so i suspect something (a spot of thrown grease on the
          encoder?) is causing it to have a wide range of results, and
          you finally caught a "good" one.

          In which case: do NOT do another Cal Motors until the GoTo's
          and tracking seem to be bad again.

          > Thank You ever so much for your kind assistance. I now have a Father
          > with a nine year old Son who is extatic about his telescope.
          > I do have one final question, does this Calibrate Motors routine
          > have to be performed with any regularity or only as needed?

          Only when needed, and even then i usually wait until i get a
          "Motor Unit Failure" message from the Autostar.

          I still have an underlying uneasiness that something -else- may
          be amiss, but if it continues to operate properly, then the
          proof is certainly in the pudding.

          have fun
          --dick
        • Joe Lalumia
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 6, 2007
            --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:
            >On my ETX90 I usually perform a CALIBRATE motors first thing after I
            get outside(with my external 12volt power pack). Only once.......as
            Uncle Rod & Dick have said it's OK to slew the scope to center the
            alignment star........in fact this is usually what needs to be done.
            Joe Lalumia

          • Vidgamer
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 7, 2007
               OK, I remember a long time ago, someone was selling an 80mm lens upgrade for the ETX-60 -- did anything become of that?

              I haven't used the ol' ETX-60 in a while, so I'm also wondering if it's worth trying to update the internal settings; last time I tried, I think it was too much of a hassle, and I probably just lived with what was there, but it's been too long for me to recall.  I did recalibrate, and I don't know if I ever got the slew right on  :-(  so maybe I'll go through that again.

              Anyway, I guess I wondered if there was anything I missed in the past couple of years that I should look into.

              I think the best "upgrade" will be a level & compass to help set it up!  For some reason, it takes me a while to get going....
            • Rod Mollise
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 7, 2007
                Hi:

                I don't know about an 80mm lens upgrade, but one would be more trouble than it's worth.

                I don't know what you mean by "update the internal settings." If you mean the software, Meade has never released an update for the 60.

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 7, 2007
                  Perhaps you mean the wo apograde, but that is not for the etx-60, it
                  is for (many not all) refractors with a front lens of 80mm (and
                  appropriate threads etc etc). Search for apograde and you'll find the
                  info.
                • George Cushing
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 11, 2007
                    --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

                    > Hi:
                    >
                    > I don't know about an 80mm lens upgrade, but one would be more
                    trouble than
                    > it's worth.
                    >
                    > I don't know what you mean by "update the internal settings." If
                    you mean
                    > the software, Meade has never released an update for the 60.
                    >
                    > Peace,
                    > Rod Mollise
                    > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
                    > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
                    > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>
                    >
                    > OK, I remember a long time ago, someone was selling an 80mm lens
                    > upgrade for the ETX-60 -- did anything become of that?

                    The 60 and the 70 are the same tube assembly and a 60 can be easily
                    changed to a 70 with the right objective and retaining ring. The 80
                    is a different assembly. Due to the weight of the 80mm objective the
                    mount has a counter balancing spring in the left fork. I don't think
                    you could even put the whole OTA on a 60 mount successfully. HTH
                    George
                  • dobdave1
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 11, 2007
                      Hi,
                      It can be done if you can get the focal length close enough, and be
                      able to adapt the original lens cell just right to keep the internal
                      baffles from vignetting.

                      Look into this:
                      http://www.islandeyepiece.com/shopexd.asp?id=223

                      Or, you might visit Surplus Shed, they come up with a few 80+mm short
                      f.l. lenses. You can get creative balancing the OTA without too much
                      hassle. lots of guys are making their own "copy scopes" this way.
                      Good Luck, Dave Castillo
                    • George Cushing
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 12, 2007
                        --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "dobdave1" <david.castillo1@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        > It can be done if you can get the focal length close enough, and be
                        > able to adapt the original lens cell just right to keep the internal
                        > baffles from vignetting.
                        >
                        > Look into this:
                        > http://www.islandeyepiece.com/shopexd.asp?id=223
                        >
                        > Or, you might visit Surplus Shed, they come up with a few 80+mm
                        short
                        > f.l. lenses. You can get creative balancing the OTA without too much
                        > hassle. lots of guys are making their own "copy scopes" this way.
                        > Good Luck, Dave Castillo

                        You'd have to add 8.25" in length to use that 560 f/l Objective and
                        2" to use a 400mm f/l. I've used a $30 63mm dia. 360mm f/l objective
                        from the shed to repair a ETX60 with a badly chipped objective. Their
                        80mm/400 in a cell for $30 might be worth experimenting with.

                        I've modified the old style ETX70 mount (similar to the ETX90 mount)
                        to accept various short tube scopes. We bought 50 returned early 70s
                        from Meade and sold off the optical tubes, the 20 or so 495 Autostars
                        that came with them and the healthy mounts. I got to play with the
                        broken ones. The conversions were sold to people who want to put a 90-
                        105 Mak on a goto mount. They would accomodate a 4" Orion Mak.

                        I've put some photos of the conversion in my album. One shows an
                        80mm short tube refractor mounted, but as you can see the length is
                        a bit or a problem.

                        One photos also shows my fix for the common ETX broken dec axle. It
                        also entails replacing the threaded stud in the hand wheel wheel with
                        a 1/4-20 threaded insert.
                        George