13439Re: [ETXASTRO] Entering seconds for custom object autostar 497

  • Brian Straight
    Aug 15, 2013
      Ron--

      I'll drink to that!

      Best,

      Brian

      Brian

      Brian Straight, Ph.D.
      The Walnut Ridge Observatory
      40.389452/-87.044881
      West Point, Indiana

      On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Chris Harvey <chris@...> wrote:

      I'm doing my best to get my head around this .. but also when applied to photography lenses and the angle of view, initially I thought a 10mm focal length lens was also telling you its apparent field of view, but when it comes to fish-eye or wide-angle lenses this isn't the case. I was considering the cheaper Nikkor 10mm lens as an alternative to the expensive 10mm wide-angle lens - but it turns out they have totally different fields of view, and the cheaper one does not get me a fish-eye lens, damn . ..
      This page has some very clever calculators; but I'm not claiming to fully understand it: www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/calc.htm

      I still don't understand why Stellarium is showing equatorial lines spaced by 5mins; thus Pleiades looks like it is 5 arc mins across, yet SEDS says its 110 arc mins across .. ? 5 mins makes sense. What is SEDS on about exactly? I have Googled/Wikiepedia'd this but I'm travelling in a 'circle of confusion' (not good if you've had a beer).

      On 15/08/2013 19:03, Ron wrote:

        Sometimes discussions stimulate me.

        Here is an explanation of the difference of Apparent and True FOVs.  I will probably forget it in a few hours .

      Other times discussions make me believe in something.  I believe I will go have a beer.

      Ron