Plug Caps

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2013
      Hi has anyone made a spark plug cap for the Rimfire plugs, that they would like to share. Or maybe purchased them.
      Regards Bo
    • David
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 27, 2013
        Bob,

        I've not used the rim fire plugs, I'm using ones made by my father (Whelan models) years ago. These use the same type of grooved electrode connector.
        I've kept it very simple on my sealion - I've used standard bullet connectors. Strip the insulation from the female connector and solder direct to the HT lead. Open up the end of the bullet connector to suit the plug and then fit a 1" long piece of heat shrink tube over the length of the connector
        Regards
        Dave

        --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" wrote:

        > Hi has anyone made a spark plug cap for the Rimfire plugs, that they would like to share. Or maybe purchased them.
        > Regards Bo

      • Jaime Quevedo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 27, 2013
          I found some vaccum elbows from Doorman in the US, they fit perfectly for my models, using rimfire sparking plugs they cost about 1.00 dollar each, so har dot beat, they remain flexible after years of use.

          Check model 4140 from Doorman vacuum elbows.

          kind regards.

          Jaime Quevedo

          On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 3:18 PM, David <whelan_d@...> wrote:

          Bob,

          I've not used the rim fire plugs, I'm using ones made by my father (Whelan models) years ago. These use the same type of grooved electrode connector.
          I've kept it very simple on my sealion - I've used standard bullet connectors. Strip the insulation from the female connector and solder direct to the HT lead. Open up the end of the bullet connector to suit the plug and then fit a 1" long piece of heat shrink tube over the length of the connector
          Regards
          Dave

          --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" wrote:

          > Hi has anyone made a spark plug cap for the Rimfire plugs, that they would like to share. Or maybe purchased them.
          > Regards Bo

        • Bob Dennis
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
            David,
                        Thanks for passing on your brilliant ideal for plug caps, and so simple. I altered your design by drilling a small hole in the side of the female connector. I then soldered the HT wire into it giving a 90 deg plug cap.  With cutting the heat shrink over length I was able to persuade it around the bend. Made up four this afternoon for my Mastiff. I will put a picture on the group photos section.