Sealion - what oil is recommended?

  • David
    Message 1 of 5 , May 22, 2012
      Appreciate any advise from the group regarding what oil is recommended for the Sealion engine? I'm close to final assembly and running in so need to fill the sump, I've considered conventional multigrade engine oils but suspect these will be too viscous, perhaps a 30 grade would be suitable. All advise welcomed

      Regards
      Dave
    • Jaime Quevedo
      Message 2 of 5 , May 22, 2012
        I like using Redline straight 30 for all my model engines, they do not run long enough to require anything more sophisticated.

        Kind regards.
        Jaime

        On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 5:10 PM, David <whelan_d@...> wrote:

        Appreciate any advise from the group regarding what oil is recommended for the Sealion engine? I'm close to final assembly and running in so need to fill the sump, I've considered conventional multigrade engine oils but suspect these will be too viscous, perhaps a 30 grade would be suitable. All advise welcomed

        Regards
        Dave

      • iroberts915
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2012
          A multigrade would be less viscous. 20/50 for instance is SAE 20 treated to make it behave like SAE 50 when necessary.
          Ian

          --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "David" <whelan_d@...> wrote:

          > Appreciate any advise from the group regarding what oil is recommended for the Sealion engine? I'm close to final assembly and running in so need to fill the sump, I've considered conventional multigrade engine oils but suspect these will be too viscous, perhaps a 30 grade would be suitable. All advise welcomed
          >
          > Regards
          > Dave

        • Dirk Tollenaar
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2012

            Hello,

            I believe that a single grade, 30 wt. is what most builders use.  Try to find Valvoline.

            Dirk

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 21, 2012
              Many thanks for all the advise on oil selection. Managed to get some Rock Oil 30 grade from the local garden machinery supplier.

              Engine has now been run in for 5 or 6 hours on the lathe, minimag electronic ignition fitted and distributor completed with hall affect sensor and 4 magnets fitted - I have nice fat sparks from all the plugs!

              Engine will be stripped, cleaned and inspected this weekend and hopefully re-assembled for the first run sometime next week.

              Thanks again for the advise from the group.

              If interested, I've posted a video of the running in on You tube. Search for videos from "CW49hydro". I'll add further videos of the engine once I have it running.

              Regards

              Dave