Re: Whelan Sealion

  • David
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 19, 2011
      Hi Edmund,

      Just a quick update on recent progress - head is now fitted with cast iron valve inserts - just facing them at present. All the cam followers and adjusters made and fitted - a particularly tedious job!! Next job will be the valves - again another tedius job, perhaps something to be done during the christmas holidays.

      The forum may also be interested to know that earlier this year, the patterns that my dad had made for ETW's Gemini and Kittiwake were passed to Hemmingway models - they will be making castings available, hopefully in the New Year. So if anyone fancies a new project, suggest you keep an eye on their website.

      Happy Christmas and Best wishes for the New Year

      Regards

      Dave Whelan

      --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, ED MAISEY <holmes_ca_2000@...> wrote:

      > Hello Dave,
      >    thank you for an interesting update, I'm sorry for the delay in responding to your interesting letter, I have been busy for the last couple of days doing other things, I'm so sorry to hear your dad is not with us anymore, its really nice that his son is carrying on to finish the engine, my wife Gisele keeps urging me to get mine finished, I bought my set of castings (Sealion) around 72 from Woking Models, I'm at a stage where I have to force myself, I keep going round in circles, I look at it and say to myself I should make gaskets next, then I think I need to paint it, and that means I have to disassemble, and then I shudder at the thought, so then I go back to gaskets again, and so nothing gets done that's how its been for the last 30 odd years, its like a stalemate,
      >
      > The lard cake reminds me of Spotted dog like a suet pudding, or bread and dripping, I still have on a regular occurrence two slices of fried bread for breakfast,
      >
      > I to am the proud owner of a Myford 31/2" "M" type (Drummond)  year1947, it irks me a bit when I see the prices they sell for on ebay, they really are an excellent lathe, I notice that the new Cowell lathes have the same designed main bed,
      >
      > Not much room for valve inserts is there, are you using cast iron?, good luck, are you going with the Magneto or electronic?,
      >
      > I,m interested in your progress please keep us posted,
      >
      > ........Edmund.........Alberta

    • ED MAISEY
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2011
        Hello David,

            good to hear from you, I see you have been busy, quite an interesting update about the inserts, will be interesting to see or hear the final outcome, I on the other hand have been dormant I'm afraid, well I may have progressed a bit from our last communication, I came up against a snag, and it might be worth your checking to see if you have the same snag, (I hope you don't), the outer part of my rockers feet (on the cams) are just a tiny bit too close to the edge of the camshaft housing, I made a Plexiglass cover and the feet of the rockers are hitting the inside face in that area, which makes it a bit awkward to rectify, I really don't want to fiddle with the rockers if I don't have to, and handling thin Plexiglass is a pain, but at the moment I have not pursued any ideas yet, thinking about owning property and the upkeep has led me to thinking about the time when we can't cope and moving into apartment dwelling, and so I have purchased a  Taig Lathe to start with in preparation of such a move, and so I have been concentrating on accessories for that,

        One other thing, are you going to use a gasket under the head and do you have it in place in your pictures where you have the gear train all lined up and meshed, the reason I ask I made the mistake of meshing the gears and then remembered I hadn't placed the head gasket, well that was annoying to say the least, but its fixed now,

        Have you wired the bolts on your connecting rods (bottom end), little bit of trivia, I got my wire from a large hardware store, you know sometimes you might see coils of wire or hose on the shelve and its being held by a thin wire twist and might have a brown label attached, get the picture, a bit long winded but the best I could do, my wire was .017 thou, and very pliable, I asked the salesman if I could take it , he obliged for free, there are some nice people still,

        calling off now, have a productive holiday, good luck  I look forward to your progress,