Timing train

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 18, 2010
      The timing gears on the Seagull are specified as 20, 20 & 40 teeth.
      Would it not have been better to specify the idler as 19 or 21 teeth
      to provide a 'hunting tooth' and even out the wear?
    • Corey Renner
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 18, 2010
        Yes, that would have been better.

        On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Charles <charles@...> wrote:
        The timing gears on the Seagull are specified as 20, 20 & 40 teeth.
        Would it not have been better to specify the idler as 19 or 21 teeth
        to provide a 'hunting tooth' and even out the wear?
      • Ted and Elly Hansen
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 18, 2010
          You cannot have a "hunting tooth" setup with timing gears because they
          must be a 2 to 1 ratio. 19 and 38 tooth would work but would not give a
          "hunting tooth" effect.
        • Corey Renner

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 20, 2010
              --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, Ted and Elly Hansen <tedhansen@...> wrote:

              > You cannot have a "hunting tooth" setup with timing gears because they
              > must be a 2 to 1 ratio.

              Thanks, but I am not that daft.
            • Giacomo
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 18, 2010
                Thought I'd jump in here just to be sure I understand some of the basics of gear trains...my "understanding" is that it does not matter how many teeth are in an idleror idlers...it has no bearing at all in the ratio of the input and output gears...the ratio of these remains unchanged, True or no?Jim
                --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <charles@...> wrote:

                > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, Ted and Elly Hansen <tedhansen@> wrote:
                > >
                > > You cannot have a "hunting tooth" setup with timing gears because they
                > > must be a 2 to 1 ratio.
                >
                > Thanks, but I am not that daft.

              • Corey Renner
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 18, 2010
                  True.

                  On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Giacomo <lee.jamesa@...> wrote:
                  Thought I'd jump in here just to be sure I understand some of the basics of gear trains...my "understanding" is that it does not matter how many teeth are in an idleror idlers...it has no bearing at all in the ratio of the input and output gears...the ratio of these remains unchanged, True or no?Jim
                • james wells
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 18, 2010
                    Hello,

                    I've previously used a gear chain with idlers and as long as the first and last gear wheels are in the correct ratio everything seemed to work as required.

                    Best wishes

                    JW.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 19, 2010
                      Jim,

                      As Corey stated, your understanding is correct.

                      For cam timing gears usual practice is to have a 2-to-1 ratio. In this case it means the tooth count of the gear on the crank would be doubled for the gear on the camshaft. If this is your own design it's worth considering using an idler gear with a prime number. This creates a "hunting tooth" effect which equalizes the wear on all the teeth of both the crank gear and the cam gear. If it's an existing design you may not wish to alter it.

                      Anthony
                      Berkeley, Calif.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 19, 2010
                        Hello Anthony,

                        You're probably correct about using an idler with a prime number of teeth. The engine that I used a geared system for worked well enough but did tend to "whine" in use so I eventually converted to a chain drive which proved much quieter.

                        The sprockets and chains proved much easier to find that gears anyway.

                        Best wishes

                        JW