Re: Kiwi based special,

  • peter_cassar
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2010
      I believe that's Kiwi mk2, watercooled head and cylinder, designed for the power boats.

      Peter.

      --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "philpjuk" <ParryJonesP@...> wrote:

      > Have uploaded three pics under this heading,the motor was powering a "straight runner" I purchased,the bottom end is kiwi based but with modified cam gear and with a top end I an unable to identify held on with five studs.I ran it,it rattled,I stripped it and its terribly worn,now turning a new drive end main bush and an oversize gudgeon pin.

    • Ambrose Spencer
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2010
        Dear Peter,

        There are also the Gannett by Nurthen that went to manufacture.
        http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/gan.html
        Two of these have been offered for sale, to my knowledge, at auctions in the UK over the last 10 years.

        The Channel Island Special is by Westbury.
        see two thirds down the page.  for example
        http://www.spmproductions.co.uk/CI6.JPG

        and
        http://www.radiocontrolmodels.co.uk/EngineGallery/English/Page1605.htm

        and model engine news.
        http://modelenginenews.org/ed.2005.02.html
        halfway down the page for the Channel Island Special.
        This design also went to manufacture by Jensen on Jersey Island,

        This is the full write up of the engine,
        http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/cis.html
        Including a technical description.
        It was available with magneto
        or contact ignition
        http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/images/cis_3.jpg
        at least 192 were sold.  but numbering may have started with 100; in this case at least 92 were sold.

        Several years ago when I read in back issues of Model Engineer, I think I recall seeing the construction article for this engine.
        I was attracted to the enclosed valve.  The Channel Island Special used Oil mist lubrication.  I do not know whether a water cooled version was made, or even designed.

        Ambrose Spencer.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2010
          Ambrose,
          Thanks for the info. I'll enjoy going over that.I'm very keen to start machining my castings.

          Cheers,
          Peter.

        • ParryJonesP@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2010
            Hi thanks for your interest,I think the bottom end is kiwi mk 1 based(plain bearing but the cam has followers pivoted on bushes on the cover securing studs)the top end does not belong,it has 5 securing holes instead of the kiwis 4 and the valves do not line up with the cam hence the bent pushrods.I sent the pics to "on the wire" and they believe that the top end may be an early Ted Vanner one that someone has mounted on an early kiwi bottom end.I have rebushed the crank and fitted an oversize gudgeon pin and it now runs smoothly but the valves are quite small so I do not expect a lot of power.The next job is to articulate the push rods as the bent ones twist and eventually miss the rockers!cheers,phil.