Hi

  • westers1965
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2009
      Dirk, Thank you for your welcome. I came across your group by accident and as E.T.W's grandson I thought it would an honour to sign up to a group that recognises my grandfathers work. It is very gratifying to see that even today people are still interested in a subject that Edgar Thomas was so passionate about. I cannot pretend to have inherited his technical brilliance as they definitely broke the mould when they made him but I am fascinated by his work and deeply proud to be a direct desendant. Edgar's son Edgar, my father, is still very much alive and kicking even if he is slowing down a little these days. I am sure he would be delighted to help if people have specific questions regarding ETW's work if he can.

      Kind Regards

      Patrick Westbury
    • ED MAISEY
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 7, 2009
        Welcome Patrick,
                     I have admired Edgar's work ever since I suddenly discovered the Model Engineer Magazine back in 1968 and while browsing the same mag I came across Woking Models that's where I first saw Sealion, I bought the whole kit, (glad I did), and almost 40 years later its still not finished, it's not something I'm not proud of, (the time period), but I'm determined It will be finished,

        Is it possible your father could write a few memories down on paper, some funny moments, or was Edgar a serious man, Im sure there is a lot of information on the Internet, perhaps some old photographs for the files,

        I hope I'm not being too nosey and offending in my request,

        It's my opinion he was a great man and he will be admired for his work in developing among other things the miniature models he designed for the hobbyist, and I place him up the top along with L.B.S.C. and others

        ........Edmund.........

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 10, 2009
          Hi Ed

          Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I have spoken to my father about getting some memories and anecdotes about ET's life and times down on paper. With my father getting on a bit himself nowadays it would be of value for me and my children too. Once he has something together I will be happy to share it with the group. From my our experience of him bearing in mind he died when I was quite young, he was a quiet, rather introverted chap who spent a lot of time in his study, as a child when visiting you wouldn't have dreamt of disturbing him in his study which I recall, from my brief visits in there to collect him at meal times, was a rambling mass of blue prints and papers shrouded in a thick tobacco fog. Having said that he was also gentle, kind and welcoming when he was out of his study, he was an old school grandpa smelling of old tweed and tobacco!

          I could ramble on but I shall post the much more authoritative version once my father has completed it

          Good luck with your project

          Patrick

          Dirk, Thank you for your welcome. I came across your group by accident and as E.T.W's grandson I thought it would an honour to sign up to a group that recognises my grandfathers work. It is very gratifying to see that even today people are still interested in a subject that Edgar Thomas was so passionate about. I cannot pretend to have inherited his technical brilliance as they definitely broke the mould when they made him but I am fascinated by his work and deeply proud to be a direct desendant. Edgar's son Edgar, my father, is still very much alive and kicking even if he is slowing down a little these days. I am sure he would be delighted to help if people have specific questions regarding ETW's work if he can.

          Kind Regards

          Patrick Westbury

          Vivid Interiors provides fit out and refurbishment services for retail, hotel, leisure, education and healthcare sectors across the UK. Find out more at: www.vividinteriors.com
        • Dirk Tollenaar
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 10, 2009

            Hello Patrick,

            If you have any pictures of ET, or his engines, please send them to me so I can post them to the group.

            Thanks,

            Dirk Tollenaar, Group Owner

            DTollenaar@...

            (214) 543-5202

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 10, 2009
              Hi Dirk

              I will sort out some suitable pictures and post them along with my father's musings in due course

              Patrick J Westbury

              If you have any pictures of ET, or his engines, please send them to me so I can post them to the group.

              Thanks,

              Dirk Tollenaar, Group Owner

              DTollenaar@SBCGloba l.NET

              (214) 543-5202

              ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ____
              For more information please visit http://www.messagel abs.com/email
              ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ____

              ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ___
              Vivid Interiors provides fit out and refurbishment services for retail, hotel, leisure, education and healthcare sectors across the UK. Find out more at: www.vividinteriors. com

              Vivid Interiors provides fit out and refurbishment services for retail, hotel, leisure, education and healthcare sectors across the UK. Find out more at: www.vividinteriors.com
            • Jaime
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 10, 2009

                Patrick, thank your Dad also for taking the time to put his memories in paper.

                I’m a great fan of ET’s designs, have built three very nice runners from his designs and currently leading a group build of three engines from the Wallaby design and castings. These engines will power boats for a group in San Francisco.

                So far the engines I’ve built from his designs are excellent and great runners.

                I have found that his engine designs demand a great deal of care in the execution of the machining operations, most of his ideas are easy to execute and very practical with a minimal demand of tools & equipment.

                Thanks so much in advance and best regards.

                Jaime Quevedo.

                Somewhere in California.

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 13, 2009
                  Hello,

                  Not long after the death of ETW there was an orbituary published written by the late Prof Dennis Chaddock. I may still just have a copy somewhere if this would be of interest.

                  Somewhere in my rather dusty files there is a mention of (from memory)......"with grateful thanks to Mr Malloy, (ETWs) son in law". Which seems to imply that ETW had a daughter who may still be alive.

                  Best wishes
                  James Wells
                  Saudi Arabia

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 13, 2009
                    Hello,

                    Have just just sent you some other details and don't know what you'll actually receive but something else has just occurred to me. Wasn't ETW at the great naval Battle of Jutland, and as such, one of the last survivors?

                    Best wishes
                    James Wells.
                    Saudi Arabia.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 13, 2009
                      Yes, you are correct ETW served upon HMS New Zealand at the battle of Jutland having run away to see from fairly humble circumstance at the age of 14. But as he died nearly 40 years ago I can't comment as to whether he was one of the last survivors. He started his Naval career as a stoker, which must have been an awful job especially as I am led to believe that if a ship was badly hit or went down, the engine room boys rarely made it out! But it was in the Navy that his flair for engineering was nurtured and he was trained by the navy as an engine room artificer, quite a coup at the time and he was fast tracked to the rank of Chief Petty Officer. He was always very proud of the "Artificer" title and I gather he wrote under this name.

                      He travelled widely during his time in the Navy and we still have a collection of his glass plate prints taken on his travels

                      I am off on my Hols, but I'll catch up on my return

                      Patrick J Westbury

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 13, 2009
                        Yup his son my father is still very much with us! As is peggy his eldest daughter and anne the youngest who is married to james malloy I'd love to see a copt of the obituary if you have one

                        Thanks

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 14, 2009
                          Dear Patrick and ET Westbury listserv,

                          My name is Ambrose Spencer, and I have enjoyed this exchange.

                          I have a question about the small portable gen set from the Second World War, for which ET Westbury designed the engine.  As I recall this produced 100 or 200 watts for light and communication.
                          In the Basement of Mass Inst. of Technology are back issues of the Model Engineer going back far enough to cover all of your grandfather's published projects.

                          My question is this.  Has anyone obtained the drawings for this engine, or possibly even the patterns for this engine.
                          My instinct, from having read most of what ET Westbury published in the Model Engineer, tells me he was just as good about engine reliability and durability when that was necessary for the job that needed to be done. as he was about designing an engine that worked well and was easy to to construct.  My sense is that this engine for the small motor generator must have been a particularly fine piece of work indeed, and I for one would like to know more about it.
                          I especially would like to know whether the engine has be replicated by any builders.  Patrick, I think there are important lessons in this piece of work by your grandfather.

                          With warm regards.

                          Ambrose Spencer.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 15, 2009
                            Hello,

                            I'm in the process of turning out my old records and I'll see if I can find the orbituary.

                            Incidently, one of my treasured possessions is an article written by ETW about why model engineers are just that. The closing remark was a classic "they bring a breathe of sanity into a crazy world".

                            At present I'm in the process of building what I hope will be an updated version of "Bumble Bee".
                            Best wishes
                            James Wells.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 15, 2009
                              Hello,

                              This memory is nearly 40 years old so don't look for fine details. ETW did design a small generator which apparently eventually made it to three sizes.

                              1) 15cc SV. bench top. Some details in a 1960 ME. I did briefly correspond with ETW about this engine but I have serious doubts that this version ever went into production.

                              2) 35cc SV. This engine was produced in largish numbers for charging aircraft and tank betteries and can occasionally be seen on the Stationary Egine circuit rallies, under the name "Tiny Tim".
                              3) 70cc SV. No other details known.

                              Hope this helps.

                              Best wishes

                              James Wells.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 16, 2009
                                Thank you James Wells,

                                The Tiny Tim, is the one I remember.

                                But the one I am particularly interested in is the small 15cc motor generator.
                                I believe there is a huge need for a low compression version of such a unit in the third world, running on kerosene and operating as a battery charger.
                                You wrote "I did briefly correspond with ETW about this engine".  Do you know whether he finished the engine design?
                                I have attached as a postscript what little I know about a 15 cc engine, the Channel Island Special, which he designed and which was offered for sale.  It would be helpful to learn where the drawings for this engine ended up.  I do not recall whether the engine was written up in Model Engineer as a construction project.  But Peter Chinn wrote an article (see postscript); he wrote at the end "I'm indebted to Dirk Tollenaar for the photos of his new pride and joy, and to fellow Motor Boy, Eric Offen (England <eric.offen@...> ) for copies of the original specification, operating, and machining instructions that helped so much with the preparation of his review."

                                Only 15 to 30 watts of solar electricity can transform the lives of people in the developing world.
                                and during the rainy season or when the weather turns cloudy such a small motor generator  could be a boon.  Right now the battery is often carried to town for recharging, or it is charged by a bicycle generator.

                                My calculation indicates that a 15cc motor generator at 3600 rpm would give about 100 watts.
                                A sewing machine operating off a battery could be run on this much power.  The fuel use would be very modest.  This would give a piston speed of only 600 feet per minute.
                                After the first world war, electric battery charging generators were sold in the UK as small as 50 watts, and 250 watts were quite common.  These were advertised in the Model Engineer.
                                Rural electricity in the US between the two world wars was dominated by the home lighting plants which were 500 to 1500 watt battery charging engine generator sets charging 32 volt batteries.
                                Such small engines lasted much longer if they were water cooled.
                                There is a small two stroke diesel of 1/4 horse, operating as a small irrigation pump that was developed in Holland and is now being made in India.  This engine had an overhung crank with all ball and roller bearings for easy rebuild.

                                Ambrose Spencer.

                                PS,
                                there were two 15cc engines manufactured in the UK for use in model motor boats.
                                The 15cc Gannett designed by G A Nurthen, available in air or water cooled.
                                http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/gan.html
                                and the Channel Island Special
                                http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/cis.html
                                designed by E T Westbury, and I suspect that this was the engine that was the starting point for the 15cc engine generator, that you corresponded with him about.  At the bottom of the page is a technical description of the engine.
                                http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/images/cis_1.jpg
                                This engine had a cast iron cylinder and an aluminum head.
                                It was designed for high speed and power for motor boat racing.
                                1949 (see citation below.)
                                So for durability and reliability in a small engine generator, the valve timing and other features might have been changed; another point of some importance is the need to cool the exhaust valve seat to reduce the rate of valve seat recession.  Returning now again to the Channel Island Special.
                                This engine
                                http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/images/cis_mm.jpg
                                made for sale in 1952 looks very similar.
                                This engine
                                http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/images/cis_5.jpg
                                is of more robust construction than the Gannet.
                                Gannets have appeared for sale on ebay and in the engine collector auctions, but I have never seen a Channel Island Special for sale.
                                The engine
                                http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/images/cis_3.jpg
                                was spark ignited.
                                But another version
                                http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/images/cis_me.jpg
                                was made with magneto ignition.

                                See
                                annon: I.C. Engines at the "M.E." Exhibition, Model Engineeer, Volume 101, Number 2522, Sep 22, 1949, p382.

                                Eric Offen
                                eric.offen@... <eric.offen@...>

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 1, 2009
                                  Hi all, back from my holidays, James, you are correct about the generator I recall seeing the completed article at the model engineering expo in London a few years back, when they did a retrospective of his work, I recall being surprised by the scale of it!!! small scale technology WWII style it only took two people to carry it!!!  but I can't help you with plans.

                                  Patrick J Westbury

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 2, 2009
                                  Hello Patrick,

                                  Glad you enjoyed the break.

                                  Would you clarify one point from your letter.

                                  Although there were brief details published in the ME about the 15cc generator I never did find any information about whether they ever went into production. The original ME article donsn't mention this either.

                                  I did own a 35 cc generator for a brief while and can confirm that it was a one ,man lift. You mention that you saw a generator at the  model engineering expo, was this indeed the 15cc job as I'm am intrigued that it was a two man lift

                                  Best wishes
                                  James Wells
                                  Saudi Arabia.

                                  PS I don't know if I've mentioned this previously but I'm well into building an updated version of ETWs "Bumble Bee", down load of progress enclosed.