Joint Varnish?,

  • ed
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2009
      E. T. Westbury mentions Joint varnish on the valve guides before pressing them into the cylinder head on the sealion, this was back in the 40s 50s, I have searched but to no avail, any member have ideas about the properties of this product?, would it be a kind of never seize?,

      ...........Edmund.........
    • james wells
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2009
        Hello,

        My late Father used to refer to thin grade "hermetite" as jount varnish.

        Hope this helps

        Best wishes
        James Wells.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2009

          In some period engines the use of Shellac for joints was the common method of sealing gaskets and joints.

          IN present time I use Loctite, depending on the amount of “press fit” usually Loctite 620 does the job nicely.

          Best regards.

          BTW Shellac can me made at home like the carpenters do, denatured alcohol and shellac flakes, or you can buy some from NAPA autostores for a couple of dollars.