coming improvements to Yahoo Groups

  • Carl Carlsen
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2008
      Folks, I just received a message from "Moderators Central" of a rather
      substantial change in the handling of email attachments. Note that
      this isnot effective 'immediately', but coming "within the next few
      weeks".

      _____

      Back by popular demand and coming soon -- Yahoo! Groups will be
      enhancing and reinstating a feature that will give moderators the
      ability to archive/store email attachments in Groups (removed 2003).
      This will allow your group members to retrieve attachments along with
      the original message at any time and not have to store them on their
      computers.

      OK, but what about the possibility of a virus within an attachments?
      That's a good source of a virus.

      The new procedure includes the ability for automatic virus scan of all
      attachments. And note that the attachments will be stored by Yahoo and
      available from the archived postings. Many of us have not permitted
      attachments on our Yahoo Groups because of the virus threat. It
      appears we may have to reconsider that restriction?

      Another improvement is the ability to post FILE copies direct to a
      folder of our own choosing, much like "moving" a PHOTO now. WOW, now
      that will make my life a lot easier. My Outlook files are busting at
      the seams. I'd sure like an easier way to move them to other folders
      for storage. There are several other features being improved as well.
      I'll post more about it when I get something from Yahoo.

      Carl
    • Paul J. Kettle, Jr.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2008
        Sounds good.  WIll that eliminate the problem of going back through the FILES section, trying to download an older yet still listed .JPG or .PDF, and being told the file is no longer available?

        Paul