New Member

  • Mike Freeman
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 17, 2008
      Hello, My name is Mike and I am a relative novice model engineer. I retired from the Fire Service in 2001 and now live in Brixham, Devon, UK.

      I recently purchased a set of Seal castings  and will begin building it from January 2009 onwards. I look forward to seeing all there is to see on this forum and look forward to actively participating where I can.

      For a more detailed background on my modelling to date may I suggest a visit to my model engineering website and blog. The addresses are as follows.

      Kindest regards,

      Mike
    • Jaime Quevedo
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 17, 2008
        Mike:

        Glad to see I'm not the only one having too many projects, and I'm not retired yet so I do not have much time to do them.

        I have built one of the Westbury seal, one Sealion and I'm in the middle of building two Masxtiff's, why two, well I bought a set of castings from Hemingway and then one friend gave me his set main cranckcase casting was missing and he had no intent in building it.

        Seal is a great project, but it can be very frustrating, very little space to build all the components and there are some errors in the design which can be easily corrected, two major ones are studs for the head and manifold crash in a couple of positions, some builders have tackled this by making a step stud, works great in the Sealion.
        Another one is the offset of the crank and cylinders, causing a bent connecting rod or having to notch the cylinder liners after installation.

        I built a different set of cams ( ground) for the engine, but I'm still to try them in the engine, one is the original design and the other ones uses the timing pattern and lobes from the Sealion, it is still in the box, have not been motivated to dismantle and change cam to try it.

        Bets of luck and keep making chips.

        Jaime

        On Sep 17, 2008, at 8:28 AM, Mike Freeman wrote:

        Hello, My name is Mike and I am a relative novice model engineer. I retired from the Fire Service in 2001 and now live in Brixham, Devon, UK.

        I recently purchased a set of Seal castings  and will begin building it from January 2009 onwards. I look forward to seeing all there is to see on this forum and look forward to actively participating where I can.

        For a more detailed background on my modelling to date may I suggest a visit to my model engineering website and blog. The addresses are as follows.

        Kindest regards,

        Mike
        <imstp_animation_butterflies_en_020908.gif>

      • silvercaddyspoon
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 19, 2008
          Hello Jamie, many thanks for contacting me. Its really nice to know
          that I have a name of a builder...you may come to regret Emailing me!

          I haven't heard of the issues you raise so that's really very useful.
          Did you take any photo's of your build?

          The cam you made, its one of the parts I am a little apprehensive of,
          but I hope to build a cam making fixture......

          I won't start the build until January 09 as I try to discipline
          myself with projects. The key is try as success isn't always that
          great. Would you mind if I contact you when the build starts?

          Anyway many thanks for making contact.

          Kindest regards, Mike

          --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, Jaime Quevedo

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 19, 2008
            Mike:

            I will take some picture of the engine, it is in the run stand that I use for different engines, have not made a permanent box for it.

            I have a different head on it at the time, but will take some picture of both fixtures, who knows they may provide some ideas..

            Do not worry about the camshaft, making it is an enterprise, but mostly is patience, once you made one lobe, the rest is a bit of the same, however take very good care in getting the right profile in the right sequence, I've made the mistake twice and ended up with counter rotation in the camshafts..

            Check the build they did in the Craftsmanship museum in the past year for the same engine, they have some nice pictures and some limited feedback..

            Feel free to reach out in case of any queries..

            Best  regards.

            Jaime.

            <quevedo.jaime@ ...> wrote:

            > Mike:
            >
            > Glad to see I'm not the only one having too many projects, and I'm
            not
            > retired yet so I do not have much time to do them.
            >
            > I have built one of the Westbury seal, one Sealion and I'm in the
            > middle of building two Masxtiff's, why two, well I bought a set of
            > castings from Hemingway and then one friend gave me his set main
            > cranckcase casting was missing and he had no intent in building it.
            >
            > Seal is a great project, but it can be very frustrating, very
            little
            > space to build all the components and there are some errors in the
            > design which can be easily corrected, two major ones are studs for
            the
            > head and manifold crash in a couple of positions, some builders
            have
            > tackled this by making a step stud, works great in the Sealion.
            > Another one is the offset of the crank and cylinders, causing a
            bent
            > connecting rod or having to notch the cylinder liners after
            > installation.
            >
            > I built a different set of cams ( ground) for the engine, but I'm
            > still to try them in the engine, one is the original design and
            the
            > other ones uses the timing pattern and lobes from the Sealion, it
            is
            > still in the box, have not been motivated to dismantle and change
            cam
            > to try it.
            >
            > Bets of luck and keep making chips.
            >
            > Jaime
            >

            > On Sep 17, 2008, at 8:28 AM, Mike Freeman wrote:
            >

            > > Hello, My name is Mike and I am a relative novice model engineer.
            > > retired from the Fire Service in 2001 and now live in Brixham,
            > > Devon, UK.
            > >
            > > I recently purchased a set of Seal castings and will begin
            building
            > > it from January 2009 onwards. I look forward to seeing all there
            is
            > > to see on this forum and look forward to actively participating
            > > where I can.
            > >
            > > For a more detailed background on my modelling to date may I
            suggest
            > > a visit to my model engineering website and blog. The addresses
            are
            > > as follows.
            > >
            > > 1 http://www.mikes- models.com
            > > 2 http://www.mikes- models.com/ blog
            > >
            > > Kindest regards,
            > >
            > > Mike
            > > <imstp_animation_ butterflies_ en_020908. gif>

          • Charles
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 13, 2010
              Hello, people.

              I joined this group a few weeks ago, so I thought I had better introduce myself. I am a retired mechanical engineer living in England. I have been doing model engineering for 40 odd years. Most of the time I seem to do toolmaking. I decided it was time I actually made a model,
              and thought, never having built one, a petrol engine would be an interesting but fairly well contained project.

              As a fairly modest project I fancied a twin, and am starting out on a Seagull, using the Hemingway kit. First question of many: has anybody else built one?

              Charles