Headstock Dividing WESTBURY'S PHOENIX

  • Carl Carlsen
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7, 2008
      Malcolm,
      I 'saved' your posting of almost a month ago. I have been to the
      Hemmingway site many times, but found the "myhobbystore" site very
      interesting. Not sure why I've never found it previously? Thanks for
      that as it is a great site.

      Just on the outside chance, I'll ask this question ....
      I own an EMCO "super 11" lathe. I'd like to have a Headstock Dividing
      Attachment of some sort. On the site mentioned, I found the following
      listed:

      ****************
      Headstock Dividing Attachment WE34
      Designer: G Thomas Star Rating: Suitable for Myford
      lathes, details of devices for ML7, Super 7 and
      ML10.... Only £5.95
      *************

      In case £ doesn't print, that's UKP, so double it and add some shipping
      and I suppose I could get them for around $15.00 US? However, I don't
      know how much modification would be needed to make it work on a Super
      11? Anyone built some sort of dividing attachment on their headstock?

      http://www.myhobbystore.com and construction
      http://www.hemingwaykits.com
      >Dave Churchman has made a batch of, .....
    • Brian Fairey
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 7, 2008
        Carl one simple way written up in the ME had a bracket bolted to the
        headstock and supporting a spring loaded plunger the engaged the teeth
        of the bull wheel. I suspect that is all you are getting for
        $8.00 some pieces of metal with a drawing.
        If you are really insistent I will find the pieces and take a photo.
        Brian Fairey.

        Carl Carlsen wrote:
        > Malcolm,
        > I 'saved' your posting of almost a month ago. I have been to the
        > Hemmingway site many times, but found the "myhobbystore" site very
        > interesting. Not sure why I've never found it previously? Thanks for
        > that as it is a great site.
        >
        > Just on the outside chance, I'll ask this question ....
        > I own an EMCO "super 11" lathe. I'd like to have a Headstock Dividing
        > Attachment of some sort. On the site mentioned, I found the following
        > listed:
        >
        > ****************
        > Headstock Dividing Attachment WE34
        > Designer: G Thomas Star Rating: Suitable for Myford
        > lathes, details of devices for ML7, Super 7 and
        > ML10.... Only £5.95
        > *************
        >
        > In case £ doesn't print, that's UKP, so double it and add some shipping
        > and I suppose I could get them for around $15.00 US? However, I don't
        > know how much modification would be needed to make it work on a Super
        > 11? Anyone built some sort of dividing attachment on their headstock?
        >

        >> From: Malcolm Beak
        >> Drawings are still available through
        >>
        > http://www.myhobbystore.com and construction
        >
        >> notes, plans and castings from
        >>
        > http://www.hemingwaykits.com
        >
        >> Dave Churchman has made a batch of, .....

      • David Everett
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 7, 2008
          Carl/Malcolm

          I have built the GHT Headstock dividing head for my Myford S7.  It is a very neat piece of equipment, like all  the GHT tools.

          Basicly what it is, is a worm wheel engaging with the back gear bullwheel, and the whole operating like a normal dividing head.

          To get it to fit, there is a bar that is located beween the two end of the headstock casing with an arm carrying the worm wheel mounted at 90 degrees to the mounting.  This arm is held in position by a screw down contrivance so that the worm and bullwheel stay in mesh.

          So, to get this system to work on the Emco, first you will be need to be able to get access to the back gear bullwheel and somehow keep the worm wheel in mesh with the bullwheel.

          No castings are required.  For the Myford, some 3/4" square bar, a couple of blocks of steel about 1-1/2" cube, + material for the worm wheel 1-1/4" x 6" should do it The 1/8" plate to make the division plates.

          I should add that the tool is only mounted when required, which in my case is never! and takes a few seconds only.  I find that I can do any dividing required with a plunger in the bullwheel.  If you can get hold of the book Dividing And Graduating by GHT, all the drawings are there in usable size, along with George's excellent machining instructions and a good description of dividing in general.

          Regards

          Dave
          The Emerald Isle

          ************ ****
          ************ *

          In case £ doesn't print, that's UKP, so double it and add some shipping
          and I suppose I could get them for around $15.00 US? However, I don't
          know how much modification would be needed to make it work on a Super
          11? Anyone built some sort of dividing attachment on their headstock?

          >From: Malcolm Beak
          >Drawings are still available through
          http://www.myhobbys tore.com and construction
          >notes, plans and castings from
          http://www.hemingwa ykits.com
          >Dave Churchman has made a batch of, .....

          Yahoo! for Good helps you make a difference
        • Carl Carlsen
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 7, 2008
            Thanks Brian. Problem is, the way the Emco is built (geared head) all
            the gears are "inside" and there doesn't seem to be a good way to build
            anything to engage the "bull wheel." I think I'd have to devise
            something that would securely clamp on the end of the spindle where it
            comes out on the back side of the head? Appreciate the answer though.

            Carl

            >From: Brian Fairey

            >Carl one simple way written up in the ME had a
            >bracket bolted to the headstock and supporting
            >a spring loaded plunger the engaged the teeth
            >of the bull wheel. I suspect that is all you
            >are getting for $8.00 some pieces of metal with
            >a drawing.
            >If you are really insistent I will find the
            >pieces and take a photo.
          • Carl Carlsen
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 7, 2008
               > From:    David Everett
               > Basicly what it is, is a worm wheel engaging with the back gear bullwheel,
              > and the whole operating like a normal dividing head.

              Thanks Dave.  As per my note back to Brian,  my bullwheel is rather "inaccessible!"    I'll have to post a photo of the head of my lathe & see if anyone has any ideas.    It might be possible to secure a dividing attachment to the spindle where it projects from the back of the head?.

               > So, to get this system to work on the Emco, first you will be need to
              >  be able to get access to the back gear bullwheel and somehow keep
              > the worm wheel in mesh with the bullwheel.

              Kinda difficult with my setup I think.    Thanks for your description of what you have.

               > If you can get hold of the book Dividing And Graduating by GHT,
              > all the drawings are there in usable size, along with George's excellent
              > machining instructions and a good description of dividing in general.

              Yeah, I get all these books and then either don't read them, or forget where I saw what!   I do have GHT's book and I'll study that a bit.   Thanks Dave.

              Carl

              Regards

              Dave
              The Emerald Isle

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 8, 2008
                Carl

                As per Brian's reply, for the amount of dividing that most people need/do, I would suggest a gear wheel (lathe change wheel or w.h.y) on an expanding arbor at the open end of the mandrel and a spring loaded plunger to engage the teeth.

                Use a plunger that engages normally but has a cut out in the shape of the tooth form across it so that when the plunger is turned 90 degrees, you can engage the half tooth position, thereby doubling the number of divisions available.

                Using different gears permits  different division possibilities.  My simple head on the milling machine uses 48 & 50 tooth wheels.
                  Almost the same diameter and gives a useful range of divisions.

              • catboat15@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 13, 2008
                  I made an expanding arbor that fits into the bore of the head stock from the back (left) end and a bracket on the bench carried an arm with a stop. I could any of my change gears as part of a dividing head. Served me well before I got a dividing head for my little Chinese mill.

                  It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.