Seal Major - things I should know

  • Malcolm Duckett
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8 1:17 PM
      So I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Seal Major kit from
      Hemmingway...

      I was wondering if there is anyhing I should know (e.g. known bugs in
      the drawings etc.) - I have already figued out I need to paint over
      the drawings in the ME articles for the Seal as it is just TOO
      tempting to accidentally read the dimenson off their instead of the
      seal Major drawings! (yes I did this!)

      Malcolm
    • Malcolm Beak
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8 2:50 PM
        --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Duckett"
        <MALCOLM@...> wrote:

        > So I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Seal Major kit from
        > Hemmingway...
        >
        > I was wondering if there is anyhing I should know (e.g. known bugs in
        > the drawings etc.) - I have already figued out I need to paint over
        > the drawings in the ME articles for the Seal as it is just TOO
        > tempting to accidentally read the dimenson off their instead of the
        > seal Major drawings! (yes I did this!)
        >
        > Malcolm

        Having recently built a Seal 15, I came across a design fault that has
        been there from the beginning, but as far as I know has never been
        publisised - two of the cylinder head and manifold studs clash. This
        fault is also on the Seal Major. If you go to the Seal building project
        at http://craftsmanshipmuseum.com/sealeng.htm you will see a solution
        to the problem. Basically, the manifold studs are made with a large
        end, in my case it was 2BA - there is just room to fit this size
        between the ports. The hole for the head stud is then drilled through
        that enlarged end. I think the craftemanship museum people just used a
        plain end on the manifold stud, so when the manifold was put on, the
        head stud was put into shear. I have some photos of my solution, and if
        you want I'll try and download them to this site.

        Malcolm B
      • Jaime Quevedo
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8 4:35 PM
          Malcolm:

          I'm done with the construction of the same engine, I got so frustrated with design flaws that I abandoned the project for almost a year, finally got bored of the other stuff and came back to it..

          Two major flaws, crankshaft is off center, this causes alignment and problems with connecting rods as designed, this may be corrected in a couple of ways.

          ANother major issue is alignment of bolts securing the head to the block and bolts securing the intake/exhaust manifold, they collide in the design, there are a couple of ideas, one used in the sealion by Westbury later on or not using the manifold bolts.

          Distributor, I decided to make my own adaptation, not using the distributor/water pump design followed by others, due to lack of availability of skew gears in the right size, and me unwilling to spend six months figuring out the way to build them.

          Some of the castings were not as good as I expected, specially head compression chambers were different sizes, messy etc.

          Manifold casting, not much room for error, walls are too thin, be careful there.

          My design is finally finished, not ran yet, building a box, water pump, starter, ignition is hall effect CDI, so kind of slowly going at it.

          Let me konw if you have any questions, ideas.

          best regards.

          Jaime.

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9 1:48 AM
            --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, Jaime Quevedo
            <quevedo.jaime@...> wrote:

            > Malcolm:
            >
            > I'm done with the construction of the same engine, I got so
            frustrated
            > with design flaws that I abandoned the project for almost a year,
            > finally got bored of the other stuff and came back to it..
            >
            > Two major flaws, crankshaft is off center, this causes alignment
            and
            > problems with connecting rods as designed, this may be corrected in
            > couple of ways.
            >
            > ANother major issue is alignment of bolts securing the head to the
            > block and bolts securing the intake/exhaust manifold, they collide
            in
            > the design, there are a couple of ideas, one used in the sealion
            by
            > Westbury later on or not using the manifold bolts.
            >
            > Distributor, I decided to make my own adaptation, not using the
            > distributor/water pump design followed by others, due to lack of
            > availability of skew gears in the right size, and me unwilling to
            > spend six months figuring out the way to build them.
            >
            > Some of the castings were not as good as I expected, specially
            head
            > compression chambers were different sizes, messy etc.
            >
            > Manifold casting, not much room for error, walls are too thin, be
            > careful there.
            >
            > My design is finally finished, not ran yet, building a box, water
            > pump, starter, ignition is hall effect CDI, so kind of slowly going
            at
            > it.
            >
            > Let me konw if you have any questions, ideas.
            >
            > best regards.
            >
            > Jaime.

            Jamie

            The cylinder bores were designed to be offset from the crankshaft
            centreline. I gather that this was fairly common practice in the 30's
            and 40's. The idea was that there would be reduced lateral thrust on
            the pistons during the power stroke. Westbury used this design
            feature on several of his creations.
            There are skew gears available, although not quite as small as
            originally called for. On my Seal 15, the distributor is a few
            degrees off vertical in order to clear the end of the crankshaft. I
            have a few pairs of gears spare that I could be persuaded to part
            with! Of course, you can have the distributor mounted horizontally
            directly on the end of the cam shaft - details of this method should
            be included with your drawings. Of course, this means that if you
            want a water pump it will have to be mounted separately and driven
            off the end of the crankshaft.
            Yes there's not a lot of spare metal on the manifolds, but plenty of
            people have made successful jobs of it. One of the most awkward jobs
            was producing gaskets for the head and manifolds – there is so little
            material left between the numerous holes. I finally decided that
            press tools were the only answer, and in fact it only took me a
            morning to make one each for the head and manifolds.
            You will find some pictures in the photo section

            Malcolm B

            > On Mar 8, 2008, at 1:17 PM, Malcolm Duckett wrote:
            >
            > > So I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Seal Major kit from
            > > Hemmingway...
            > >
            > > I was wondering if there is anyhing I should know (e.g. known
            bugs in
            > > the drawings etc.) - I have already figued out I need to paint
            over
            > > the drawings in the ME articles for the Seal as it is just TOO
            > > tempting to accidentally read the dimenson off their instead of
            the
            > > seal Major drawings! (yes I did this!)
            > >
            > > Malcolm

          • Malcolm Duckett
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 9 3:28 AM
              Jaime, thanks for this - I had previously read about the stud clash,
              but was unaware of the crank/rod alligment problems, can you explain
              this in a bit more detail please?

              I was thinking of re-making the ignition and abandoing contact
              breakers. I had good sucess on a larger engine (racing 5.7L chevvy!)
              with a IR chopper which used the leading and trailing edges of the
              choppers to provide full advance and full retard for
              starting/running and this worked very well

              Malcolm

              <quevedo.jaime@...> wrote:

              > Malcolm:
              >
              > I'm done with the construction of the same engine, I got so
              frustrated
              > with design flaws that I abandoned the project for almost a year,
              > finally got bored of the other stuff and came back to it..
              >
              > Two major flaws, crankshaft is off center, this causes alignment
              and
              > problems with connecting rods as designed, this may be corrected in
              > couple of ways.
              >
              > ANother major issue is alignment of bolts securing the head to the
              > block and bolts securing the intake/exhaust manifold, they collide
              in
              > the design, there are a couple of ideas, one used in the sealion
              by
              > Westbury later on or not using the manifold bolts.
              >
              > Distributor, I decided to make my own adaptation, not using the
              > distributor/water pump design followed by others, due to lack of
              > availability of skew gears in the right size, and me unwilling to
              > spend six months figuring out the way to build them.
              >
              > Some of the castings

              > <SNIP>
            • Malcolm Duckett
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 9 3:30 AM
                Thanks for this Malcolm,

                I had read about the stud clash somewhere previously, but I had
                missed the idea of using the manifold stud to lock an unthreaded head
                stud - this makes some good sense i think.

                Regards,

                Malcolm

                --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Beak"