Atom Minor Mk 1

  • Mark Williams
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1 5:12 PM
      Hello all!
      I am in need of a set of plans or direction to the construction article
      (If one) in Model Engineer of the Atom Minor Mk 1 15 cc engine by ETW
      thanks
      Mark
    • Malcolm Beak
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 3 1:28 AM
        --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Williams" <mabw@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello all!
        > I am in need of a set of plans or direction to the construction
        article
        > (If one) in Model Engineer of the Atom Minor Mk 1 15 cc engine by
        ETW
        > thanks
        > Mark

        Hi Mark
        The Atom Minor Mk1 was described in Volume 67 (1932) of Model
        Engineer, starting in issue 1640. In his book "Model Petrol Engines",
        Westbury gives a short description and includes a couple of photos of
        the engine.
        Not having the relavent copy of ME, I can't say if there was actually
        a construction series or how complete the drawings were. There
        certainly havn't been any drawings available for many years if indeed
        they ever were. I have a 1960 copy of the drawings available from
        Percival Marshal - the then publishers of ME - and in the list of
        petrol engine drawings which are numbered from PE1 to PE20 the only
        one labled "plan withdrawn" is PE2, so maybe that was the one for the
        Atom Minor Mk1.

        Sorry I can't be more helpful Malcolm
      • Mark Williams
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 3 9:39 PM
          Malcolm,
          Thanks for the reply. At least I have a place to start looking. I
          will go to the State Library as I know they have back copies either
          bound or microfilmed. I have "Model Petrol Engines" and "The Atom
          Minor mk3" books also.
          thanks
          Mark
          --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Beak"
          <malcolmbeak@...> wrote:

          > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Williams" <mabw@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello all!
          > > I am in need of a set of plans or direction to the construction
          > article
          > > (If one) in Model Engineer of the Atom Minor Mk 1 15 cc engine by
          > ETW
          > > thanks
          > > Mark
          > >
          > Hi Mark
          > The Atom Minor Mk1 was described in Volume 67 (1932) of Model
          > Engineer, starting in issue 1640. In his book "Model Petrol Engines",
          > Westbury gives a short description and includes a couple of photos of
          > the engine.
          > Not having the relavent copy of ME, I can't say if there was actually
          > a construction series or how complete the drawings were. There
          > certainly havn't been any drawings available for many years if indeed
          > they ever were. I have a 1960 copy of the drawings available from
          > Percival Marshal - the then publishers of ME - and in the list of
          > petrol engine drawings which are numbered from PE1 to PE20 the only
          > one labled "plan withdrawn" is PE2, so maybe that was the one for the
          > Atom Minor Mk1.
          >
          > Sorry I can't be more helpful Malcolm

        • Ambrose Spencer
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 5 2:25 PM
            Dear Mark,

            Ten years ago I studied back issues of Model Engineer, for small IC engine patterns.  MIT has them going back to almost the beginning,  But last year I found that they had put the older issues away into an annex.

            You may want to look in woldcat, which is a database of library holdings in the western world, and search on serial publications. you might find a collection of these in an engineering school near you.

            Westbury's articles in ME were almost without exception construction plans and instructions.

            Ambrose Spencer

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 5 10:12 PM
              Dear Ambrose,
              Thanks for your reply, I will go to my local State Library tomorrow.
              They list as having "Model Engineer" in their catalog.
              regards
              Mark Williams
              --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, Ambrose Spencer
              <ambroserspencer@...> wrote:

              > Dear Mark,
              >
              > Ten years ago I studied back issues of Model Engineer, for small IC
              engine patterns. MIT has them going back to almost the beginning,
              But last year I found that they had put the older issues away into an
              annex.

              > You may want to look in woldcat, which is a database of library
              holdings in the western world, and search on serial publications. you
              might find a collection of these in an engineering school near you.

              > Westbury's articles in ME were almost without exception construction
              plans and instructions.

              > Ambrose Spencer
              >

              > Mark Williams <mabw@...> wrote:
              Malcolm,
              > Thanks for the reply. At least I have a place to start looking. I
              > will go to the State Library as I know they have back copies either
              > bound or microfilmed. I have "Model Petrol Engines" and "The Atom
              > Minor mk3" books also.
              > thanks
              > Mark
              > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Beak"
              > <malcolmbeak@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Williams" <mabw@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello all!
              > > > I am in need of a set of plans or direction to the construction
              > > article
              > > > (If one) in Model Engineer of the Atom Minor Mk 1 15 cc engine by
              > > ETW
              > > > thanks
              > > > Mark
              > > >
              > > Hi Mark
              > > The Atom Minor Mk1 was described in Volume 67 (1932) of Model
              > > Engineer, starting in issue 1640. In his book "Model Petrol
              Engines",
              > > Westbury gives a short description and includes a couple of
              photos of
              > > the engine.
              > > Not having the relavent copy of ME, I can't say if there was
              actually
              > > a construction series or how complete the drawings were. There
              > > certainly havn't been any drawings available for many years if
              indeed
              > > they ever were. I have a 1960 copy of the drawings available from
              > > Percival Marshal - the then publishers of ME - and in the list of
              > > petrol engine drawings which are numbered from PE1 to PE20 the only
              > > one labled "plan withdrawn" is PE2, so maybe that was the one for
              the
              > > Atom Minor Mk1.
              > >
              > > Sorry I can't be more helpful Malcolm
              > >

              > ---------------------------------
              user panel and lay it on us.

            • Mark Williams
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 6 10:45 PM
                Well I have just been to my local State Library and their copies of
                Model Engineer only go back as far as 1945, so........ If anyone can
                help who has some 1932 editions to look at for me that would be great
                ....if not I am stuffed!
                regards
                Mark

                wrote:

                > Dear Ambrose,
                > Thanks for your reply, I will go to my local State Library tomorrow.
                > They list as having "Model Engineer" in their catalog.
                > regards
                > Mark Williams
                > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, Ambrose Spencer
                > <ambroserspencer@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Dear Mark,
                > >
                > > Ten years ago I studied back issues of Model Engineer, for small IC
                > engine patterns. MIT has them going back to almost the beginning,
                > But last year I found that they had put the older issues away into an
                > annex.
                > >
                > > You may want to look in woldcat, which is a database of library
                > holdings in the western world, and search on serial publications. you
                > might find a collection of these in an engineering school near you.
                > >
                > > Westbury's articles in ME were almost without exception construction
                > plans and instructions.
                > >
                > > Ambrose Spencer
                > >

                > > Mark Williams <mabw@> wrote:
                > Malcolm,
                > > Thanks for the reply. At least I have a place to start looking. I
                > > will go to the State Library as I know they have back copies either
                > > bound or microfilmed. I have "Model Petrol Engines" and "The Atom
                > > Minor mk3" books also.
                > > thanks
                > > Mark
                > > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Beak"
                > > <malcolmbeak@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Williams" <mabw@>

                > > > article
                > > > ETW
                > > > >
                > > > Hi Mark
                > > > The Atom Minor Mk1 was described in Volume 67 (1932) of Model
                > > > Engineer, starting in issue 1640. In his book "Model Petrol
                > Engines",
                > > > Westbury gives a short description and includes a couple of
                > photos of
                > > > the engine.
                > > > Not having the relavent copy of ME, I can't say if there was
                > actually
                > > > a construction series or how complete the drawings were. There
                > > > certainly havn't been any drawings available for many years if
                > indeed
                > > > they ever were. I have a 1960 copy of the drawings available from
                > > > Percival Marshal - the then publishers of ME - and in the list of
                > > > petrol engine drawings which are numbered from PE1 to PE20 the
                only
                > > > one labled "plan withdrawn" is PE2, so maybe that was the one for
                > the
                > > > Atom Minor Mk1.
                > > >
                > > > Sorry I can't be more helpful Malcolm
                > > >

                > > ---------------------------------
                > > Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s
                > user panel and lay it on us.

              • Ambrose Spencer
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 7 12:35 PM
                  Dear Mark,

                  I suggested that you look in world cat.

                  I did that.  you want volume 67.  I don't know what state you are in.  of the 36 libraries holding model engineer.  the libraries that hold this item are
                  smithsonian and the library of congress.
                  cleveland
                  bridgeport CT
                  Texas A&M
                  and milwaukee

                  there are a dozen additional libraries that do not identify how far back they go; you would have to go on line to the libraries one at a time, choosing the large industrial cities first, i would say.

                  I think you should call the Model Engineer in London and see who has microfilm, and then order copies of the pages you desire in the issues including the construction article.  ]

                  There is also the ET Westbury site, that has construction articles for a few of his engines in digital facsimile.

                  Ambrose.

                  wrote:

                  > Dear Ambrose,
                  > Thanks for your reply, I will go to my local State Library tomorrow.
                  > They list as having "Model Engineer" in their catalog.
                  > regards
                  > Mark Williams
                  > --- In ETWestburyEngines@ yahoogroups. com, Ambrose Spencer
                  > <ambroserspencer@ > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dear Mark,
                  > >
                  > > Ten years ago I studied back issues of Model Engineer, for small IC
                  > engine patterns. MIT has them going back to almost the beginning,
                  > But last year I found that they had put the older issues away into an
                  > annex.
                  > >
                  > > You may want to look in woldcat, which is a database of library
                  > holdings in the western world, and search on serial publications. you
                  > might find a collection of these in an engineering school near you.
                  > >
                  > > Westbury's articles in ME were almost without exception construction
                  > plans and instructions.
                  > >
                  > > Ambrose Spencer
                  > >

                  > > Mark Williams <mabw@> wrote:
                  > Malcolm,
                  > > Thanks for the reply. At least I have a place to start looking. I
                  > > will go to the State Library as I know they have back copies either
                  > > bound or microfilmed. I have "Model Petrol Engines" and "The Atom
                  > > Minor mk3" books also.
                  > > thanks
                  > > Mark
                  > > --- In ETWestburyEngines@ yahoogroups. com, "Malcolm Beak"
                  > > <malcolmbeak@ > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In ETWestburyEngines@ yahoogroups. com, "Mark Williams" <mabw@>

                  > > > article
                  > > > ETW
                  > > > >
                  > > > Hi Mark
                  > > > The Atom Minor Mk1 was described in Volume 67 (1932) of Model
                  > > > Engineer, starting in issue 1640. In his book "Model Petrol
                  > Engines",
                  > > > Westbury gives a short description and includes a couple of
                  > photos of
                  > > > the engine.
                  > > > Not having the relavent copy of ME, I can't say if there was
                  > actually
                  > > > a construction series or how complete the drawings were. There
                  > > > certainly havn't been any drawings available for many years if
                  > indeed
                  > > > they ever were. I have a 1960 copy of the drawings available from
                  > > > Percival Marshal - the then publishers of ME - and in the list of
                  > > > petrol engine drawings which are numbered from PE1 to PE20 the
                  only
                  > > > one labled "plan withdrawn" is PE2, so maybe that was the one for
                  > the
                  > > > Atom Minor Mk1.
                  > > >
                  > > > Sorry I can't be more helpful Malcolm
                  > > >

                  > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                  > > Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s
                  > user panel and lay it on us.

                • Mark Williams
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 7 7:28 PM
                    Ambrose,
                    Yes thanks for the suggestion, I did follow your advice the other
                    day without any luck, I am in Australia so the Libraries on world
                    cat were not near me. I will try Model engineer to see if they can
                    help, will also check with some of the guys in the local model
                    engineer club to see if they know of anyone with old copies. Did not
                    know of the E T Westbury site so I will try and locate that.
                    thanks
                    Mark

                    <ambroserspencer@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > bound or microfilmed. I have "Model Petrol Engines" and "The
                    Atom
                    > > > Minor mk3" books also.
                    > > > thanks
                    > > > Mark
                    > > > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Beak"

                    > engine by

                    Model
                    > > Engines",
                    > > photos of
                    > > actually
                    There
                    > > indeed
                    > only
                    > > the

                    > > > ---------------------------------
                    > > > Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join
                    Yahoo!'s
                    > > user panel and lay it on us.
                    > > >

                    > ---------------------------------
                    > Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo!
                    Travel.

                  • Ambrose Spencer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 8 12:05 PM
                      Dear Mark

                      the World Cat here in the state shows libraries in New Zealand holding, but no austrailian.
                      I would try a call to the University of New South Wales; they seem to have an excellent balance between science and craft.

                      here are the locations in New Zealand, though you probably already have these.  no indicaton of which volumes.

                      Ambrose

                      New ZealandAUCKLAND UNIV OF TECHZ5A
                      New ZealandCHRISTCHURCH CITY LIBRNZCPL
                      New ZealandDUNEDIN PUB LIBRD8D
                      New ZealandINVERCARGILL CITY LIBRNZIPP
                      New ZealandMANUKAU LIBR & INFO SERVML$
                      New ZealandNATIONAL LIBR OF NEW ZEALANDNZ1
                      New ZealandPUKE ARIKI-NEW PLYMOUTH DIST LIBRZ0P
                      New ZealandUNIV OF AUCKLAND LIBRUV0
                      New ZealandWAIKATO INST OF TECHXQ$
                      New ZealandWELLINGTON CITY LIBRNZWPM
                      New ZealandWESTERN INST OF TECH AT TARANAKINNPPY
                      New ZealandWHANGAREI DIST COUNCIL INFORM SVC

                      <ambroserspencer@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > bound or microfilmed. I have "Model Petrol Engines" and "The
                      Atom
                      > > > Minor mk3" books also.
                      > > > thanks
                      > > > Mark
                      > > > --- In ETWestburyEngines@ yahoogroups. com, "Malcolm Beak"

                      > engine by

                      Model
                      > > Engines",
                      > > photos of
                      > > actually
                      There
                      > > indeed
                      > only
                      > > the

                      > > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                      > > > Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join
                      Yahoo!'s
                      > > user panel and lay it on us.
                      > > >

                      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                      > Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo!

                      Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

                    • jsconery@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 8 1:56 PM
                        Mark,
                            I just checked my inventory list and am showing that I have all of Volume 66 which is the first half of 1932.  I'll get them out tomorrow night and see what I can find for you if that would help.  My "library" is not the most organized place in the world, so it may take some searching.
                                                                                                    Jim
                                                                                                    New Hampshire, USA
                                                                                                    Live Free or Die

                      • Mark Williams
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 8 2:22 PM
                          Jim,
                          Thanks, I a wait your reply eagerly!
                          Mark

                          --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, jsconery@... wrote:

                          > Mark,
                          > I just checked my inventory list and am showing that I have
                          all of
                          > Volume 66 which is the first half of 1932. I'll get them out
                          tomorrow night and
                          > see what I can find for you if that would help. My "library" is
                          not the most
                          > organized place in the world, so it may take some searching.
                          >

                          > Jim
                          >

                          > New Hampshire, USA
                          >

                          > Live Free or Die

                          new AOL at

                        • Andrew Butters
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 12 4:41 PM
                            Hi Mark.

                            Sydney Tech College Library in Ultimo has model engineer going back to at
                            least the war years.

                            Last time I checked access to the older magazines was difficult as they had
                            a health issue with mould in their Archives.

                            I hope this might be of some help.

                            This is where I got the build notes for my sealion engine from.

                            Cheers

                            AB.

                            <ambroserspencer@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > bound or microfilmed. I have "Model Petrol Engines" and "The
                            Atom
                            > > > Minor mk3" books also.
                            > > > thanks
                            > > > Mark
                            > > > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Beak"

                            > engine by

                            Model
                            > > Engines",
                            > > photos of
                            > > actually
                            There
                            > > indeed
                            > only
                            > > the

                            > > > ---------------------------------
                            > > > Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join
                            Yahoo!'s
                            > > user panel and lay it on us.
                            > > >

                            > ---------------------------------
                            > Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo!

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Steve
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 12 11:14 PM
                              Hi All,

                              I've only just joined & seen this topic, so I may be getting it wrong but if
                              you're looking for items in vol67 I can perhaps help - I can mail you
                              photos of the pages (unless you want hte whole volume!)
                              Actualy I've got most from around 1925 onwards and many of the first years

                              Me? I'm supposed to be building a Dolphin....
                              www.la-coterie.com
                              Holidays in France

                              > Sydney Tech College Library in Ultimo has model engineer going back to at
                              > least the war years.
                              >
                              > Last time I checked access to the older magazines was difficult as they
                              > had
                              > a health issue with mould in their Archives.
                              >

                              > I hope this might be of some help.
                              >
                              > This is where I got the build notes for my sealion engine from.
                              >
                              > Cheers
                              >
                              > AB.

                            • Mark Williams
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 14 2:27 PM
                                Steve,

                                Wow , that would great, I am after the article by E T Westbury on
                                the Atom Minor mk 1 15cc ignition engine, I believe starting in
                                issue 1640 ,1932. I don't know how long it runs for but will pay for
                                all costs!
                                thanks
                                Mark

                                --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <steve_vagg@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Hi All,
                                >
                                > I've only just joined & seen this topic, so I may be getting it
                                wrong but if
                                > you're looking for items in vol67 I can perhaps help - I can mail
                                you
                                > photos of the pages (unless you want hte whole volume!)
                                > Actualy I've got most from around 1925 onwards and many of the
                                first years

                                > Me? I'm supposed to be building a Dolphin....
                                > www.la-coterie.com
                                > Holidays in France

                              • Steve
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 15 8:56 AM
                                  Mark,

                                  go on my website & find the email address& ping me an email.

                                  I've found the article, not checked how many there is but I can photograph
                                  them & email (hope you've got broadband)

                                  steve
                                  www.la-coterie.com
                                  Holidays in France