Re: Ensign

  • superst0rk
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
      I'd said I'd let you know about the plans and they finally(!) dropped
      on the doormat yesterday, I was beginning to think they weren't coming
      despite the receipt turning up quite quickly. The plans are still
      marked up with the Nexus name and appear to have had some of the
      lettering done on computer. A large sheet quite well laid out but
      some of the thin dimensional lines are lacking in definition. I'm
      quite pleased with the drawings however, they didn't cost much.

      It all adds to the mystery however. My grandad has bushed the rear
      intake valve spindle whereas the plan calls for a bolt arrangement.
      No provision had been made for ignition advance (yet) and I wonder if
      he intended to drive the magneto off the rear of the engine instead (I
      have a unit mag. included with the bits), I don't have much knowledge
      or experence in this area. The engine itself is fitted with a clutch
      of which I have no drawings. It seems that any exhaust silencer
      arrangement would be left to the builder and their application.

      Oh, and where do you get them rivets for the contact breakers?!

      Richard

      --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "superst0rk"
      <R.I.Phillips@...> wrote:

      > I'd be interested to see the outline of the car, as whilst I know what
      > the engine is (and hopefully the plans will arrive in the post soon) I
      > know nothing about it's companian car that I have other than the
      > outline was loosly based on a BRM of the era. If there are drawings
      > for this that match I'll have to see if I can locate a copy. I can
      > only assume that the Ensign was built from instructions in this
      > periodical, maybe they were borrowed I don't know. The car is largely
      > comlete but I'd like to know what the intended drive layout was as
      > there is a geared front wheel drive and undrilled engine mounting lugs
      > and I'm not quite sure where everything is supposed to go, but I don't
      > think it would take much to complete.
      >
      > Keeping it on theme, did ET Westbury design the Model Car Special as
      well?

      > Regards,
      > Richard
      >
      > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Offen"
      > <eric.offen@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Richard
      > > I have drawings and if you get stuck I can get you a copy done, The
      > Ensign was published in Model Car News in January 1947 as the power
      > unit for the Model Car Special. Model Car News was short lived and
      > ended in 1950 after 43 issues. I have built the Ensign and it runs
      > very well and has a very healthy exhaust note.
      > > All the best
      > > Eric Offen

      I'll
      > > see what comes of it.
      > >
      > > The site mentioned modelenginenews.org is about the best model
      engine
      > > site I've seen, a superb collection of information. I'm not sure the
      > > Model Engineer references for the Ensign listed there are correct,
      > > however. I couldn't find any references when I looked, although i
      > > don't have a complete 1955 set of ME. An Ensign does feature on the
      > > cover of one of the editions, and stationroadsteam sold an
      example not
      > > long ago. Mine is fitted with a clutch and was intended for a
      > > teathered racing car, also nearly complete of which I have no real
      > > information on other than it was based on a BRM car of the era.
      > >
      > > Richard
      > >
      > > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Carlsen" <kd7bfn@>

      > > > Richard,
      > > > Have you looked at this page?
      > > >
      > > > http://modelenginenews.org/etw/index.html
      > > >
      > > > I'd then drop Ron Chernich a note and ask him about the
      > availability of
      > > > any drawings for the Ensign. It is further described (a chart) on:
      > > > http://modelenginenews.org/etw/etw_engines.html
      > > >
      > > > Good Luck.
      > > >
      > > > Carl

    • Jaime Quevedo
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
        Richard:

        Try Margaret Shores, her husband Bob Shores designed several engines and he sells those kind of rivets.

        Google Bob Shores and you will find the contact information.

        Cheers

        <R.I.Phillips@...> wrote:

        > I'd be interested to see the outline of the car, as whilst I know what
        > the engine is (and hopefully the plans will arrive in the post soon) I
        > know nothing about it's companian car that I have other than the
        > outline was loosly based on a BRM of the era. If there are drawings
        > for this that match I'll have to see if I can locate a copy. I can
        > only assume that the Ensign was built from instructions in this
        > periodical, maybe they were borrowed I don't know. The car is largely
        > comlete but I'd like to know what the intended drive layout was as
        > there is a geared front wheel drive and undrilled engine mounting lugs
        > and I'm not quite sure where everything is supposed to go, but I don't
        > think it would take much to complete.
        >
        > Keeping it on theme, did ET Westbury design the Model Car Special as
        well?

        > Regards,
        > Richard
        >
        > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Offen"
        > <eric.offen@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Richard
        > > I have drawings and if you get stuck I can get you a copy done, The
        > Ensign was published in Model Car News in January 1947 as the power
        > unit for the Model Car Special. Model Car News was short lived and
        > ended in 1950 after 43 issues. I have built the Ensign and it runs
        > very well and has a very healthy exhaust note.
        > > All the best
        > > Eric Offen

        Jaime Quevedo

      • Malcolm Beak
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
          Richard
          If you are in the UK. you can get the tungston tipped rivets from
          http://www.wokingprecisionmodels.co.uk/

          Malcolm

          <R.I.Phillips@...> wrote:

> [...]
          don't
          > > think it would take much to complete.
          > >
          > > Keeping it on theme, did ET Westbury design the Model Car
          Special as
          > well?
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Richard
          > >
          > > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Offen"
          > > <eric.offen@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi Richard
          > > > I have drawings and if you get stuck I can get you a copy
          done, The
          > > Ensign was published in Model Car News in January 1947 as the
          power
          > > unit for the Model Car Special. Model Car News was short lived
          and
          > > ended in 1950 after 43 issues. I have built the Ensign and it
          runs
          > > very well and has a very healthy exhaust note.

        • Carl Carlsen
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
            Richard:

            There is also a Bob Shores Yahoo Group at:

            You might like to join?

            Margaret Shores may be reached via:

            Carl

            <R.I.Phillips@ ...> wrote:

            > I'd be interested to see the outline of the car, as whilst I know what
            > the engine is (and hopefully the plans will arrive in the post soon) I
            > know nothing about it's companian car that I have other than the
            > outline was loosly based on a BRM of the era. If there are drawings
            > for this that match I'll have to see if I can locate a copy. I can
            > only assume that the Ensign was built from instructions in this
            > periodical, maybe they were borrowed I don't know. The car is largely
            > comlete but I'd like to know what the intended drive layout was as
            > there is a geared front wheel drive and undrilled engine mounting lugs
            > and I'm not quite sure where everything is supposed to go, but I don't
            > think it would take much to complete.
            >
            > Keeping it on theme, did ET Westbury design the Model Car Special as
            well?

            > Regards,
            > Richard
            >
            > --- In ETWestburyEngines@ yahoogroups. com, "Eric Offen"
            > <eric.offen@ > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Richard
            > > I have drawings and if you get stuck I can get you a copy done, The
            > Ensign was published in Model Car News in January 1947 as the power
            > unit for the Model Car Special. Model Car News was short lived and
            > ended in 1950 after 43 issues. I have built the Ensign and it runs
            > very well and has a very healthy exhaust note.
            > > All the best
            > > Eric Offen

            Jaime Quevedo