Ensign

  • superst0rk
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2006
      Hello to the group, I've been recommended to join this group as I was
      looking for information on a Westbury model engine.

      I have a nearly complete Westbury Ensign, built many years ago by a
      member of my family. I would estimate that it is about 90% complete
      but I have no plans or drawings in order to complete it. Does anyone
      know of a source of plans for this engine? A copy of the Model
      Engineer suggests this engine was described in "Model Car News", but
      I've never seen a copy of this journal.

      Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.
      Richard
    • Malcolm Beak
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 12, 2006
        --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "superst0rk"
        <R.I.Phillips@...> wrote:

        > Hello to the group, I've been recommended to join this group as I was
        > looking for information on a Westbury model engine.
        >
        > I have a nearly complete Westbury Ensign, built many years ago by a
        > member of my family. I would estimate that it is about 90% complete
        > but I have no plans or drawings in order to complete it. Does anyone
        > know of a source of plans for this engine? A copy of the Model
        > Engineer suggests this engine was described in "Model Car News", but
        > I've never seen a copy of this journal.
        >
        > Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.
        > Richard

        Richard
        The drawings for the Ensign should still be available from the Model
        Engineer Plans Service. It is drawing No. PE19.
        Try phoning them on (+44) 01689 899228
        If you have no luck, I have a set you could BORROW - but where are
        you - I'm in the UK

        Malcolm
      • Carl Carlsen
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 12, 2006
          >From: superst0rk

          >I have a nearly complete Westbury Ensign,

          Richard,
          Have you looked at this page?

          http://modelenginenews.org/etw/index.html

          I'd then drop Ron Chernich a note and ask him about the availability of
          any drawings for the Ensign. It is further described (a chart) on:
          http://modelenginenews.org/etw/etw_engines.html

          Good Luck.

          Carl
        • superst0rk
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 14, 2006
            Thanks to you both for your responses, I was unsure of the status of
            the Model Plans Services since the takeover by Encanta of some of the
            titles from Highbury/Nexus. I've just phoned through my order so I'll
            see what comes of it.

            The site mentioned modelenginenews.org is about the best model engine
            site I've seen, a superb collection of information. I'm not sure the
            Model Engineer references for the Ensign listed there are correct,
            however. I couldn't find any references when I looked, although i
            don't have a complete 1955 set of ME. An Ensign does feature on the
            cover of one of the editions, and stationroadsteam sold an example not
            long ago. Mine is fitted with a clutch and was intended for a
            teathered racing car, also nearly complete of which I have no real
            information on other than it was based on a BRM car of the era.

            Richard

            --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Carlsen" <kd7bfn@...>
            wrote:

            > >From: superst0rk
            >
            > >I have a nearly complete Westbury Ensign,
            >
            > Richard,
            > Have you looked at this page?
            >
            > http://modelenginenews.org/etw/index.html
            >
            > I'd then drop Ron Chernich a note and ask him about the availability of
            > any drawings for the Ensign. It is further described (a chart) on:
            > http://modelenginenews.org/etw/etw_engines.html
            >
            > Good Luck.
            >
            > Carl

          • Eric Offen
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 14, 2006
              Hi Richard
              I have drawings and if you get stuck I can get you a copy done, The Ensign was published in Model Car News in January 1947 as the power unit for the Model Car Special. Model Car News was short lived and ended in 1950 after 43 issues. I have built the Ensign and it runs very well and has a very healthy exhaust note.
              All the best
              Eric Offen

              wrote:

              > >From: superst0rk
              >
              > >I have a nearly complete Westbury Ensign,
              >
              > Richard,
              > Have you looked at this page?
              >
              > http://modelenginen ews.org/etw/ index.html
              >
              > I'd then drop Ron Chernich a note and ask him about the availability of
              > any drawings for the Ensign. It is further described (a chart) on:
              > http://modelenginen ews.org/etw/ etw_engines. html
              >
              > Good Luck.
              >
              > Carl

            • superst0rk
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 17, 2006
                I'd be interested to see the outline of the car, as whilst I know what
                the engine is (and hopefully the plans will arrive in the post soon) I
                know nothing about it's companian car that I have other than the
                outline was loosly based on a BRM of the era. If there are drawings
                for this that match I'll have to see if I can locate a copy. I can
                only assume that the Ensign was built from instructions in this
                periodical, maybe they were borrowed I don't know. The car is largely
                comlete but I'd like to know what the intended drive layout was as
                there is a geared front wheel drive and undrilled engine mounting lugs
                and I'm not quite sure where everything is supposed to go, but I don't
                think it would take much to complete.

                Keeping it on theme, did ET Westbury design the Model Car Special as well?

                Regards,
                Richard

                --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Offen"
                <eric.offen@...> wrote:

                > Hi Richard
                > I have drawings and if you get stuck I can get you a copy done, The
                Ensign was published in Model Car News in January 1947 as the power
                unit for the Model Car Special. Model Car News was short lived and
                ended in 1950 after 43 issues. I have built the Ensign and it runs
                very well and has a very healthy exhaust note.
                > All the best
                > Eric Offen

              • superst0rk
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
                  I'd said I'd let you know about the plans and they finally(!) dropped
                  on the doormat yesterday, I was beginning to think they weren't coming
                  despite the receipt turning up quite quickly. The plans are still
                  marked up with the Nexus name and appear to have had some of the
                  lettering done on computer. A large sheet quite well laid out but
                  some of the thin dimensional lines are lacking in definition. I'm
                  quite pleased with the drawings however, they didn't cost much.

                  It all adds to the mystery however. My grandad has bushed the rear
                  intake valve spindle whereas the plan calls for a bolt arrangement.
                  No provision had been made for ignition advance (yet) and I wonder if
                  he intended to drive the magneto off the rear of the engine instead (I
                  have a unit mag. included with the bits), I don't have much knowledge
                  or experence in this area. The engine itself is fitted with a clutch
                  of which I have no drawings. It seems that any exhaust silencer
                  arrangement would be left to the builder and their application.

                  Oh, and where do you get them rivets for the contact breakers?!

                  Richard

                  <R.I.Phillips@...> wrote:

                  > I'd be interested to see the outline of the car, as whilst I know what
                  > the engine is (and hopefully the plans will arrive in the post soon) I
                  > know nothing about it's companian car that I have other than the
                  > outline was loosly based on a BRM of the era. If there are drawings
                  > for this that match I'll have to see if I can locate a copy. I can
                  > only assume that the Ensign was built from instructions in this
                  > periodical, maybe they were borrowed I don't know. The car is largely
                  > comlete but I'd like to know what the intended drive layout was as
                  > there is a geared front wheel drive and undrilled engine mounting lugs
                  > and I'm not quite sure where everything is supposed to go, but I don't
                  > think it would take much to complete.
                  >
                  > Keeping it on theme, did ET Westbury design the Model Car Special as
                  well?

                  > Regards,
                  > Richard
                  >
                  > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Offen"
                  > <eric.offen@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Richard
                  > > I have drawings and if you get stuck I can get you a copy done, The
                  > Ensign was published in Model Car News in January 1947 as the power
                  > unit for the Model Car Special. Model Car News was short lived and
                  > ended in 1950 after 43 issues. I have built the Ensign and it runs
                  > very well and has a very healthy exhaust note.
                  > > All the best
                  > > Eric Offen

                • Jaime Quevedo
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                    Richard:

                    Try Margaret Shores, her husband Bob Shores designed several engines and he sells those kind of rivets.

                    Google Bob Shores and you will find the contact information.

                    Cheers

                    <R.I.Phillips@...> wrote:

                    > I'd be interested to see the outline of the car, as whilst I know what
                    > the engine is (and hopefully the plans will arrive in the post soon) I
                    > know nothing about it's companian car that I have other than the
                    > outline was loosly based on a BRM of the era. If there are drawings
                    > for this that match I'll have to see if I can locate a copy. I can
                    > only assume that the Ensign was built from instructions in this
                    > periodical, maybe they were borrowed I don't know. The car is largely
                    > comlete but I'd like to know what the intended drive layout was as
                    > there is a geared front wheel drive and undrilled engine mounting lugs
                    > and I'm not quite sure where everything is supposed to go, but I don't
                    > think it would take much to complete.
                    >
                    > Keeping it on theme, did ET Westbury design the Model Car Special as
                    well?

                    > Regards,
                    > Richard
                    >
                    > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Offen"
                    > <eric.offen@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Richard
                    > > I have drawings and if you get stuck I can get you a copy done, The
                    > Ensign was published in Model Car News in January 1947 as the power
                    > unit for the Model Car Special. Model Car News was short lived and
                    > ended in 1950 after 43 issues. I have built the Ensign and it runs
                    > very well and has a very healthy exhaust note.
                    > > All the best
                    > > Eric Offen

                    Jaime Quevedo

                  • Malcolm Beak
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                      Richard
                      If you are in the UK. you can get the tungston tipped rivets from
                      http://www.wokingprecisionmodels.co.uk/

                      Malcolm

                      <R.I.Phillips@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      don't
                      > > think it would take much to complete.
                      > >
                      > > Keeping it on theme, did ET Westbury design the Model Car
                      Special as
                      > well?
                      > >
                      > > Regards,
                      > > Richard
                      > >
                      > > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Offen"
                      > > <eric.offen@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hi Richard
                      > > > I have drawings and if you get stuck I can get you a copy
                      done, The
                      > > Ensign was published in Model Car News in January 1947 as the
                      power
                      > > unit for the Model Car Special. Model Car News was short lived
                      and
                      > > ended in 1950 after 43 issues. I have built the Ensign and it
                      runs
                      > > very well and has a very healthy exhaust note.

                    • Carl Carlsen
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                        Richard:

                        There is also a Bob Shores Yahoo Group at:

                        You might like to join?

                        Margaret Shores may be reached via:

                        Carl

                        <R.I.Phillips@ ...> wrote:

                        > I'd be interested to see the outline of the car, as whilst I know what
                        > the engine is (and hopefully the plans will arrive in the post soon) I
                        > know nothing about it's companian car that I have other than the
                        > outline was loosly based on a BRM of the era. If there are drawings
                        > for this that match I'll have to see if I can locate a copy. I can
                        > only assume that the Ensign was built from instructions in this
                        > periodical, maybe they were borrowed I don't know. The car is largely
                        > comlete but I'd like to know what the intended drive layout was as
                        > there is a geared front wheel drive and undrilled engine mounting lugs
                        > and I'm not quite sure where everything is supposed to go, but I don't
                        > think it would take much to complete.
                        >
                        > Keeping it on theme, did ET Westbury design the Model Car Special as
                        well?

                        > Regards,
                        > Richard
                        >
                        > --- In ETWestburyEngines@ yahoogroups. com, "Eric Offen"
                        > <eric.offen@ > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Richard
                        > > I have drawings and if you get stuck I can get you a copy done, The
                        > Ensign was published in Model Car News in January 1947 as the power
                        > unit for the Model Car Special. Model Car News was short lived and
                        > ended in 1950 after 43 issues. I have built the Ensign and it runs
                        > very well and has a very healthy exhaust note.
                        > > All the best
                        > > Eric Offen

                        Jaime Quevedo