Road roller engine completed and running

  • rustoncsb
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2006
      I finally got the parts for the roller engine finished and test ran
      the unit for about 20 minutes while I played with carb settings.
      The engine is about 80% ETW design, I changed the detailing of the
      camshaft, contact breaker and carb. At the moment it's back in
      pieces for painting.
      The biggest change was incorporating a float chamber into the basic
      suction carb design. I used the float chamber from ETW's 1831
      locomotive engine, the result is a less sensitive carb and better
      slow speed operation.
      Other minor changes included making taper lock style bushings for
      the engine cams and contact breaker cam, that way I could adjust
      them and test run the engine without having to cross drill the
      camshaft.
      Overall I'm pleased with the engine, for a design from 1938 it is a
      very competent rendering of the original Ruston CSB compression
      ignition engine.
      I can press on with the rest of the roller now, I will be straying
      from the ETW design in terms of external appearance, following the
      prototype a bit more faithfully.
      Assuming no computer glitches I will try to post a picture of the
      completed engine on its test run.
      Any other ETW model roller builders out there?
      Regards,
      Alan S
      regards,