atom minor mark III

  • youngfred2
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 7, 2005
      I just picked up a book off ebay THE ATOM MINOR MARK III (A NEW 6 c.c.
      engine for model aircraft) By EDGAR T. WESTBURY This is a very nice
      well written in like new cond 1984 reprint of aprox 50-55 pages I
      would be happy to share with the group. But I am not sure about how to
      get it into the files section. No note is made about copyright. any
      help?? THANKS FRED R JOHNSON
    • Carl Carlsen
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 8, 2005
        >From: youngfred2
        >THE ATOM MINOR MARK III (A NEW 6 c.c.
        >engine for model aircraft) By EDGAR T. WESTBURY
        > But I am not sure about how to
        >get it into the files section.

        Hi Fred,
        I can't speak for the moderator, but that's going to be a really
        "healthy" file to upload onto the FILES section. My scanner can save
        directly as a .pdf file instead of .jpg, and even so, if those are "full
        pages" (8.5 x 11) they could run 400 to 600kb. If it is a smaller page
        size, then they might come in less? So, 10 pages could be 4 to 6 MB
        ... 50, then 20 to 30 mb and our FILES section limit is 20mb.

        I don't want to discourage this ... if I'm off in my figures, this book
        could still fill the FILES section ... but it would give guys a chance
        to download the pages and put them on a CD or something for storage and
        then delete the pages as File space was needed for other things.

        Why don't you try a scan & see what you come up with? If it looks
        promising, I can 'lead' you through the uploading process to get the
        scanned pages into our Files section.

        Carl
      • Tom and Lucie
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 8, 2005

          Look guys: This book is still sold NEW. By copying it and distributing it, you are breaking several intellectual property laws. It would be much better to direct people to the current publisher, who I believe is Tees Publishing.

          Tom Roach

          Canadian High Commission

          7/8 Shanti Path

          New Delhi 110 021

          India

          Phone: +91 11 2379-2137

          FAX: +91 11 2379-3170

          Cell: +91 98 100-81423

          >engine for model aircraft) By EDGAR T. WESTBURY
          > But I am not sure about how to
          >get it into the files section.

          Hi Fred,
          I can't speak for the moderator, but that's going to be a really
          "healthy" file to upload onto the FILES section.   My scanner can save
          directly as a .pdf file instead of .jpg, and even so, if those are "full
          pages" (8.5 x 11) they could run 400 to 600kb.   If it is a smaller page
          size, then they might come in less?   So, 10 pages could be 4 to 6 MB
          ... 50, then 20 to 30 mb and our FILES section limit is 20mb.

          I don't want to discourage this ... if I'm off in my figures, this book
          could still fill the FILES section ... but it would give guys a chance
          to download the pages and put them on a CD or something for storage and
          then delete the pages as File space was needed for other things.

          Why don't you try a scan & see what you come up with?   If it looks
          promising, I can 'lead' you through the uploading process to get the
          scanned pages into our Files section.

          Carl

        • Brian Squibb
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 8, 2005

            I have spare web space which I would be happy to put the files on and share

            Brian

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 8, 2005
              I'm not familiar with the book.  Fred mentioned not being sure of the copyright and I'm sure by buying a "used" copy, he had no idea that Tee might still be offering it.

              Fred, you can check this out ... but if Tom is correct on this, I'm sure it is a "no-no" to 'share' it on group pages.

              Carl

              From:Tom and Lucie

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 8, 2005

                Carl: Not only does Tee still publish the book, but also they have prominent warning notices on their WEB site regarding their copyright. This means that ANY copying and distribution (without the copyright holder’s explicit permission), free or not, for usage other than academic comment, is illegal. The law varies from country to country but this is the basic interpretation.

                Of course, we all go to libraries and photocopy pages for our own use and do so without turning a hair. Custom has made this usage acceptable but once we publicly distribute a work (book, article, song, software, game) without the copyright holder’s permission, we are crossing the line into illegality.

                Tee Publishing can be found at: http://www.fotec.co.uk/mehs/tee/index.html

                Best wishes

                Tom Roach

                Canadian High Commission

                7/8 Shanti Path

                New Delhi 110 021

                India

                Phone: +91 11 2379-2137

                FAX: +91 11 2379-3170

                Cell: +91 98 100-81423

                From:Tom and Lucie

              • DTollenaar@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 8, 2005

                  From:Tom and Lucie

                   > Look guys: This book is still sold NEW.

                   >the current publisher, who I believe is Tees Publishing.

                  Hello Fred,

                  I am in total agreement with both Carl and Tom.  As the Owner / Moderator of this Yahoo Group, the posting of this "Book" will not be allowed.  You would be infringing on Tee's copyright.  Even if this is a re-print, they still own the Copyright to the publication.

                  With this said, if you find that the book is still available, please share that information with the Group.  I, myself, would like a copy, and I believe that other members may also like a copy.

                  Thanks

                  Dirk Tollenaar
                  McKinney, TX
                • Alan Marconett
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 9, 2005
                    Hi Fred, Carl,

                    JWE scans them into PDFs as well, but I believe he uses an OCR mode that
                    greatly reduces the resultant size. He's posted on the process before, but
                    I don't remember in which list.

                    Alan KM6VV

                  • Carl Carlsen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 9, 2005
                      Hi Alan,
                      Yeah, that's pretty neat. He went through and "shrunk" all the large
                      .pdf files we have on the Quorn Owners group. Made quite a difference.

                      But, guess it is a moot point in this case if the book is still
                      available.

                      Carl

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 9, 2005
                        Hi Carl,

                        Yeah, that true! I replied before I heard that. Still would be good to
                        know.

                        I'll have to watch for the book, although I know I'll never get time to
                        build one!

                        Best regards,

                        Alan KM6VV

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 9, 2005
                          Yup, I've ordered many items from Tee.     As I said earlier, the original poster got his book on eBay and I was not aware that it was an item available from Tee, or anyone else for that matter.

                          Carl

                          From: Tom and Lucie

                          Carl: Not only does Tee still publish the book, but also they have prominent warning notices on their WEB site regarding their copyright. This means that ANY copying and distribution (without the copyright holderÂ’s explicit permission), free or not, for usage other than academic comment, is illegal. The law varies from country to country but this is the basic interpretation.

                          Of course, we all go to libraries and photocopy pages for our own use and do so without turning a hair. Custom has made this usage acceptable but once we publicly distribute a work (book, article, song, software, game) without the copyright holderÂ’s permission, we are crossing the line into illegality.

                          From:Tom and Lucie