Road Roller engine

  • sicreader
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 8 1:28 PM
      Hello Dave and others; I don't have a formal list of projects, but letters like
      yours are likely to move the R-R closer to "active".. I was wondering whether
      the opening for the crankcase inspection cover allows the use of a boring bar
      right thru the casting, between centers, to cut the seats for the cylinder liner-(I
      couldn't find "to hand" my copy of the block drawing, so I got another from
      Chernich's site, in the Oct.'04 M.E.N. ). The openings don't line up; but if we're
      slicing and brazing ? ? . Westbury's recommended method is to use a stiff
      boring bar, working all from one end. Perhaps this will not be a problem, but
      remember the side of the dividing wall that faces the water hopper area must
      be faced to be a seat for the o-ring. This is all there is to keep the water out of
      the crank case; the seat must be perpendicular to the bore, and the bore must
      be perpendicular to the crankshaft bearings.
      In the mean time we need to find some comprehensive library to get a copy
      of the "Model Engineer" of 27th October, 1938, page 406, and place it in our
      files at ETWestbury Engines group.
      Cheers from San Diego, Richard.
    • Carl Carlsen
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 9 7:38 AM
        >From: sicreader

        >In the mean time we need to find some comprehensive
        >library to get a copy of the "Model Engineer" of
        >27th October, 1938, page 406, and place it in our
        >files at ETWestbury Engines group.
        >Cheers from San Diego, Richard.

        Hi Richard,
        There are some guys "around" who have full sets of ME. Maybe not on
        this group ... I'll post a query & see what happens.

        In the meantime .... is it just the one page? ... and the "title" ? ..

        Carl
      • Carl Carlsen
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 9 7:50 AM
          >From: sicreader

          >In the mean time we need to find some comprehensive
          >library to get a copy of the "Model Engineer" of
          >27th October, 1938, page 406, and place it in our
          >files at ETWestbury Engines group.
          >Cheers from San Diego, Richard.

          Richard,
          I sent the following note to 2 groups where I think there are guys with
          full sets of ME magazine. Does this sound about right?
          Carl

          "Does anyone have a copy of the "Model Engineer" of 27th October, 1938?
          If you do, and would be willing to send me a copy of page 406, please
          let me know off list. It has to do with the E.T. Westbury Road Roller
          engine."
        • Carl Carlsen
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 9 9:23 AM
            >From: sicreader

            >In the mean time we need to find some comprehensive
            >library to get a copy of the "Model Engineer" of
            >27th October, 1938, page 406, and place it in our
            >files at ETWestbury Engines group.
            >Cheers from San Diego, Richard.

            Richard, I already have a response and the fellow is going to send me a
            copy of that page. If there is anything "more" to it than the 1 page,
            let me know.

            Carl
          • mcandrew1894
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 26 6:58 AM
              Hi Richard,

              Your points are well taken. My mill head lays over 90 to become a
              horizontal ( VanNorman #12) and I have a 12" Logan that I can trust (
              amazing...I can say I can trust my lathe..That's a new experience!)

              I think that with a carefully thought out tool, I could do the bore/o-
              ring seat from a "fabbed casting". I am actually more concerned
              about getting enough heat to braze such a large part effectively. I
              may have to purchase a really big pot burner, like the ones that are
              used for ice melting and weed burning. I think it will be OK if I
              can rough off all the stock I can before the brazing commences and
              banking the parts into some sort of fire brick hearth.

              Additionally, I think it would be fun to cut all the gears for the
              project. Even the bevels for the differential. I have figured out
              how to do them and it would be interesting.
              I would be glad to share my information with anyone who is interested.
              I need to finish my scroll saw attachment first.....

              Warm Regards,

              Dave

              --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "sicreader" <obadevi@s...>
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 29 1:51 PM
                Dear Carl,

                I down loaded the complete "Roller" file for myself from Ron's site.
                It's alot to upload and I wouldn't even want to without getting some
                sort of permission from at least Ron.

                Must be careful in this day and age. But you can download it from
                his site, that I know.

                Dave

                --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Carlsen"
                <kd7bfn@e...> wrote:
                > >From: sicreader
                >
                > >In the mean time we need to find some comprehensive
                > >library to get a copy of the "Model Engineer" of
                > >27th October, 1938, page 406, and place it in our
                > >files at ETWestbury Engines group.
                > >Cheers from San Diego, Richard.
                >
                > Richard, I already have a response and the fellow is going to send
                me a
                > copy of that page. If there is anything "more" to it than the 1
                page,
                > let me know.
                >
                > Carl
              • Libby, Rob
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 30 3:28 AM
                  Can you give us the link to Ron's site about the Road Roller?

                  thanks

                  Rob Libby

                  Hazelett Strip-Casting
                  135 West Lakeshore Drive
                  Colchester, VT 05446
                  802-863-6376
                  www.hazelett.com

                  <kd7bfn@e...> wrote:
                  > >From: sicreader
                  >
                  > >In the mean time we need to find some comprehensive
                  > >library to get a copy of the "Model Engineer" of
                  > >27th October, 1938, page 406, and place it in our
                  > >files at ETWestbury Engines group.
                  > >Cheers from San Diego, Richard.
                  >
                  > Richard, I already have a response and the fellow is going to send
                  me a
                  > copy of that page. If there is anything "more" to it than the 1
                  page,
                  > let me know.
                  >
                  > Carl

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • mcandrew1894
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 30 5:48 AM
                    Hi

                    I thought everyone knew about Ron Chernich Model Engineering site.
                    Sorry about that

                    http://modelenginenews.org/index.html
                    At the site click on "People","Pioneers", Edgar T. Westbury, IC Engine
                    Designs, and go to the bottom of the "chart". There is a hypertext
                    link to the "IC Road Roller" articles there.
                  • mcandrew1894
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 30 5:49 AM
                      ....by the way....what is strip casting?

                      Dave
                    • Carl Carlsen
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 30 5:04 PM
                        Hi Dave,
                        I went to what Ron lists as his web site ...

                        www.ronsmodelengines.com

                        I don't find anything on the "Roller" file there?? What web site were
                        you looking at when you found these files??

                        Carl

                        <kd7bfn@e...> wrote:
                        > >From: sicreader
                        >
                        > >In the mean time we need to find some comprehensive
                        > >library to get a copy of the "Model Engineer" of
                        > >27th October, 1938, page 406, and place it in our
                        > >files at ETWestbury Engines group.
                        > >Cheers from San Diego, Richard.
                        >
                        > Richard, I already have a response and the fellow is going to send
                        me a
                        > copy of that page. If there is anything "more" to it than the 1
                        page,
                        > let me know.
                        >
                        > Carl

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • mcandrew1894
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 31 5:54 AM
                          I posted the link yesterday but I didn't see the post.

                          I don't know if this is Ron Chernich's site or someone else but I
                          have the link saved as one of Ron Chernich's

                          http://modelenginenews.org/index.html

                          Go to People

                          Pioneers

                          Edger T Westbury

                          IC engine Designs

                          And go to the bottom of the list.

                          <kd7bfn@e...> wrote:
                          > Hi Dave,
                          > I went to what Ron lists as his web site ...
                          >
                          > www.ronsmodelengines.com
                          >
                          > I don't find anything on the "Roller" file there?? What web site
                          were
                          > you looking at when you found these files??
                          >
                          > Carl
                          >

                          > Dear Carl,
                          >
                          > I down loaded the complete "Roller" file for myself from Ron's site.
                          > It's alot to upload and I wouldn't even want to without getting some
                          > sort of permission from at least Ron.
                          >
                          > Must be careful in this day and age. But you can download it from
                          > his site, that I know.
                          >
                          > Dave
                          >

                          > --- In ETWestburyEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Carlsen"
                          > <kd7bfn@e...> wrote:
                          > > >From: sicreader
                          > >
                          > > >In the mean time we need to find some comprehensive
                          > > >library to get a copy of the "Model Engineer" of
                          > > >27th October, 1938, page 406, and place it in our
                          > > >files at ETWestbury Engines group.
                          > > >Cheers from San Diego, Richard.
                          > >
                          > > Richard, I already have a response and the fellow is going to send
                          > me a
                          > > copy of that page. If there is anything "more" to it than the 1
                          > page,
                          > > let me know.
                          > >
                          > > Carl
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Carl Carlsen
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 31 8:23 AM
                            Thanks Dave, guess I know too many "Rons"!

                            Carl

                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 31 8:51 AM
                              Maybe I just don't know enough of them! 8-)

                              wrote:
                              > Thanks Dave, guess I know too many "Rons"!
                              >
                              > Carl
                              >
                              > >I thought everyone knew about Ron Chernich Model
                              > >Engineering site. Sorry about that
                              >
                              > http://modelenginenews.org/index.html
                            • Cliff Ward
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 31 5:46 PM
                                Does anybody have a good email address for Ron Chernich? I want to buy one
                                of his new Model Engine News CDs, but I can't get the "enquires" email
                                address to go through.

                                Regards,
                                Cliff

                                Cliff Ward