Hello!

  • Alan Marconett
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2005
      Hi to the list founders!

      Any Westbury engines being built? I'm building my own design, but I had
      the Westbury book for a while, and was impressed. Especially the
      chapter on "modular design".

      Anyone know of a wooden WestBury engine that could be built? I think
      there is one in the first chapter or two. My brother needs a project!

      Alan KM6VV
    • Carl Carlsen
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2005
        Hey Dirk,
        Who let this guy join up ?? :-)

        Carl

        Any Westbury engines being built? I'm building my own design, but I had
        the Westbury book for a while, and was impressed. Especially the
        chapter on "modular design".

        Anyone know of a wooden WestBury engine that could be built? I think
        there is one in the first chapter or two. My brother needs a project!

        Alan KM6VV

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • DTollenaar@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2005
          Beets me...

          By the way, the VW is gone.  In its place, a Logan Lathe, Bridgeport Mill, and a B & S Surface Grinder.

          Next time you are down, I'll be glad to show you.

          Dirk
        • Carl Carlsen
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2005

             > From: DTollenaar

            Hi Dirk,
            Alan is a great guy ... "new" to model building, but he has jumped right in with both feet.   I got to meet him at PRIME a couple of years ago.  We kid each other once & a while.    Glad you joined up here Alan.

            Hey great.   I know you said you were gonna do that, but I had to "test" you.  :-)

             > Next time you are down, I'll be glad to show you.

            Look forward to that.  Maybe we will get down this spring sometime.

            Carl

          • Alan Marconett
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
              Hi Carl,

              I knew you were kidding, really! Thanks for the kind words. Without
              P.R.I.M.E., I'll have to get to G.E.A.R.S., unless you can get down to
              M.M.M.

              Sounds like a good trade, a VW for a lathe, mill and grinder. I could
              park my Chevy outside for these toys!

              My first attempt at making a wooden pattern for a 6" flywheel was not
              successful, I forgot to make it in two pieces! So now, with my
              brother's interest in making a wooden steam engine for his son, I gave
              him the wooden flywheel as an inspiration. I also told him that I
              thought one or two of Westbury's engines was wooden, and that I would
              send him the plans.

              I've looked at the lists of plans, but I can't seem to find one that's
              suitable. Wait a minute, I think I'm confusing Westbury with Elmer???

              Sorry guys!

              Alan KM6VV

              Carl Carlsen wrote:

              > > From: DTollenaar
              >
              > Hi Dirk,
              > Alan is a great guy ... "new" to model building, but he has jumped right
              > in with both feet. I got to meet him at PRIME a couple of years ago.
              > We kid each other once & a while. Glad you joined up here Alan.
              > > By the way, the VW is gone. In its place, a Logan Lathe,
              >> Bridgeport Mill, and a B & S Surface Grinder.
              >
              > Hey great. I know you said you were gonna do that, but I had to "test"
              > you. :-)
              >
              > > Next time you are down, I'll be glad to show you.
              >
              > Look forward to that. Maybe we will get down this spring sometime.
              >
              > Carl

            • Carl Carlsen
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
                >From: Alan Marconett

                >I knew you were kidding, really!

                Gosh I hope so .... I gotta tell you about our moderators shop! My daughter
                and family live in Allen, TX, only 5 or 6 miles from Dirk. I managed to get to
                meet Dirk at his home, last May. My advice is to NOT look at his shop ...
                unless you want to drool over some nice tools. And when I was there, the last 3
                he mentions weren't even in the shop yet!

                Really nice digs ......

                >Wait a minute, I think I'm confusing Westbury with Elmer???

                Aw what the heck. I'm confused most of the time!

                My Mery is "finished" (not painted), but it has this quirk ... it doesn't want
                to run! I'm a little low on compression (maybe the valves need to be lapped?).
                Intake valves are "atmospheric" and I'm thinking the springs may be a little
                stiff? I get some "pops" out of it, but nothing significant. A bit more
                'tweaking' and maybe it will do something memorable .... like run!! <8-)

                Carl
              • Alan Marconett
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
                  Hi Carl,

                  Yeah, sounds like a really great shop! I've only seen a few. My stuff
                  is partly in the garage, partly upstairs in my "office". A "real shop"
                  would be such a luxury!

                  I really don't know anything about any of the model engines, but a
                  friend of mine has the Webster 4 stroke, and I think he was talking
                  about having to really reduce the tension on the intake valve springs,
                  then he started to get it to run a little. So I'd have to agree with
                  you. I think he also said he had to remake the valves.

                  The Mery looks like a great engine! A little too big for me to build
                  now on my machines.

                  Alan KM6VV