Bendy batteries: the MIT Slimcell

  • RemyC
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2005
      From:
      http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/03/bendy_batteries.php

      Bendy batteries: the MIT Slimcell

      March 07, 2005

      Power-weight ratio is a catchphrase of all motor enthusiasts from Formula 1
      to dragster racing. Expressed in Watts per kilogram it is everything in the
      complex world of batteries.

      Enter the bendy battery, as thin as a crisp packet but packing a real
      charge. Professor Donald Sadoway and his team at Massachusetts Institute of
      Technology are pushing at the boundaries of battery technology with their
      lithium ion Slimcell.

      http://web.mit.edu/dsadoway/www
      Professor Donald R. Sadoway
      Massachusetts Institute of Technology
      Room 8-203
      77 Massachusetts Avenue
      Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139-4307
      617.253.3487 Fax: 617.253.5418
      dsadoway@ mit.edu

      A unique feature of this ultra-thin laminate is the flexible polymer
      (perspex) electrolyte capable of storing 250Wh/kg. That's seven times more
      than a conventional lead-acid battery and twice the capacity of lithium ion
      batteries in mobile phones and laptops, both using heavier liquid
      electrolytes.

      When can we get our hands on Slimcells? Sadly not for a while, until battery
      manufacturers pay back their capital investment in the current technology
      and MIT sort out the patents.

      [[ In other words, the hell with the planet, profits come first, even if we
      don't have any oxygen left to enjoy them! RC ]]

      ©Alastair Fuad-Luke, 2005

      Pix:
      http://www.treehugger.com/files/SlimCell.JPG

      Comment: John Laumer

      You put multiple layers of this material behind SP V cell panels and mount
      said material on building envelope. You then have battery powered walls
      capable of driving internal 24v<= systsems like active ventilators, PC's,
      telecomm, exit lights, sound, and alarm sensors.

      Still have to be careful of the electrolytes in these as they are likely to
      be very nasty. The temptation to cut with a scissors could be deadly. For
      safety sake, applications will have to be carefully thought out.