Battery Research, Too Little, Too Late? :: MIT

  • RemyC
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2005
      From:
      http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,98804,00.html

      Battery Research: Too Little, Too Late?
      News Story by Robert L. Mitchell
      robert_mitchell@ computerworld.com

      JANUARY 10, 2005 (COMPUTERWORLD) - The power gap between current needs and
      what batteries can deliver for electronics today reflects a decision made
      years ago to all but abandon basic battery research in favor of more flashy
      fuel-cell technology, says Donald Sadoway, a battery expert and professor of
      materials engineering at MIT. "All the agencies in Washington said
      summarily, 'We're out of battery research,'" he says.

      http://web.mit.edu/dsadoway/www
      Professor Donald R. Sadoway
      Massachusetts Institute of Technology
      Room 8-203
      77 Massachusetts Avenue
      Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139-4307
      617.253.3487 Fax: 617.253.5418
      dsadoway@ mit.edu

      "Fuel cells grabbed the money," but basic battery research was ignored for
      years before that as well, says Rob Enderle, an analyst at Enderle Group in
      San Jose. As a result, today's batteries remain relatively inefficient.

      Rob Enderle
      Principal Analyst
      renderle@ enderlegroup.com
      http://www.enderlegroup.com
      389 Photinia Lane
      San Jose, CA 95127
      (408) 272 8560 Office
      (408) 832 6326 Cell
      (408) 904 5274 Fax

      How much can be gained by using alternative chemistries remains unclear, but
      Sadoway has some ideas. Computerworld's Robert L. Mitchell asked him about
      the state of the industry, what makes for good research and what the next
      big battery breakthrough might be.

      Why is there a need for more basic battery research? The whole question of
      batteries is deceptive. It looks to the unschooled as relatively simple.
      It's a couple hundred years old, yet it's incredibly complex. We don't
      understand all the scaling laws or why things fail in service. In real-world
      apps, there are events that occur that are very difficult to model at this
      stage.

      In some respects, the area of battery research has not been addressed enough
      at the fundamental level. Only in the past 10 years have the principles of
      fundamental materials science been applied.

      Donald Sadoway, a battery expert and professor of materials engineering at
      MIT

      Why have fuel cells received so much of the research money? There are fads
      in research, and I think somewhere around the mid-'90s -- that's when laptop
      computers started to become commonplace -- it was then that we started to
      abandon battery research for fuel cells. The momentum for battery research
      was broken in part because people lost their commitment.

      What is the goal -- the perfect battery? The ideal battery is a big anode
      and a big cathode separated by a vanishingly thin electrolyte.

      Are there more gains to be had from lithium ion? I think that lithium ion
      can be pushed a little bit harder with electrode materials -- for the
      cathode in particular. There may be untapped capacity in certain materials
      that could dramatically improve the amount of energy storage in the battery
      by improving the cathode. I have cells operating at about 300 watts per
      kilogram, which is double what lithium ion is doing today. I think there's
      plenty of room at the top here. We're not banging up against the ceiling
      yet.

      Where will the next big leap come from? Solid-state batteries. We think the
      next improvement will come from eliminating any liquid from the battery. We
      think that there are opportunities for looking at multilayer thin-film
      laminate with no liquid, a polymer as the electrolyte separator. You're
      looking at something that's similar to a potato chip bag, a polymer web
      coated with a different layer of chemistry. We can make that by the square
      mile -- it's not difficult to do. We're talking about a doubling or tripling
      of the capacity of today's batteries, as opposed to a 20% or 30%
      improvement.

      Are there other benefits to solid-state design? The need for safety. A lot
      of the problems in advanced lithium ion batteries derive from the fact that
      you have an organic liquid. Lithium ion is not water-based. It's an organic
      liquid like an alcohol. It's flammable. If it gets hot, the pressure
      increases, and you'll break the case. It could catch fire. If we go with a
      polymer electrolyte, you don't have any liquid; it's inert when it comes to
      heat, plus you can shape it. Look at a polymer bag. If we could make a
      battery in that mode, we could have something that if you puncture it,
      nothing can leak.

      Will it work in the real world? Many battery experiments in the lab never
      make it into production. We've been mindful of that. People are starting to
      realize that there is no point going on a path that's always going to be
      consigned to the realm of laboratory curiosity. We've been thinking about
      costs as well. That said, we think there are opportunities looking at
      [solid-state batteries].

      When we stop thinking about what's gee-whiz in the lab, we cease to invent.
      Invention is what gives us new tools. That's why we have to retreat to the
      fundamentals. If you have one- or two-year planning horizons, you're not
      going to invent.

      Research funding has not been freewheeling enough. It's been too tight on a
      leash, expecting instant results, and there are consequences.

      How would you like to see research priorities change? Over the past years,
      there has been a loss of people doing battery research. A lot of those
      people have left. There is nobody producing lithium ion batteries in the
      U.S. There are a number of start-up companies, but in terms of mainstream
      batteries that go into PDAs, cell phones, laptops, I defy you to show me a
      battery that says, "Made in the USA." All of the lithium technology has gone
      to Asia. Meanwhile, the U.S. military needs lithium chemistry. Are they
      going to buy it from China? Things are really cockeyed.

      The overarching theme is balance. We're out of balance right now. What
      happens in the university sector is that you get an injection of funding,
      you draw new people in and get new ideas. When the funding dries up, people
      leave, and it's not like a water faucet, you can't just turn it back on. We
      have a few pockets of excellence, but compared to the magnitude of the
      problem, we've got far too few people in areas pertaining to energy and the
      environment.

      There's a lot of work in Japan and Korea. It's fair to say that industry in
      East Asia is starting to make investments in its universities. They're
      starting to do things between companies and universities that we do between
      companies and suppliers, which is build long-term relationships. The
      professors being funded know they can take radical innovations.