Materials Matter by Ken Geiser

  • RemyC
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2005
      From:
      http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?sid=B55C99F5-92A9-46DA-9315-12BFC00E4376&ttype=2&tid=4132

      Materials Matter
      Toward a Sustainable Materials Policy
      by Ken Geiser
      foreword by Barry Commoner

      $24.95 paperback 479 pages
      ISBN 026257148X
      Published July 13, 2001

      MIT Press
      Five Cambridge Center
      Cambridge, MA 02142-1493
      (617) 253-5646 Fax: (617) 258-6779

      Publicity: Kerry Murphy
      617-258-0564
      kerrym@ mit.edu

      Order:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/026257148X/electrifyingt-20

      Ken Geiser is Associate Professor in the Department of Work Environment,
      Director of the Toxics Use Reduction Institute, and Director of the Lowell
      Center for Sustainable Production, at the University of Massachusetts,
      Lowell.

      Chair of Toxics Use Reduction Institute (TURI) Advisory Board
      University of Massachusetts Lowell
      Room 303 Pinanski Building
      1 University Avenue
      Lowell, MA 01854
      kgeiser@...
      (978) 934-3299 Fax (978) 934-3050

      The products we purchase and use are assembled from a wide range of
      naturally occurring and manufactured materials. But too often we create
      hazards for the ecosystem and human health as we mine, process, distribute,
      use, and dispose of these materials. Until recently, most research has
      focused on the waste end of material cycles. This book argues that the
      safest and least costly point at which to avoid environmental damage is when
      materials are first designed and selected for use in industrial
      production.

      Materials Matter presents convincing evidence that we can use fewer
      materials and eliminate the use of many toxic chemicals by focusing directly
      on material (chemical) use when products are designed. It also shows how
      manufacturers can save money by increasing the effectiveness of material use
      and reducing the use of toxic chemicals. It advocates new directions for the
      material sciences and government policies on materials. And it argues that
      manufacturers, suppliers, and customers need to set more socially
      responsible policies for products and services to achieve higher
      environmental and health goals.

      "I congratulate Ken Geiser. I personally found this to be an interesting and
      a useful book. He has done a thorough job, particularly on the history of
      materials, creation of synthetic materials, and dissipation of toxics."
      -David Berry, Chair, Federal Interagency Working Group on Industrial
      Ecology, Materials and Energy Flows

      "Geiser effectively makes the case that materials matter in a virtual age.
      He provides a guide to developing a sustainable materials policy for citizen
      leaders, innovators in government, and scientists and engineers with a
      public policy bent."-Frances H. Irwin, World Resources Institute

      "In this timely and insightful major contribution to the sustainable
      development literature, Professor Ken Geiser urges a policy shift from
      assessing the environmental consequences of an industrial economy
      increasingly dependent on chemicals and metals to a double-pronged strategy
      of dematerialization and detoxification. Sustainable strategies for both
      government and private sector stakeholders are offered for designing and
      using inherently safer and environmentally-sound materials, redesigning
      process technology, and shifting from product to product-services."
      -Nicholas A. Ashford, Professor of Technology and Policy, MIT, co-author of
      Technology, Law, and the Working Environment