Juice by Evan I. Schwartz

  • RemyC
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7 5:32 AM
      From:
      http://www.hbsp.harvard.edu/b02/en/common/item_detail.jhtml?id=2888

      Juice: The Creative Fuel That Drives World-Class Inventors
      by Evan I. Schwartz

      $24.95 Hardcover 224 pages
      (September 1, 2004)
      ISBN: 1591392888

      Harvard Business School Press
      300 North Beacon St.
      Watertown, MA 02472 USA
      (617) 783-7500 Fax: (617) 783-7555

      Sharon Rice, Publicity Manager
      srice@ hbsp.harvard.edu

      Julie Devoll, Senior Publicist
      jdevoll@ hbsp.harvard.edu

      Susan Minio, Senior Publicist
      sminio@ hbsp.harvard.edu

      Order:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591392888/electrifyingt-20

      About the Author

      Evan I. Schwartz is a contributing writer for MIT's Technology Review and a
      former editor at BusinessWeek. He is the author of The Last Lone Inventor,
      Digital Darwinism, and Webonomics.

      Book Description

      "There's never been a better time to have big ideas." --from the Foreword by
      Nathan Myhrvold

      Creating new possibilities. Finding hidden problems. Blasting through
      knowledge barriers. That's the job of inventors. And just as invention has
      fueled the progress of humankind for centuries, the same thinking patterns
      that produced breakthroughs from the steam engine to the gene sequencer will
      spawn the inventions on which we'll build our future.

      But what drives invention? Where do the mental leap, the "Aha!" and the
      "Eureka!" come from? What makes one person, company, or country more
      inventive than another? What motivates someone to search for a problem,
      brainstorm a solution, and create that next big thing?

      This groundbreaking book takes us inside the laboratories and the minds of
      some of today's most prolific inventors to demystify the process by which
      they imagine and create. Evan I. Schwartz argues that invention is less
      about serendipity and genius than it is about a relentless inner compulsion
      to question and discover. This creative energy, says Schwartz, is the
      fuel-the "juice"-that drives the best inventors. And this special form of
      creativity is latent in each of us.

      Juice juxtaposes the stories of classic inventors with a new breed of
      innovators, such as hypersonic sound inventor Woody Norris, genomics pioneer
      Lee Hood, mechanical whiz Dean Kamen, business systems inventor Jay Walker,
      and biomimicry trailblazer James McLurkin. Schwartz reveals the brilliant
      strategies-such as crossing knowledge boundaries, visualizing results,
      applying analogies, and embracing failure-that enable inventors to transform
      improbable ideas into reality. We learn, for example, how a connection
      between slot machines and pill-bottle caps might improve the world of
      preventive medicine; how mud and weeds are being used to help carry a nation
      out of poverty; and how the development of a diagnostic nanochip could
      extend human lifespans.

      Powerful and inspiring, Juice will convince you that anything imaginable is
      possible. There is so much left to be invented. Let's turn on the juice.