REM frontman Michael Stipe Wants Ringtones for EVs

  • RemyC
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2004
      From:
      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/28/electric_car_ringtones
      via: http://www.evworld.com/syndicated.cfm?newsid=6630

      Michael Stipe demands ringtones for electric cars
      By Lester Haines

      28th September 2004

      REM frontman Michael Stipe has taken a refreshing break from the
      time-honoured rock star pastime of pontificating on world hunger and
      political injustice to address a far more pressing matter - how to avoid
      getting run over by electric cars.

      Stipe's solution to this perambulatory nightmare is as brilliant as it is
      simple: said vehicles must play ringtones to warn pedestrians of their
      approach. Stipes enthuses to Time Out: "It will blow the music business wide
      open! Everyone will love it. In the country they'll be able to play whatever
      they want; in Vegas it will have to be classical. Or reggae. Or bluegrass.
      Could you imagine?"

      Yes we can, Michael. The idea came to Stipe when he nearly got totalled by a
      battery-powered vehicle in Los Angeles. He then experienced a blinding
      moment of clarity in which "I suddenly thought to myself: 'This is going to
      be a big, big problem. People will be run over by electric cars all the
      time. They make no noise. No sound. They're silent!"

      Stipe quickly rejected the idea that electric jalopies should mimic the
      sound of a petrol-driven engine on the grounds that it would be "stupid".
      "And then it struck me - ringtones," he says. "People will program their
      car, as part of the insurance policy that states: 'Don't run people over
      with your silent car', with ringtones."

      Stipe's opinion on the effect of DRM on insurance prices is not noted.
      Neither has he considered a cheaper and simpler alternative which uses
      existing technology - simply giving it some on the horn, cranking up the car
      radio to full blast, leaning out of the window and shouting: "Get out of my
      effing way you bald-headed prat!"