Re: FW: 3 items: Ethiopia says deaths do not deter Chinese energy company; Eth

  • Wehib
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2007
      Dear sir,
      The article about chat from a travelling journalist or tourist in somalia doesnt seem to be scientific as well, but a pure politics; thus that caused the reaction from my side, like many more, who is tired of propagandas.
      Scientific researches are always being done upon chat: I know one done by Professor Ermias Dagne of Addis Ababa University, for detail researched article.
      wehib

      From: wuhibus <wuhibus@...>
      Date: Monday, October 1, 2007 10:25 pm

      > --- In ESAi@yahoogroups.com, Sisay Asefa <sisay.asefa@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >  Selam,
      > I would like to say something to defend khat's positive image, its
      > contribution to peace and reconciliation and the culture of tolerance,
      > brotherhood and forgiveness that is built around this ancient
      > indigenous plant for centuries, in the horn of Africa and the Arabian
      > peninsula; specifically Yemen.
      > Khat has been chewed in Hararghe-Somali region for more than 1000
      > years at least, according to written evidences. It has always been
      > chewed for maybe over a millennium and was never disregarded by the
      > wise elders of these ancient people as a cause of violence. If it was
      > found to have adversary effect, it would have been discarded by the
      > wise elders of these people, who know much better than a tourist,
      > centuries ago. Instead, the plant , has been found to assist the
      > people in the region for mastering their environment and in their
      > daily struggle of survival.
      > The recent attempt to correlate the violence that has more to do with
      > Imperialism in the horn of Africa; to Chat is a deliberate attempt to
      > twist the real causes of the conflict, and looking for justification;
      > a typical production of colonial mentalities.
      > It is not even a validated argument to base our analysis and
      > conclusion on an amateur western Journalist's personal opinion, whose
      > perspective can only be confined to a western idea of our lives.
      > One fact is that Khat chewing people of the horn of Africa (Harar,
      > Diredawa, jimma, Wollo, Afar, Somali, etc...) are known for their
      > strong social lives and bonds to one another; this is the fact.
      > On the other hand , most of the violences on the people of Ethiopia
      > and the horn had been initiated and conducted from the Non-khat
      > chewing parts of the region. For this, we don't need any better
      > evidence than our vast history of war and violences.
      > If a serious study was meant to be conducted, it shall be based on
      > scientific procedures of research methodologies. I can not simply say
      > the reason why America is conducting war throughout the world is
      > because its citizens are eating Mcdonalds everyday. The journalist who
      > observed chat in Somalia said something similar like this.
      > Wehib
      > >
      > > Friends. Here are some Interesting stories. The chat story is
      > fascinating.
      > > How much does Chat contribute to violence in Ethiopia and the
      > Horn in
      > > general?
      > >

      > > Sincerely,
      > >

      > > Sisay
      > >

      > >   _____
      > >
      > > 1.  http://uk.reuters.com/article/oilRpt/idUKL1726507720070917
      > >

      > > 2.
      > >
      > http://www.garoweonline.com/artman2/publish/Somalia_27/Ethiopia_troops_headi
      > > ng_back_to_Jubba_regions_Military_sources_printer.shtml
      > >

      > > 3.
      > >
      > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-
> [...]

      Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!