Town Square/Parking/Transportation/Awards

  • Barbara Riehle
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2009
      Dear Neighbors,

      This is a long overdue update on a variety of issues. I'll keep it
      as brief as possible. If you're interested in more details, feel
      free to e-mail me directly at barbara@.... Please remember
      clicking "Reply" automatically sends to the entire list.

      1. NEW ANC COMMISSIONER

      In the beginning of November, Elissa Feldman, Larry Janezich, and I
      met with newly elected ANC6B-03 commissioner Norm Metzger to
      introduce him to EMMCA. He is in the process of creating a blog to
      enable easy communication with his new constituents. I'll pass that
      along as soon as it's available.

      2. TOWN SQUARE UPDATE

      On November 17, the Town Square Task Force met to review the cost
      estimates for the three design proposals -- the Rectangle, the
      Triptych, and Improved Existing. The estimates are based on a
      projected start-up date of 2015. Naturally, Improved Existing is the
      least expensive at a whopping $20 million. The Rectangle would cost
      $45 million, and the Triptych $40 million. Task Force members were
      asked to vote on their preferred scheme. Predictably, of the 15
      members present, 2 voted for Improved Existing, 13 for the Triptych.
      Although it was a secret ballot, I'm fairly confident the second vote
      for Improved Existing (other than mine) was from the South Carolina
      Avenue representative. Kate Sylvester, the 7th Street
      Representative, was heard exclaiming, "That's a telling vote!" Those
      present and voting included Ken Jarboe, Sharon Ambrose, David Perry,
      Tip Tipton, Kate Sylvester, Harry Schnipper, Susan Perry, Ray Gooch,
      Don Denton, and Seth Shapiro. (I don't remember the other 3.) This
      concludes the first phase of the project. Now David Perry and Tip
      Tipton are seeking a government entity to undertake an environmental
      assessment. The Task Force has sufficient funds to pay for the
      assessment but needs an entity of government to take the lead. This
      is likely to be the National Capitol Planning Commission. The Task
      Force plans to produce a final report on its efforts thus far.

      Proposed Next Steps:

      Request inclusion of minority views in the final report of the Task
      Force
      Letter from EMMCA to the National Capitol Planning Commission
      objecting to any rerouting of Pennsylvania Avenue
      (Norma and Clint Wright and I have already met with Tommy Wells and
      representatives from the Department of Transportation and the
      Department of Planning to voice EMMCA's objections to rerouting
      Pennsylvania Avenue.)

      3. LOWER 8TH STREET VISIONING PROCESS

      As you know, the Lower 8th Street BID is conducting a series of
      community meetings meant to develop a plan for creating greater
      commerce on Lower 8th Street and the M Street Corridor. It would be
      helpful to this process if you would think about what types of things
      you need to leave the Hill to buy and what stores you would like to
      see in that area. If you send a note to barbara@..., I'll
      compile a list and submit it to the 8th Street visioning folks from
      EMMCA.

      4. PARKING

      Tommy Wells is proposing legislation to extend the Enhanced
      Residential Parking Permit system to all of Ward 6. On Tuesday,
      December 8, at the Old Naval Hospital at 7:00 PM, ANC6B will discuss
      this proposal. On December 10, the City Council will hold a hearing
      on it.

      5. TRANSPORTATION/STREETCARS

      Plans are underway to reintroduce streetcars to the Hill. One of the
      unresolved issues is whether or not to have streetcars on 8th
      Street. This is an issue EMMCA should discuss at its next meeting in
      January. For information on the Streetcar Plans, check out: http://
      ddot.dc.gov/dcstreetcar

      CSX RAILROAD TUNNEL

      Plans are underway to expand the CSX Railroad tunnel under Virginia
      Avenue. In the short term, this would mean that tracks would be
      uncovered for approximately three years during the expansion
      process. Our Southernmost EMMCAs will be greatly affected by this
      project, so it deserves our close scrutiny. For information on the
      project, see: http://www.nationalgateway.org/content/resources/
      updates.cfm

      6. LIVABLE WALKABLE COMMUNITY AWARDS

      Please join Councilmember Tommy Wells on Monday, December 7, at
      Eastern Market's North Hall from 6:30-8:30 PM for the 3rd Annual
      Livable Walkable Awards. A $10 donation is requested.

      PLAN FOR AN EMMCA MEETING IN JANUARY. DATE AND LOCATION TO BE
      ANNOUNCED.

      bsr