E-Newsletters FAQ

  • K White
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2011
      Good morning,

      I received this Q&A on the electronic publishing of kingdom
      newsletters from the Society Chronicler. Please feel free to forward
      where appropriate.

      -Katerine
      EK Chronicler

      -=-
      FAQ on E-Newsletters:

      Q: I am presently a Sustaining Member and I want to continue receiving
      a paper newsletter. Can I?
      A: Yes. If you are presently receiving a paper newsletter you will
      have the option to continue receiving it in that format.

      Q: I like paper newsletters. Once the e-newsletters go into effect,
      will I be able to get a paper copy mailed to me?
      A: Yes. You will have a choice between the electronic version or a
      paper newsletter.

      Q: The Board has suggested an implementation period of almost a full
      year. Why can’t we go to electronic newsletters right now?
      A: There is much to do before the transition can happen including
      updating kingdom and corporate documents, revising the Chronicler’s
      Policies, modifying our current software, and adding new software and
      hardware. As quickly as everyone is working, all of these aspects take
      a considerable amount of time and we want to do this properly the
      first time.

      Q: I thought I paid membership fees in order to receive the newsletter.
      A: As a Sustaining Member, you will still receive your Kingdom
      newsletter. We are not doing away with the newsletter; we are
      offering a new option for delivery. Your membership fees go to support
      the operations of the non-profit organization that oversees the
      national and international activities and rules of the game. This
      includes everything from the insurance coverage we use for events to
      office supplies and the phone line that lets you call our member
      office. Sustaining Members receive newsletters in addition to the
      other benefits of membership.

      Your membership gives you access to:
       Quick Event Check-in – By signing the waiver on the membership
      application, you can speed up your check-in at events by presenting
      your membership card instead of signing waivers.
       SCA Publications – Sustaining Members may also purchase
      subscriptions to other kingdoms’ newsletters, Tournaments Illuminated
      (the quarterly magazine of the Society), The Compleat Anachronist (the
      SCA’s quarterly monograph series), and the Board of Directors’
      Proceedings.
       Discounts – Members receive discounts on some event admissions.

      Additionally, for many SCA-related activities, membership is a
      necessity, including:
       Holding Office – Membership is a requirement to hold an office.
       Voting Privileges – When polling occurs in your local area, the
      membership rolls are used to determine who receives the poll.
       Combat and Combat-Related Activities – In some kingdoms, membership
      is a requirement to participate in combat and combat-related
      activities.
       Awards – In certain kingdoms, membership is a requirement for
      eligibility to receive awards.

      Q: Why is this necessary all of a sudden? Why hasn’t it happened before?
      A: The option of e-newsletters has been a topic of interest for
      several years, but as with any decision, there were number of factors
      that made it high priority now. These include increased paper
      newsletter production costs including postage, the recent economic
      downturn and its effects on the SCA and its members, technological
      advances in quality and availability, and the majority of members (as
      shown by the recent census) would prefer to subscribe to this format.
      We believe that both the members and the SCA will benefit economically
      by the e-newsletter option, especially using the Kingdom of Lochac as
      a case model. The Kingdom of Lochac (SCAA – Australia and New Zealand)
      added the option of e-newsletters in 2009, and their information on
      adding e-newsletters for one kingdom demonstrated how it might be
      effective for the SCA and the other 18 kingdoms.

      Q: I appreciate/don’t like these decisions. How can I have more input
      into this process?
      A: As always, we encourage your comments and questions at
      comments@... and will try to answer any question you may have.
      Your kingdom or officer ombudsman is always available to you to answer
      these questions directly and those assignments are listed in your
      newsletter and on the www.sca.org website. Additionally, if you want
      to have more effect at the corporate level, you should volunteer for
      or recommend people to the Board and to Society Officer positions as
      they become available.