Re: [EKSouth] Electronic copy of newsletters

  • Jennifer Heise
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31 6:22 PM
      > Actually, It wouldn't be pointless, it would save the society money. If
      > you look at the four budget line items for expenses and revenue of the two
      > publications, you see we loose money by printing them. If you factor in the
      > advertising we just barely break even. When you add in the "stipends" it is
      > a quarter million dollar looser.

      IF you are working from the SCA 2010 budget (official)...

      I'm not following you here-- are you talking about the Complete Anachronist
      and Tournaments Illuminated, which are pulled out separately? Those are paid
      for separately, not part of the membership--- but they also don't have
      anything to do with the costs of Kingdom newsletters. If you include all
      the income-- subscriptions to TI and CA, sales from Stock Clerk, and TI
      advertisements, you get a break even-- though then you still have the cost
      of operating the Stock Clerk office to cover.. But you seem to be talking
      NOT about the research publications (CA) and the glossy bimonthly magazine
      (TI) but kingdom newsletters. The subscription costs for both of these
      publications will also be increasing in 2010.

      The cost of kingdom newsletters to the SCA Inc are the 228,627.96 paid out
      to kingdoms. There's no way to break out the income for the Kingdom
      newsletters because it's BUNDLED IN with the memberships-- 792,000 odd for
      2009. You can certainly say that all the money put into Kingdom newsletters
      in print is a loss if you want, since it comes out of membership, but you
      can't say the SCA loses money on the newsletters-- because there's no
      specific way to line-item it out.

      For many years, the cost that the SCA charged for an additional Kingdom
      newsletter was much higher than the stipend the kingdom received per
      subscription to their Kingdom newsletter; the explanation was that the
      additional cost was needed to cover the cost of TI and CA. Now, when TI and
      CA are taken out separately, they don't affect that.
      The cost for an additional kingdom newsletter (3rd class) is marked at $15,
      while the general cost of a sustaining membership (which gets the kingdom
      newsletter) is $35.The stipends for Kingdom newsletters are budgetted at
      230,000 for 2010, with the membership income budgeted at 839,150. Without
      knowing how much of the membership income comes from sustaining memberships,
      and what the per-member stipend is, we can't figure out if the SCA is losing
      or making money on the stipends as part of the membership.

      --
      Jennifer Heise

      known in the SCA as Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

    • JonH
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
        Which is exactly the point. We are loosing money with the print version and so it should be eliminated. If a few copies are necessary to comply with legal requirements they can be printed out or if someone has no access they can pay a small fee to have it mailed to them.
        We save money by eliminating the printed version, increase subscriptions by including it free in the annual membership, and still generate revenue from the advertising rates.
        There is no surprise here, look at our annual budget.
        Electronic copy would be a big cost saver.
        Newspapers are loosing money because they are not changing with the times.
        Jon