RE: [EKSouth] Changes to East Kingdom Armor Standards

  • Joel Doner
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2010
      Richard:

      Thank you for your comments all of which are well thought out. Although, I disagree with some of them, it's nice when friends can disagree.

      Lawrence

      From: Taranach McLeod <Taranach@gmail. <mailto:Taranach% 40gmail.com> com>
      To: EKSouth@yahoogroups <mailto:EKSouth% 40yahoogroups. com> .com
      Date: Friday, April 30, 2010, 6:37 AM

      Bottom line, Corpora very clearly states "Attempt at pre-17th century
      clothing"... . that does not mean the attempts to bypass the rule by using
      tie-dye or other means of subterfuge, that means making your best effort to
      look like a person from a pre-17th century culture. It is written into our
      highest standards and is derived into detail in the documents which follow
      and are subordinate to it. Notwithstanding your anecdotes of those who have
      done otherwise and pulled it off, they were individual instances and done as
      a joke or as a point, not as a general rule.

      I too have been playing historical reenactments for over 30 years and there
      is always a fringe element that likes to try to get away with things that
      are "technically correct" but radically different in intent. The first thing
      those people do is to start "rules lawyering" to seem like there is a
      legitimate complaint. I like to have fun and "stretch" the rules
      occasionally too. It is an exception, not the rule.... all that is happening
      here is they are enforcing the rule that has existed from the beginning.just
      a little bit harder.

      Your attitude, your opinion, your choice.... does not change the rule or its
      legitimacy. Write to the BoD

      Taranach
      "Melior morior in nostrum pedis quam inservio in nostrum genua."

      On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 1:35 AM, Joel Doner <jmdoner@yahoo.
      <mailto:jmdoner% 40yahoo.com> com> wrote:

      > My Lord Taranach:
      >
      > I would simply point out that your use of the Society Marshal's Handbook
      is
      > subordinate to my points from Corpora. As you may be aware Handbooks do
      not
      > take precedent over Corpora. I think that is part of the problem.
      > Significant changes in the Kingdom should not be made by an
      > officer's policy, but should be done through Curia. Significant Society
      > changes should go through the BOD. Not by a single person's idea of what
      is
      > medieval and what is a legitimate attempt at medieval clothes.
      >
      > I have been playing medieval for almost 30 years. I have seen that many
      > different people play medieval in very different ways. Perhaps that's why
      we
      > are creative anachronists and re-creationists. I have known royal peers
      who
      > have worn full Elizabethan made out of camouflage material and pulled it
      > off. There was a time at Pennsic when we had a Hawaiian tunic night and
      > countless other creative times at events. I guess we were more interested
      > in having fun at our hobby, then being told how to play it. At least in
      the
      > East Kingdom we always seemed to tolerate different ideas of how to play
      our
      > game. I don't see the urgency to change that open and welcome feeling.
      >
      > Lastly, I would not presume to guess why you responded to my post as you
      > did. However, I ask that you not presume to tell me why I feel they way I
      do
      > about this issue. As I said, I think the Earl Marshal has exceeded his
      > authority and I don't think you can legislate attitude.
      >
      > Lawrence
      >
      > --- On Fri, 4/30/10, Taranach McLeod <Taranach@gmail.
      <mailto:Taranach% 40gmail.com> com<Taranach% 40gmail.com> >
      > wrote:
      >
      > From: Taranach McLeod <Taranach@gmail. <mailto:Taranach% 40gmail.com> com
      <Taranach%40gmail. com>>
      > Subject: Re: [EKSouth] Changes to East Kingdom Armor Standards
      > To: EKSouth@yahoogroups <mailto:EKSouth% 40yahoogroups. com> .com
      <EKSouth%40yahoogro ups.com>
      > Date: Friday, April 30, 2010, 12:33 AM
      >

      > From the Society Marshal Handbook, Section 6
      >
      > VI. ARMOR REQUIREMENTS
      > A. All participants on the field during adult armored combat shall meet
      the
      > Society minimum armor standards for a fully armored combatant. This
      > includes, but is not limited to, combat archers, siege engineers and other
      > combatants. It does not include marshals, water-bearers, or chirurgeons.
      > Special attention should be paid to appearance and the atmosphere of a
      > medieval event should be maintained.
      >
      > Perhaps you should read that last sentence a few times... this is NOT a
      new
      > standard or policy by any means... it is a more stringent observation of
      > the
      > existing rules. These are the basic rules that you agree to obey when you
      > become an authorized fighter (in addition to specific Kingdom rules)
      >
      > No matter how you argue and finagle your way around, this policy has
      > already
      > been in existence for well over a year at the least (since November 2008
      > according to the revision date). Your suggestion that tie dye, camouflage
      > or
      > Hawaiian print can be substituted is wrong... again read the last
      sentence.
      > At the very least we fall back on "an attempt at pre-17th century
      clothing"
      > Blue or white plastic and the other aforementioned substitutions do NOT
      > qualify as an attempt... they qualify as a blatant disregard for the
      rules.
      > The only exceptions are those regarding safety.
      >
      > Plastics were not in use in period. Metals, wood, and leather as well as
      > cloth or skins were all they used. We make allowances for safety standards
      > and even allow the USE of those plastics for durability and lightness...
      > all
      > that is asked is to cover those plastics with something that looks more
      > period. Whether that is with a tabard, cloth, leather, paint or other
      means
      > is up to the individual. The idea is still to appear medieval instead of
      > like extras from a Mad Max or other post apocalyptic movie set.
      >
      > The only reason I can see for your large amounts of very focused and
      biased
      > research into the rules to discredit this enforcement is that you do not
      > wish to play medieval. Do you really want to fight against Stormtroopers
      > instead?
      >
      > Taranach
      > "Melior morior in nostrum pedis quam inservio in nostrum genua."

> [...]
      <mailto:jmdoner% 40yahoo.com> com<jmdoner% 40yahoo.com> >
> [...]
      > the
      > > East Kingdom Earl Marshal's (EKM) decision to impose the aesthetic
      > > requirements as suggested by the Society Earl Marshal. My understanding
      > is
      > > that this is not a Society policy yet, but could be implemented if the
      > > kingdom did not do so. If it has become SEM's official policy my
      feelings
      > > are not changed.
      > > First, let me say that I have deep respect for Master Padraig. I truly
      > > believe that he is doing what he thinks is best for the Kingdom. I just
      > > think he is wrong. I believe he has exceeded his authority and that the
      > > policy is substantively wrong. I do not know the SEM. I do not know
      > what
      > > the SEM's reasoning is for this policy. I would like to think it is
      > > honorable, but misguided.
      > > According to section F.3 of East Kingdom Law, (page 10) the Kingdom Earl
      > > Marshal is an advisor to the Crown and is responsible for setting the
      > safety
      > > standards of weapons and armor subject to the Crown's approval. He is
      > > responsible for enforcing the rules of the list, supervising the
      regional
      > > and local marshals. And finally he is responsible for authorizations.
      > > Nowhere does he have the authority to create rules or policies in
      > reference
      > > to aesthetics or realistic looking armor for participation in the list.
      > So
      > > this new policy clearly fall outside of his authority as Kingdom Earl
      > > Marshal since this rule has nothing to do with the actual armor
      > standards.
      > > If you want to argue that covering up what is otherwise safe armor falls
      > > within the terms of armor standards, and then he still has exceeded his
      > > authority. All changes to both weapons and armor standards are
      > specifically
      > > subject to the "Sovereign's Approval". Therefore, only the Royalty can
      > > implement this policy change.
      > > As for the SEM's authority, that too is limited by Corpora. Corpora on
      > > page 16 does give the SEM broad powers. However, he is to work with the
      > > Minister of Arts in reference to encouraging "research" in armor and
      > > weapons. He does not have the authority to dictate styles of armor on
      > his
      > > own. Passing an arbitrary policy as to appearance does not promote
      > > "research". Society Officers cannot make policies that conflict with
      > > Corpora. Section II.B of Corpora only requires an "attempt" at Pre-17th
      > > century clothing. His policy of requiring specific elements in the
      > > appearance of armor to participate in martial combat, conflicts with
      this
      > > section of Corpora.
      > > If you argue that this is merely and expansion of the "attempt" or
      > > "research" into armor, then there would be nothing to stop the SEM or
      EKM