Upcoming Exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York

  • Elizabeth Hawkwood
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 29, 2009
      FYI - I'm sure that many people would be interested in seeing this. The write up is taken directly from the Met's website.

      The Art of Illumination: The Limbourg Brothers and the Belles Heures of Jean de France, Duc de Berry,
      March 2, 2010 � June 13, 2010,. Robert Lehman Wing

      Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, New York

      The Belles Heures (1405�1408/9) of Jean de Berry, a treasure of The Cloisters collection, is one of the most celebrated and lavishly illustrated manuscripts in this country. Because it is currently unbound, it is possible to exhibit all of its illuminated pages as individual leaves, a unique opportunity never to be repeated. The exhibition will elucidate the manuscript, its artists�the young Franco-Netherlandish Limbourg Brothers�and its patron, Jean de France, duc de Berry. A select group of precious objects from the same early-fifteenth-century courtly milieu will place the manuscript in the context of the patronage of Jean de Berry and his royal family, the Valois.

      Elizabeth

    • lori/ raven
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 30, 2009
        The Shire of Montevale has already talked to a bus company and we are planning a trip to the Met and Cloisters for May 1, 2010 I'll post the information once everything is ironed out and the bus is contracted. We are arranging 3 stops for pick up. The cost will be about   $75 per person.
        YIS,raven

        After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2010
          If anyone wants a local for tour guide, email me at chatelaine@... !!

          - Lilie Dubh inghean ui Mordha
          Chatelaine, Ostgardr
          (and native Nu Yawker!)

          --- In EKSouth@yahoogroups.com, lori/ raven <lhb17201@...> wrote:

          > The Shire of Montevale has already talked to a bus company and we are planning a trip to the Met and Cloisters for May 1, 2010 I'll post the information once everything is ironed out and the bus is contracted. We are arranging 3 stops for pick up. The cost will be about   $75 per person.
          > YIS,raven
          >
          > After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.

        • DariaH
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2010
            I've never been to the Met. Maybe if I start saving now...

            In Service,
            Magdalena of Blak Rose
          • galefridus@optimum.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2010
              You can usually negotiate a cheaper entrance fee -- all they really want is some kind of donation. Of course, the greater cost may be the transportation to get there...

              -- Galefridus

              > I've never been to the Met. Maybe if I start saving now...
              >
              > In Service,
              > Magdalena of Blak Rose

            • Justinian Timagenes
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2010
                Actually from what I understand they have changed this policy recently so
                the posted price is the expected price.

                Justinian

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 2, 2010
                  It still refers to a "recommended" admission charge, but I don't know if they are more strict about that now then in the past.

                  The current admission charge is $20, or $10 for students. I used to donate and keep a membership when I lived closer - can't believe the amount the admission has gone up.

                  -Godfrey

                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  Actually from what I understand they have changed this policy recently so
                  the posted price is the expected price.

                  Justinian

                  > I've never been to the Met. Maybe if I start saving now...
                  >
                  > In Service,
                  > Magdalena of Blak Rose

                • Pamela Soaring Raven
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 3, 2010
                    Justinian is correct the posted price is the price - they no longer accept donations or negotations - we are however going to be able to purchase at the group rate so that will help a bit. We also plan to offer the various prices the Met offers, child, senior, etc.

                    Just for your info - there are also several other exhibits on disply at the time of May 1, that are relevant to our time periods - "Reopening of the Mary and Michael Jaharis Galleries for Byzantine Art and the Medieval Europe Gallery"; "The Mourners: Medieval Tomb Sculptures from the Court of Burgundy"; "The Drawings of Bronzino"; "5,000 Years of Japanese Art: Treasures from the Packard Collection" to name just a few.

                    i expect to have the contract with the bus company firmed up next week and we will begin to take reservations. We have worked out that we will depart from Chambersburg, PA probably around 5 in the morning; arriving in the city between 10 and 11 - visiting the Cloisters for several hours - returning to the bus and heading to the Met for the remainder of the day - departing the city between 6 and 7 pm. We will also make 2 additional stops if necessary as we travel north to pick up passengers - but those stops will be determined once i see where the folks interested in joining us are coming from.

                    but again - more info next week particularly concerning the cost of the trip.

                    YIS

                    Ros Mairi of Montevale

                    --- In EKSouth@yahoogroups.com, "Justinian Timagenes" <justinian_t@...> wrote:

                    > Actually from what I understand they have changed this policy recently so
                    > the posted price is the expected price.
                    >

                    > Justinian

                  • Carowyn Silveroak
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 3, 2010
                      Great idea, busy weekend - that's Maryland Sheep & Wool festival, also
                      fairy festival, and a few other major events that always seem to pick
                      that 1st full weekend in May.....

                      -"always busy that weekend" Carowyn

                      > The Shire of Montevale has already talked to a bus company and we are
                      > planning a trip to the Met and Cloisters for May 1, 2010 I'll post
                      > the information once everything is ironed out and the bus is
                      > contracted. We are arranging 3 stops for pick up. The cost will be
                      > about $75 per person.
                      > YIS,raven
                      Criminal Lawyer
                      Criminal Lawyers - Click here.
                      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=f1Sg0z8bhJItNyT4AzJFTwAAJ1D2BZ_Vf4wZ7CePVPAyQCfYAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAiFgAAAAA=
                    • lori/ raven
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 3, 2010
                        Yes, but both of those events are 2-3 days long so we can do it all! People will just look at you funny when you show up in fairy wings to the sheep and wool festival. Best to do S&W on Friday, met on saturday then be a fairy on sunday!

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 3, 2010
                          Ros Mairi ,

                          I would be interested - I live in Middlesex County, NJ (Barony of Settmour Swamp).

                          I can afford the Met - but not the transportation. I would LOVE to get on your wonderfull bus.

                          Katheryne
                          who has a thing for period sources of shoes

                          <snip info>