Re: [EKSouth] Why not allow AV material, etc. was: Re: Link to 8 Year Old ...

  • Dianne
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 9, 2008
      It IS something to reconsider, (not meaning to
      take the place and role of my Dutchess and
      Moderator) whether to allow acceptence of letters
      with attachments (disableable by user) these days
      when everybody is running at a minimum T-1 and
      many homes pay $15/mo + Cable to get T-3+ speed. >>

      I run several Yahoo lists and moderate a couple more.

      NONE of the lists I manage allow attachments, and it has nothing to do with connection speeds. My computer is brand new, and I have a digital cable hook up.

      Too many virii come through in attachments, and I choose not to run that risk. If you want to open your computer up to all kinds of malware, you go right ahead, but don't berate others for not doing so. And not everybody runs a minimum T-1. My dad still uses dial up. He simply isn't online enough to justify the extra expense--and since he spends half the year in Florida and half in Michigan, he doesn't want to deal with switching things over twice every year either.

      Laurensa

    • Matthew Lecin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 9, 2008
        On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 17:11, Dianne <goofy4@...> wrote:
        >I run several Yahoo lists and moderate a couple more.
        >NONE of the lists I manage allow attachments, and it has nothing to do with connection speeds.

        I also own and moderate a bunch of YahooGroups and *none* of them
        allow attachments, for that very reason, virii.

        Mitchell MacBain, Bâro et Miles Orientalis
      • david/Aleksandr
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 10, 2008
          Note: in a separate communication, I told the author of some possible
          remedies, of the threat/legal sort.

          But, to the point, which is excellent.

          Even computer ownership is not universal and many still need the
          Library to follow us.

          If they even know we're here.

          There are many available free web sites out there, which might be
          found and obtained for posting of short-term/long term work as
          determined by the moderator if we do not go crazy.

          Any suggestions?

          (btw) if you want a computer, not the fastest but good enough for
          e-mail, a few carcasses off the streeet and some basic knowledge and
          friends can genmerally get you a computer. I donate the makings of
          about one or two machines a year, either to friends who need a last
          piece, or a slow old machine, at most for the price of shipping,
          though I suggest our $5/gallon recession will soon cut down on the
          number of "upgrades".

          My favorite was a 1962 core block I had had sitting here after I
          found I was one week too late to save the ancient mini it belonged
          to. Why, I never knew. 12 years after I got it and mentioned it on
          line, my name got to a Dutch museum crew who found That Exact
          Machine, sans core block, which someone had taken as a desk ornament.
          There will soon be 2 PDP-5s left in running condition in the whole
          world because I saved that block of junk.

          I found a company tossing 5 of what had been the cheapest, most
          worthless Pentium-zip machines 8 years ago. I have a supply of 1x CD
          readers (some may write) and a replenished screw stock because I
          grabbed more than they were worth.