Fencer/Archer Crosstraining for Pennsic

  • Malcolm Bowman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2007
      Greetings unto the fencers and archers of the Kingdom of the East from
      Master Mark Squirrelsbane, Captain General of archers of the East,
      Mistress Nataliia, Rapier Warlord for Pennsic XXXVI, and Don Malcolm
      Bowman, Eastern Army Recruiter!

      In time of war, allies are a key to victory like no other. And while our
      allies may all share a common goal, the means to that goal may be vastly
      different.

      We turn to our neighboring kingdoms and their armies in search of allies.
      But what if we can make allies that are already on our side, by taking a
      different approach to the same goal? What if we bolster our numbers with
      our own?

      The approach is this - to win the archery war point, we need as many
      members of the populace as we can muster to shoot their war points.

      More, if they get out and shoot BEFORE the war, get in some practice, it's
      possible those efforts will be more than enough to win the point.

      To win the rapier war point, we need as many combatants as we can place on
      the field. To bolster our numbers, we need to train and authorize as many
      as we can prior to Pennsic.

      What if we cross our games? Archery is nothing more than point control in
      fencing - the target just happens to be a few...dozen...yards further out.
      Conversely, fencing is in many ways similar to the skill of hitting a
      target in archery...that target just happens to be
      several...inches...closer than bow range. And unlike heavy combat, the
      chances of being trampled and crushed are like 85% less likely (and
      fencers wear FAR lighter armor, so while there may be a bit of trampling,
      crushing is far less likely).

      Mistress Nataliia, our Rapier Warlord and Master Mark, our Captain General
      of Archers, challenge You to help the War Effort. They have asked me, Don
      Malcolm, to coordinate the efforts of cross promotion, in an attempt to
      get more of our rapier combatants into the archery butts, and get some
      archers onto the fencing field. We will need support to make this happen,
      both from the marshallates involved with regards to the drive to do this,
      and more with regards to getting together loaner gear. The fencers can
      assemble as many loaner sets as we need for archers willing to come try
      fencing, but we will need loaner bows and arrows to get more fencers
      arching.

      The gauntlet has been thrown, contact me so that we can start coordinating
      our efforts!

      My email address is malcolm at sourcechronicles dot com, and I will be
      collecting information on fencing practices and archery practices and
      cross-posting them to the appropriate lists, as well as taking suggestions
      to make this program as successful as possible.

      YIS,
      Malcolm

      Don Malcolm Bowman,
      Eastern Army Recruiter
      EK Archery Marshal-at-large
      "Never, never, never give up." - Winston Churchill