Industrial Sewing Machine for Sale

  • Tonessa West Crowe
    Message 1 of 11 , May 30, 2007
      Oldie, but goodie industrial singer, completely reconditioned with new
      motor. Asking $275. This machine is great for tent making or very
      heavy fabrics. Quite a conversation piece!

      Please contact me if interested.

      Duquesa Isabella
    • Tonessa West Crowe
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2007
        Okay everyone, we have been too quiet on this good machine. This has
        just been fully reconditioned and there's not bit of dust on it.

        The asking price is negotiable. So tell your friends. :) It's
        perfect for the *Pennsic Garb Crunch* and will handle from light to
        heavy materials. Plesae pass this on to folks who may be in need of a
        heavy duty machine.

        Gracias et Merci!!

        Duquesa Isabella

        --- In EKSouth@yahoogroups.com, "Tonessa West Crowe"
        <isabellaofyork@...> wrote:

        > Oldie, but goodie industrial singer, completely reconditioned with
        new
        > motor. Asking $275. This machine is great for tent making or very
        > heavy fabrics. Quite a conversation piece!
        >
        > Please contact me if interested.
        >
        > Duquesa Isabella

      • Lynne Tolton
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 7, 2007
          Hello,

          I AM interested. I just need to see if I can convince the other folks I
          camp with to help pay for it.

          Will it really sew Sunforger?

          More later,

          Arelinda Poincelin, EK Hartshorn-dale

          <isabellaofyork@...> wrote:

          > Oldie, but goodie industrial singer, completely reconditioned with
          new
          > motor. Asking $275. This machine is great for tent making or very
          > heavy fabrics. Quite a conversation piece!
          >
          > Please contact me if interested.
          >
          > Duquesa Isabella

        • Tonessa West Crowe
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 7, 2007
            In case you can't find it on that site attached is the pic.

            Isabella

            _____

            Okay everyone, we have been too quiet on this good machine. This has
            just been fully reconditioned and there's not bit of dust on it.

            The asking price is negotiable. So tell your friends. :) It's
            perfect for the *Pennsic Garb Crunch* and will handle from light to
            heavy materials. Plesae pass this on to folks who may be in need of a
            heavy duty machine.

            Gracias et Merci!!

            Duquesa Isabella

            --- In EKSouth@yahoogroups <mailto:EKSouth%40yahoogroups.com> .com, "Tonessa
            West Crowe"
            <isabellaofyork@...> wrote:

            > Oldie, but goodie industrial singer, completely reconditioned with
            new
            > motor. Asking $275. This machine is great for tent making or very
            > heavy fabrics. Quite a conversation piece!
            >
            > Please contact me if interested.
            >
            > Duquesa Isabella

          • david/Aleksandr
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 23, 2007
              At 11:44 AM 6/7/2007, you wrote:

              >Hello,
              >
              >I AM interested. I just need to see if I can convince the other folks I
              >camp with to help pay for it.
              >
              >Will it really sew Sunforger?
              >
              >More later,
              >
              >Arelinda Poincelin, EK Hartshorn-dale

              The beast she is describing can, with right motor and thread
              combination, sew triple-weight canvass, etc. And while I'm not sure
              about her's, I've frequently seen those heads fitted with 3/4 hp motors.

              The old Singer industrial machines are very simple - most can only
              sew a straight stitch of variable length and needle and tension, etc.
              need be adjusted to go from silk gauze to Sunforger(tm) and the like.

              The main power line from the motor belt/wheel end to the head is made
              out of something like 5/16" steel. They claim not, but most of the
              metal *behaves* like stainless, probably because a film of oil goes a
              long way on good, hardened steel stock.

              I am sure the Great Lady offering the machine has kept it spotless.

              But unless the head has been literally used as a boat anchor, the
              only thing needed to get those machines up and running (no matter how
              long they've been out of service) is removing the lint, followed by
              a bath of standard sewing machine oil sloshed over the innards, I
              mean put the beast on the garage floor on newspaper and pour in oil,
              crank the parts until everything is 99% frictionless (easy). Wait for
              most of the oili to drip out, wipe it up, then run some fabric you
              don't want through the beast to take care of the last unwanted oil.

              Clean up, use a ball-point canvass/leather needle and the right
              kind of thread and get to tentmaking!

              d/A
            • Lynne Tolton
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 3, 2007
                Hello Again,

                When this came through I did not see an attachment. I would like to buy
                this machine if it is still available.

                Arelinda Poincelin, EK Hartshorn-dale
                mka
                Lynne Tolton
                610-431-2359

                <isabellaofyork@...> wrote:

                > Oldie, but goodie industrial singer, completely reconditioned with
                new
                > motor. Asking $275. This machine is great for tent making or very
                > heavy fabrics. Quite a conversation piece!
                >
                > Please contact me if interested.
                >
                > Duquesa Isabella

              • Tonessa West Crowe
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 3, 2007
                  Hello again to you too! :-)

                  Good Lady,

                  I am sorry but the machine is no longer available. Thanks for the inquiry.
                  But fear not, if another comes through, I will let you know.

                  Isabella

                  P.S. Sorry for the bandwidth.

                  _____

                  From: EKSouth@yahoogroups <mailto:EKSouth%40yahoogroups.com> .com

                  <isabellaofyork@...> wrote:

                  > Oldie, but goodie industrial singer, completely reconditioned with
                  new
                  > motor. Asking $275. This machine is great for tent making or very
                  > heavy fabrics. Quite a conversation piece!
                  >
                  > Please contact me if interested.
                  >
                  > Duquesa Isabella

                • Lynne Tolton
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 3, 2007
                    Thank you for the offer.

                    More later,

                    Arelinda

                    From: EKSouth@yahoogroups <mailto:EKSouth%40yahoogroups.com> .com

                    <isabellaofyork@...> wrote:

                    > Oldie, but goodie industrial singer, completely reconditioned with
                    new
                    > motor. Asking $275. This machine is great for tent making or very
                    > heavy fabrics. Quite a conversation piece!
                    >
                    > Please contact me if interested.
                    >
                    > Duquesa Isabella

                  • david/Aleksandr
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 3, 2007
                      >Duchess Isabella wrote:
                      >
                      >Good Lady,
                      >
                      >I am sorry but the machine is no longer available. Thanks for the inquiry.
                      >But fear not, if another comes through, I will let you know.
                      >
                      >Isabella
                      >
                      >P.S. Sorry for the bandwidth.

                      BUT ANOTHER ONE IS - JUST LIKE IT - I'll accept the Same Price, and
                      it's in the same general area! (Lindenhurst LI, $250 )

                      I promised my Duchess I would not post until hers was gone.
                      I have an insanely heavy-duty Singer straight-stitch head (itself
                      cleaned, oiled and spotless) rebuilt from a treadle machine (treadle
                      is still on the older part of the base) Base includes something on
                      the order of a 3/4 h.p.+ driver motor (belt needed) the system where
                      the right leg lifts the foot (original Singer "velvet" pad to do the
                      lifting). The table is a combination of the original Singer treadle
                      table and a larger Formica-covered top with the original Singer lamp
                      (a rusted pile I suggest replacing - the lamp holder/switch might be
                      salvageable, the flexible metal holding it in place is broken in one place)

                      This is a Genuine Sweatshop Workhorse if there ever was one.
                      Main transmission is spotless @1/2" diameter metal. There is no
                      reason why this shouldn't penetrate 3-layer heavy canvass with the
                      proper needle and thread in place!

                      Needs a large minivan/SUV/pickup to carry the base, the head
                      is removable (base in garage, head in basement)

                      Write to me or call if interested. The beast is located in
                      Lindenhurst, LI, just inside Suffolk County's South Shore.

                      Call 9:30 am to 10 pm Ld Aleksandr (631)226-4693 or
                      cellphone (631)226-4693
                    • Lynne Tolton
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 4, 2007
                        SOLD! !! !!!

                        We'll move this off line now.

                        More later,

                        Lady Arelinda Poincelin
                        Shire of Hartshorn-dale, EK

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 4, 2007
                          This news makes me happy, but may sadden others:

                          I have entered into a tentative contract of sale for MY
                          industrial Singer, which leaves none that I know of currently for sale.

                          Many thanks to Duchess Isabella of York for creating a market for my
                          beast with the sale of hers. For those in need of these machines and
                          parts, I have passed many a dusty storefront in the NYC Garment
                          District stacked with these old heads, generally attached to modern
                          motors, capable of making a straight stitch in *anything*. I
                          apologize for remembering neither names, nor exact locations, but
                          perhaps some mid- to down-town ĀŒstgarder could give us a report if
                          s/he spots one. Unfortunately, the only one I know who knew the
                          district, my maternal grandfather, organizer of the Butchers and
                          Furriers Union (he was of the latter persuasion) is dead 20 years
                          this month, and I still miss him. (my apologies for the last waste of
                          bandwidth).

                          I will post any information I get on availability/ care /feeding of
                          these beasts if it comes my way.

                          So far, the only recommendation I have is that the head (the black
                          cast-iron body holding the works that usually says Singer on the
                          side) is the most important part. When I got mine, I poured about a
                          bottle of sewing machine oil into all possible ports, soaking the
                          innards and flushing out accumulated dust and debris - This left a
                          bit of a cleanup mess, but I was able to look in and see the
                          transmission parts gleaming. IF there is RUST on THIS metal, you may
                          have problems to come. It is NOT stainless steel, but it still takes
                          plenty of inattention to oxidize. Also important are the brass hinges
                          for the table (you can build one if need be with a circular/jig /
                          table-saw and router) and the lifter for the presser foot. On
                          industrial piece-work machines, this was a separate device that
                          allowed operators to move fast-as-possible.

                          While many of these machines began life as treadle machines, and, in
                          many cases the treadle is still attached to the base, you don't
                          really want to try to foot-pump your way through a tent. The one I
                          got had a significant standard industrial motor (I believe 3/4 hp)
                          bolted to the side of the "new" Formica-covered frame and tabletop. I
                          am sure this kind of overkill may break a needle, if the wrong one is
                          used, or too much speed is applied, but it will NEVER break the
                          machine. If, for some reason, the machine should freeze, the belt
                          would slip before any damage was done. Another thing nice to have is
                          a bobbin winder and support for an industrial-sized thread cone.
                          Bobbins were wound on a separate piece of machinery, but can be wound
                          on any machine taking Singer standard bobbins (probably more
                          convenient these days)

                          The industrial cone holders are even available at a Jo-Ann's Fabric
                          Shop - just attach to the back of your tabletop and rely on the
                          tension control (much better than the current Singer terrible
                          2-deepened washer design.

                          On most, you will get ONE stitch- straight, variable count. Zig-zag
                          heads are probably out there that will, I assume, give you ONE
                          stitch- zig-zag. Newer heads are probably also be out there to supply
                          stretch stitches for modern fabrics and bias-cut hose<g>

                          Anyway, if you are wanting, I am sorry, and grateful to those who
                          will arrive Sunday to take my Beast away.

                          -david/Aleksandr