Re: [EKSouth] Deserved kudos

  • Lewis Tanzos
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 24, 2007
      --- rowenstuffer@... wrote:

      > Originally sent to SCA-East and EK-South. Please
      > forward as appropriate.
      >

      > Greetings all!
      >
      > My apologies to those I didn't get to see at
      > Balfar's. At very much the last
      > minute I was taken to the ER.

      Goober.

      > I'm much better now.

      That's the story you're spreading.

      > However, in my sudden absence, Adhemar's Grand
      > Experiment carried forward in exactly the manner for

      > which it was designed and I want to recognise those
      > who made that happen.

      Just an FYI:

      I was there. One of the complaints various members of
      the crowd had was that the heralds were *too* *quiet*

      Time to offer some projection classes at EKUs. Bill
      them as "useful in command roles on the fighting
      field" and you'll get takers.

      - Istvan

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Kayleigh McWhyte
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 24, 2007
        > Just an FYI:
        >
        > I was there. One of the complaints various members of
        > the crowd had was that the heralds were *too* *quiet*
        >
        > Time to offer some projection classes at EKUs. Bill
        > them as "useful in command roles on the fighting
        > field" and you'll get takers.
        >
        > - Istvan

        Rowen: Glad to hear you're feeling better, along with Marguerite. We missed you.

        Sooo.... Istvan, old buddy old friend.... Are you volunteering
        yourself to teach said class? ;)

        There was a class last Pennsic I took on voice projection techniques,
        but unfortunately, no actual hands-on (or voice-on) work was done. I
        would be more than happy to take a class in it, between all of the
        other things I do. (Others approached me after the event to discuss my
        need to project, and I replied that this is an ongoing issue being
        worked upon...).

        And I agree - I think it would be really beneficial to the marshallate
        community as well (all martial activities).

        Being asked to help at Balfar's Challenge came rather unexpectedly,
        but I was glad to be able to assist. It continues to be fun, and
        hopefully others will step in and learn as well. Thank you, Elizabeth,
        for asking me to step in and help out as part of the court heralds for
        the day.

        YIS,

        Kayleigh

        P.S. Will we in need of field heralds for Spring Crown Tourney?
      • rowenstuffer@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 24, 2007
          From: "Kayleigh McWhyte" <secret.scribe@...>

          > P.S. Will we in need of field heralds for Spring Crown Tourney?

          Absolutely we'll need heralds for the Crown lists. And it's a *great* way to get started in voice heraldry under terrible conditions (lots of other noise, people in every direction). We'll be sending out requests for that maybe a week before, but please, if you're interested in getting started in voice heraldry, please do come and shout a list.

          - Rowen, Troubadour Herald

        • Lewis Tanzos
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 24, 2007
            > Sooo.... Istvan, old buddy old friend.... Are you
            > volunteering yourself to teach said class? ;)

            Nope!

            I can't teach that stuff because I really don't
            understand how it works, myself. This is why I was
            trying to send a private message to this guy who's a
            friend of mine that I know *can* teach it.... and
            needle him a bit about his getting sick at the same
            time.

            Obviously, the 'private' bit went slightly astray.
            Oops. Apologies, everyone.

            > And I agree - I think it would be really beneficial
            > to the marshallate community as well (all martial
            > activities).

            You bet. Being able to hear commands on the field is
            a good thing.

            > P.S. Will we in need of field heralds for Spring
            > Crown Tourney?

            Always.

            - Istvan

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Shivaun McGoff
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 24, 2007
              Said friend has natural talent with that. Big guys often have an easy time
              of projecting because they gots big chest caverns. That helps.

              So what happens with smaller people? It's all about the breath and pitching
              your voice to carry as far as it can through the crowds. Other tricks, like
              not covering your face with the paper you're reading from, or enunciating
              until it sounds incredibly silly to your own ears, helps too. There are
              also visualization tricks to help your focus.

              I teach much better one on one, or in small groups. Be happy to help.
              Siobhan

              On 4/24/07, *Kayleigh* wrote:

              > > Sooo.... Istvan, old buddy old friend.... Are you
              > > volunteering yourself to teach said class? ;)
              >
              > .

            • Matthew Lecin
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 24, 2007
                On 4/24/07, Shivaun McGoff <mcgoff.s@...> wrote:
                >Big guys often have an easy time of projecting because they gots big
                chest caverns.

                Aye, we do. But a lot of it is using your abdominal muscles, too.
                And anyone can learn to do that.

                Mitchell, Bâro et Miles Orientalis
              • rowenstuffer@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 24, 2007
                  From: Lewis Tanzos <lewistanzos@...>
                  > > Sooo.... Istvan, old buddy old friend.... Are you
                  > > volunteering yourself to teach said class? ;)
                  >
                  > Nope!
                  >
                  > I can't teach that stuff because I really don't
                  > understand how it works, myself. This is why I was
                  > trying to send a private message to this guy who's a
                  > friend of mine that I know *can* teach it.... and
                  > needle him a bit about his getting sick at the same
                  > time.
                  >
                  > Obviously, the 'private' bit went slightly astray.
                  > Oops. Apologies, everyone.

                  That's OK. Everyone pretty much needed to know or already knew I was a goober anyway! ;-)

                  And I've been trying to sit down with Lady Erlandr for two years to hear how she teaches it, but circumstances have always played against.

                  - R.

                  - R.

                • vikingchick42
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 26, 2007
                    ok, OK... I get it.
                    How's this.
                    I will teach a vocal projection class at Crown... for anyone
                    interested.
                    I approach the technique from a vocal training perspective. I am a
                    music teacher in real life, vocal coach, theater trained and it's
                    essential to teach proper breathing and support to my students. This
                    carries over to anyone who wants to project their voice over a large
                    area, not get OUT of breath and NOT loose their voice.
                    The basic concept for projection is not really how "loud" you
                    can be, but how best you can support your muscles in order to carry
                    out a solid strong tone. Everyone is different, built differently,
                    has different muscle control, some have a natural ability, some have
                    to work at it.
                    My class deals with the physical way sound is produced and how
                    best for YOU to control it. Actual breathing exercises are done, and
                    quite a few of them. I try and reccommend certain techniques for
                    each individual based on what their habbits already are.
                    If time permits, I work on consonant and vowel articulation in
                    conjunction with breath support so that what is projected is
                    understood. Where different sounds resonate in the head and chest
                    cavity.

                    Sounds very technical, and I approach it that way.

                    I am Troll for the event, so I can't say for sure what time I could
                    do this.
                    I can offer to teach it on the "ok, we're together and we're all
                    here and we've got some time and someone can cover Troll for a few"

                    Anyway... that's alll folks.

                    Erlan
                  • vikingchick42
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 27, 2007
                      The response is overwhelming!!
                      I think that crown tourney is just too crowded a time and place for a
                      VP class. So I will attempt to schedule a few along the Spring Summer
                      event schedule and see what happens.

                      Thanks for the interest!

                      Erlandr