OT: Good Phila Spot for Dim Sum?

  • Apolloniavoss
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2005
      Hey:

      Can anyone recommend a good spot for Dim Sum in Phila? I'll be in town this
      weekend and haven't had Dim Sum in YEARS. Suggestions for other good,
      reasonably priced, ethnic restaurants would be welcome also. My favorite
      restaurant has closed, so I need some new ideas.

      THANKS!

      ~A

      Apollonia Voss

      apolloniavoss@...

      http://userweb.suscom.net/~apolloniavoss/

    • sgtgeorgecarter
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 29, 2005
        Imperial Inn or Joy Tsin Lau. They'll actually serve the gweilos and be able
        to tell you in English what you are eating. Go before noon or else.

        Vietnam Palace has the best BBQ shrimp in the city.

        there used to be an Indian sit down at 16th (I think) and Sansom that was
        dirt cheap and amazingly good.

        And go to Jim's Steaks on 4th and South. Miles better than Pats.

        Tauna

      • ridire@netaxs.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 29, 2005
          On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Apolloniavoss wrote:

          > Hey:
          >

          > Can anyone recommend a good spot for Dim Sum in Phila? I'll be in town this
          > weekend and haven't had Dim Sum in YEARS. Suggestions for other good,
          > reasonably priced, ethnic restaurants would be welcome also. My favorite
          > restaurant has closed, so I need some new ideas.

          Joy Tsin Lau isn't too bad; if the Imperial Inn or Ocean Garden are still
          in business they're worthwhile as well.

          I haven't done dim sum in ages so I'm not the best source of info,
          regrettably.

          Cuilén O'Rothláin

          Tony Rowley EMT-P | Lieutenant/EMS Training Coordinator
          ridire@... | Lansdowne Fire Dept., Lansdowne PA USA
          www.lansdownefire.com | "...these things we do that others may live."
        • Cellach
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 29, 2005
            --- In EKSouth@yahoogroups.com, "Apolloniavoss" <apolloniavoss@s...>
            wrote:

            > Hey:
            > Can anyone recommend a good spot for Dim Sum in Phila? I'll be in
            town this
            > weekend and haven't had Dim Sum in YEARS. Suggestions for other
            good,
            > reasonably priced, ethnic restaurants would be welcome also. My
            favorite
            > restaurant has closed, so I need some new ideas.
            >THANKS!Apollonia Voss

            Yes, I highly recommend The Lakeside Chinese Deli. It is in
            Chinatown on 9th right before you get to Vine Street on the right
            hand side of the road. The restaurant is a nothing fancy little
            place, but food is fantastic! The prices are extremely reasonable
            and you can get stuffed there for very little money. We go there
            whenever possible.
            There is a parking lot very close by right after the restaurant
            on 9th that I believe is still a $5.00 flat fee after 5:00. The place
            is usually opened until 8:00 and is closed on Thursday.
            Cellach
          • sgtgeorgecarter
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 29, 2005
              I too can vouch for Lakeside! Very very good.

              Tauna

            • AdolphusXB1200@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 29, 2005
                In a message dated 12/29/05 6:17:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                LadyCellach@... writes:

                > Yes, I highly recommend The Lakeside Chinese Deli. It is in
                > Chinatown on 9th right before you get to Vine Street on the right
                > hand side of the road.

                There's another place right up there... I can't remember the damn name, heavy
                on vegetarian..but YUM, YUM. :)
                Adolphus

              • Morgan
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 29, 2005
                  On 12/29/05 4:54 PM, "ridire@..." <ridire@...> wrote:

                  > On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Apolloniavoss wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hey:
                  >>

                  >> Can anyone recommend a good spot for Dim Sum in Phila? I'll be in town this
                  >> weekend and haven't had Dim Sum in YEARS. Suggestions for other good,
                  >> reasonably priced, ethnic restaurants would be welcome also. My favorite
                  >> restaurant has closed, so I need some new ideas.
                  >
                  > Joy Tsin Lau isn't too bad; if the Imperial Inn or Ocean Garden are still
                  > in business they're worthwhile as well.
                  >
                  > I haven't done dim sum in ages so I'm not the best source of info,
                  > regrettably.
                  >

                  > Cuilén O'Rothláin

                  Joy Tsin Lau, Ocean Garden and Imperial Inn are all very good choics.
                  IMHO Joy Tsin Lau is the best out of the three.
                  Unfortunately it has been many many years since I had the chance to enjoy
                  Dim Sum