Fw: [Leading German medieval group to make debut US appearance in East Kingdom]

  • Carowyn Silveroak
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
      Forwarded with permission:
      ++++++++++++++++++++++

      German Minstrels Make American Debut

      It's not often that one sees stuffy academics rubbing elbows with young
      women in Matrix-style black latex outfits and Mohawk-sporting, tattooed
      men, but that's all in a day's work for the members of Corvus
      Corax.??This German music troupe, which makes its US debut in
      Pennsylvania just a few weeks from now, attracts a very diverse group of
      fans.

      It's easy to understand why university professors are often in the
      audience of the band's concerts: the group performs on
      hand-made,historically-researched instruments from the medieval era.??All
      songs are authentic period pieces, mostly sung in Latin.??This is not the
      Queen's chamber music, however.??The 8-man group approaches their
      medieval material with a very modern performance style, with lots of
      jumping around, dancing,
      shouting, and very few shirts worn onstage. There are several bagpipers
      as well as a number of large and loud percussive instruments. This
      "raucous Renaissance" style has earned them a nickname they're quite
      proud of: "The Rolling Stones of medieval music." After fifteen years,
      the band is one of the best-known groups in Europe's huge medieval music
      scene.??The band routinely performs at festivals across the continent to
      crowds of 25,000 or more, including modern rock music festivals as well
      as art fairs, cultural events, and medieval re-enactments.??They recently
      staged a production of the Carmina Burana in Berlin, with the assistance
      of an orchestra of over 100 musicians, all making use of medieval
      instruments.??Classical music fans flocked to the event for what promised
      to be an exciting interpretation of a favorite piece, while alternative
      music devotees who were familiar with the almost
      tribal character of Corvus Corax live shows were interested in seeing how
      the band's energy translated in such a formal setting.??The show was a
      great success and a CD/DVD of the production has already been released,
      reaching #15 on the official German album charts.

      Corvus Corax released their first-ever US record, a "Best Of" collection,
      in April of this year through Philadelphia-based Noir Records.??Shortly
      following that, the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire asked the band to
      participate in their 25th Anniversary Celebration this year.??The band
      will be flown in from Germany to perform throughout the day during two
      weekends of the PA Ren Faire's season.??It's the Faire's most ambitious
      presentation
      of live music to date, and Corvus Corax is happy to be making their
      exclusive US debut at such a prestigious and respected event.

      Corvus Corax will be performing live at the Pennsylvania Renaissance
      Faire, at the Mount Hope Winery, throughout the day (10am-7pm) on October
      15, 16, 22 and 23.??Tickets are $24.95 for adults, children 5-11 are
      $9.95.??Discount tickets and passes are available online at
      http://www.parenfaire.com/>www.parenfaire.com.??Their web site also
      includes directions and more information.??The PA Ren Faire can also be
      reached at (717) 665-7021, ext. 231, Monday - Friday, 9 AM to 4 PM.
    • Trevor Hughes
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
        The Medieval Compilation CD 'Stand and Deliver' (also released by
        Philadelphia-based Noir Records) being sold at the Pennsylvania
        Renaissance Faire includes Corvus Corax among others and features two of
        our own SCAdians as cover models.

        Autumn (who lives in Bhakail) and Fai'lenn Dhubh both call Settmour
        Swamp home.

        -Donnan FitzGerald a' Bheithir

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • gianottadallafiora
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2005
          I'll be handing out fliers at the fair, and some of the members of my bellydance
          troupe, Ak-Ana, and myself will be escorting the musicians in the opening and
          closing ceremony parades.

          Gianotta