Re: Care Packages to Meridies

  • Keith Jennings
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
      I would suggest that water purification tablets also be added. I have some
      in a army first aid kit and I expect they should be available from your
      local Army/Navy store.

      -Nello
    • Ian Mitchell
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
        Folks PLEASE think before shipping / sending / taking anything tangible to
        the disaster area.
        Unless it is specifically asked for and you know how it will be delivered do
        not send it
        After Sept. 11th the good hearted people of America sent New York
        increadible amounts of things, some of which were not really useful. It took
        a year to sort it all out.
        In the initial stages of a disaster MONEY is the big thing.
        Be careful how you give. The NY Atty General shut down more than 50 fly by
        night 9/11 charities.
        Currently United Way of America (http://national.unitedway.org/ ), the Red
        Cross and the Salvation Army have set up dedicated Katrina Funds. Money
        given by way of their websites will go to the Katrina effort which will last
        years.
        Baron Ian of Clan Mitchell
        Viceroy of Ostgardr

        in the mundane world
        Mitchell Key Krevor
        Director, Campaign Operations
        United Way of New York City

        Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:20:43 -0400

        (Cross Posted with consent)

        Meridies is moblizing to accept care packages. Their
        seneschal will let people know as soon as they have a
        system set up for distribution. So we're not just
        randomly sending stuff down to the Red Cross and
        saying "Here! Have a bunch of blankets!"

        The Autocrat of the Novice Scola in Carolingia (Sept
        11th, http://delilah.ennui.net/~tpau/event/Scola.html)
        has agreed to set up a collection point there. This is
        what I want to do:

        Packages with some toothpaste, soap, shampoo, clean
        socks, underwear, deoderant (maybe a washcloth?), pads
        and/or tampons. Some other packages with the same
        (less the pads or tampons), plus a small stuffed
        animal (for the kids). And some blankets if we can.

        We'll need some small monetary donations to help with
        shipping.

        I know of a few people that are starting on replacing
        SCA stuff... that's great, but not what's needed now
        and in the next few weeks or months. Gulf Wars,
        however, is in March and would not be a bad goal for
        that kind of drive.

        Thank you.

        Baroness Aurelia Rufinia

        (Crossposted as far as I can reach)

        Baroness Aurelia Rufinia
        Barony of Carolingia,
        East Kingdom, Northshield Ex-Pat

        "Ignorance is bliss. Don't concern yourself with the secrets of scary
        people."

      • Keith Jennings
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
          In light of the fact that it took more than a year after Sept. 11th to
          sort out all of the goods that were donated, I will also be setting up a
          'pass-the-hat' type of collection at Barleycorn. All funds collected will
          be donated to The American Red Cross - Hurricane Relief 2005. If you prefer
          to make a donation directly to relief efforts you can do so at The American
          Red Cross website: http://www.redcross.org/ and at the United Way website:
          http://national.unitedway.org/

          -Nello

          >Folks PLEASE think before shipping / sending / taking anything tangible to
          >the disaster area.
          >Unless it is specifically asked for and you know how it will be delivered
          do
          >not send it
          >After Sept. 11th the good hearted people of America sent New York
          >increadible amounts of things, some of which were not really useful. It
          took
          >a year to sort it all out.
          >In the initial stages of a disaster MONEY is the big thing.
          >Be careful how you give. The NY Atty General shut down more than 50 fly by
          >night 9/11 charities.
          >Currently United Way of America (http://national.unitedway.org/ ), the Red
          >Cross and the Salvation Army have set up dedicated Katrina Funds. Money
          >given by way of their websites will go to the Katrina effort which will
          last
          >years.
          >Baron Ian of Clan Mitchell
          >Viceroy of Ostgardr

          >in the mundane world
          >Mitchell Key Krevor
          >Director, Campaign Operations
          >United Way of New York City
        • Elizabeth Frank
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
            Hullo, Excellency. Greetings, everyone.
            I'm not sure how it is in New York these days, but I know for a fact that
            two armories here in Connecticut (one is in New London) are collecting
            specific goods to be shipped to the different areas affected by this
            disaster. You might wish to check and see if this holds true in other states
            as well, for donations of material goods/needs.
            YIS,
            Kayleigh McWhyte

            On 9/1/05, Ian Mitchell <ostgardr@...> wrote:

            > Folks PLEASE think before shipping / sending / taking anything tangible to
            >
            > the disaster area.
            > Unless it is specifically asked for and you know how it will be delivered
            > do
            > not send it
            > After Sept. 11th the good hearted people of America sent New York
            > increadible amounts of things, some of which were not really useful. It
            > took
            > a year to sort it all out.
            > In the initial stages of a disaster MONEY is the big thing.
            > Be careful how you give. The NY Atty General shut down more than 50 fly by
            >
            > night 9/11 charities.
            > Currently United Way of America (http://national.unitedway.org/ ), the Red
            >
            > Cross and the Salvation Army have set up dedicated Katrina Funds. Money
            > given by way of their websites will go to the Katrina effort which will
            > last
            > years.
            > Baron Ian of Clan Mitchell
            > Viceroy of Ostgardr
            >
            > in the mundane world
            > Mitchell Key Krevor
            > Director, Campaign Operations
            > United Way of New York City

          • Tonessa West Crowe
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
              Adolphus,

              Have you registered at the forums site yet? http://forums.eastkingdom.org
              <http://forums.eastkingdom.org/> I encourage folks to have this discussion
              and to have their request known and tabbed by logging and registering on the
              site. There are a number of efforts going on and we will need to be pulling
              in the same direction. :-)

              Anything that I may do, please let me know.

              Duquesa Isabella of York

              East Kingdom Coordinator for Meridies Relief

              _____