Re: [EKSouth] RE: Weather contingency?

  • Aleksandr called the Traveller
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2005
      At 10:14 AM 4/28/2005, Ana de G wrote, in small part

      Quoting that famous meterologist J. Carson:

      >Your chances of getting hit by lightning go up if you stand under a tree,

      This is, unfortunately, a dangerous piece of mis-information.

      The reason you don't want to be directly under a tree during a lightning
      storm is that, while the tree will 99.9% of the time take the hit (it's
      taller and a better conductor than you or the air around you) when a tree
      is hit, it can blow up into thousands of sharp toothpicks moving with
      incredible speed, while parts of it fall in any random direction - and as
      Murphy prophesized, the direction will be the absolute worst for you.

      Hug a tree in a storm and the coronor might need several pages to describe
      the results.

      If you have a chance between an open field and being *near* a mature tree,
      get on the ground 2-3 yards away, FLAT. Wearing of metal or waving metal
      rods are considered truely bad ideas, though if good plate completely
      covers your body, you may find yourself in an interesting example of a
      "Faraday cage" in which the armour will get fried while you do fine. I'm
      not gonna be the person to test this though, which should tell you
      something. The Faraday effect is why you are safest in your car (assuming a
      metal body) or a structure.

      Trees and other conductive tall objects protect the area around them in an
      area the form of a cone, where, if I remember properly, the radius of the
      circle of protection at ground level is 2x the height of the tree or tall
      object, measured from the outside of the diameter of the object (the ring
      fored by the branches, the outer rim of the tank). A water tower can
      protect a quarter block easy.

      Figure a 200' tower, 40' wide (including lightning rods and cell phone
      systems) provides a circle of protection (no, we're not in an RPG<g>) at
      ground level anywhere within 240' of the tower's center - go a few feet
      closer and you can safely stand up.

      A 100' tree with a 40' canopy - you are safe lying on the ground within
      140' of the center of the trunk, assuming it doesn't get hit, explode and fall.

      d/A