Weather contingency?

  • Ana Areces
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27, 2005
      The weather reports don't look too promising for the tournament so far. For
      the non-fighting exhibits, is there an indoor spot in case of inclement
      weather? I'd hate to think of Lady Ding Li-Ying's exhibits taking on water,
      for one! =8-|

      Ana R de G
    • ladysiobhan@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 27, 2005
        Yes. Only the fighters will have to slog it out. ;) Do your extra special sun dances, people! We've got our fingers crossed.

        Siobhan

        --
        Iron Bog - The Shire, The State of Mind

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 27, 2005
          They are expecting Thunder and lightning that day. Will there be a
          contingency for fighters? Running around in a storm wearing metal on would not be so
          safe...:)

          Andreas

        • Wayne B. Houseknecht
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 27, 2005
            That won't stop the Asatru; it might even encourage them! :)

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 28, 2005
              If the late afternoon/early evening yesterday was any indication (in some
              parts of North Jersey and New York, anyway) storms here these days are
              getting more and more like the storms in Trimaris: Fast, furious and done
              in 20 minutes. Strange days, indeed. Maybe the storms will be that quick
              on Saturday. In which case we'd have the Slip 'n' Slide tournament. Not
              that I would ever be able to make that choice, but I'd rather slide than get
              fried. :-)

              Take care, everybody!

              Ana de G

              Your chances of getting hit by lightning go up if you stand under a tree,
              shake your fist at the sky, and say, "Storms suck!"
              --Johnny Carson (1925-2005)
            • Aleksandr called the Traveller
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 30, 2005
                At 10:14 AM 4/28/2005, Ana de G wrote, in small part

                Quoting that famous meterologist J. Carson:

                >Your chances of getting hit by lightning go up if you stand under a tree,

                This is, unfortunately, a dangerous piece of mis-information.

                The reason you don't want to be directly under a tree during a lightning
                storm is that, while the tree will 99.9% of the time take the hit (it's
                taller and a better conductor than you or the air around you) when a tree
                is hit, it can blow up into thousands of sharp toothpicks moving with
                incredible speed, while parts of it fall in any random direction - and as
                Murphy prophesized, the direction will be the absolute worst for you.

                Hug a tree in a storm and the coronor might need several pages to describe
                the results.

                If you have a chance between an open field and being *near* a mature tree,
                get on the ground 2-3 yards away, FLAT. Wearing of metal or waving metal
                rods are considered truely bad ideas, though if good plate completely
                covers your body, you may find yourself in an interesting example of a
                "Faraday cage" in which the armour will get fried while you do fine. I'm
                not gonna be the person to test this though, which should tell you
                something. The Faraday effect is why you are safest in your car (assuming a
                metal body) or a structure.

                Trees and other conductive tall objects protect the area around them in an
                area the form of a cone, where, if I remember properly, the radius of the
                circle of protection at ground level is 2x the height of the tree or tall
                object, measured from the outside of the diameter of the object (the ring
                fored by the branches, the outer rim of the tank). A water tower can
                protect a quarter block easy.

                Figure a 200' tower, 40' wide (including lightning rods and cell phone
                systems) provides a circle of protection (no, we're not in an RPG<g>) at
                ground level anywhere within 240' of the tower's center - go a few feet
                closer and you can safely stand up.

                A 100' tree with a 40' canopy - you are safe lying on the ground within
                140' of the center of the trunk, assuming it doesn't get hit, explode and fall.

                d/A