Re: [EKSouth] dollhouses

  • kathe Everitt
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5, 2005
      Sarra,

      Try The Collector's History of Dolls by Constance Eileen King, NY: St.
      Martin's Press, 1977. She says that rag dolls were mentioned as early as
      the 9th century. Most of what I found (if I remember correctly) was on
      clay dolls, since they have lasted better than rag dolls. It's been a
      while since I did this research. I think the Hillier book that I sent
      also has some on dolls.

      Julleran

      On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:31:13 EST floriligeum@... writes:

      > Julleran,
      >
      > Thanks for the great list of references. I spent an hour adding
      > many of them
      > to my Abe.com want list.
      >
      > Do you have recommendations specifically on cloth dolls in period?
      >
      > Sarra the Lymner
    • Chester D. Karasinski
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 28, 2005
        >I have recently been doing some research into dollhouses/miniatures and
        >found references to such things being used to train a young lady of the
        >upper classes how she would need to run her household, and that they
        >indeed go back to SCA period, does anyone have any references I should
        >look up on this?
        >Thanks,
        >Cal Urso

        Companions of the Cross, Markland has a iron worker in the group from upstate new york. He has done some research that seems to indicate that when you bought a pot, or pan or skillet or furniture, the vendor also gave you a miniture of what you just bought. Usually carved out of wood. The miniature was put in the manor house where the real object was supposed to go. In this way you were able to keep track of what you owned and also told the illiterate household help
        where objects were to be moved to. ----cheslov