Links: The Power of Cheese

  • Lis
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
      Greetings my faithful readers.

      I have a terrible confession to make. I'm a Cheesehead. Not a "cheesehead"
      of the sports-fanatic type (for those who follow American Sports), but of
      the I LOVE CHEESE variety. Alas, I am the unfortunate product of a childhood
      spent under the influence of the cheese-of-the-month club, where I was
      addicted early to the cherry-like flavor of baby camembert and the lushness
      of smoked havarti. It gets worse, I'm afraid. I actually enjoy making cheese
      now, and have become quite proficient. I'm reasonably sure that this fact
      alone seals me irrevocably in my doom of absolute nerd-dom.

      The plain truth is, however, that cheese-making of at least an elemental
      (i.e.: fresh curds, and green cheese which is not the color green, BTW)
      variety would have been in the purview of every good medieval cook and
      housewife, despite the fact that we see almost NONE of it in our modern
      medieval feasts. Making curds, and using them for other products, would have
      been child's play to most ladies and cooks in our period of study,
      particularly in the high dairying areas. So what is it about cheese that has
      so many excellent modern cooks running scared? Although it's not a secret,
      I'd like to share a fact with you: Making cheese is easy. Anyone can do it,
      without any fancy equipment. With three ingredients already in your home
      (milk, salt, and an acidic product like lemon juice, wine, etc.), and a pot
      to warm them in, anyone can have success at making cheese. And the cheese
      you make at home will be miles better than store-bought cottage cheese,
      ricotta or farmer's cheese. Your personae, as you portray them, would
      undoubtedly have had a daily contact with green cheese, curds, enriched
      cheese products such as tarts, and would have had frequent contact with hard
      or aged cheese, slip-coat cheese, etc. So read on, and find out how to
      enrich your own SCAdian life with the addition of a simple, ancient food:
      Cheese.

      A recent family issue prevented me from teaching a cheese-making class here
      in Aethelmearc at the event Weekend of Wisdom, and so I hope those that
      wished to attend my class will find this Links List useful. In addition, I
      understand the new Links List e-list will be operational soon, and it will
      be possible to subscribe to that Links List via www.scatoday.net , so stay
      tuned! Special Thanks to everyone at SCAtoday for working your considerable
      magic on my behalf.

      Cheers,

      Aoife

      Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon, OL, OP

      Canton of Riverouge

      Barony of Endless Hills

      Kingdom of Aethelmearc

      Gode Cookery--Medieval Cheeses
      http://www.godecookery.com/how2cook/howto02.htm
      (Site Excerpt) This list includes cheeses that were known during the Middle
      Ages & Renaissance, along with some 17th century varieties and a few modern
      cheeses that are acceptable period substitutes. Beaufort, Brie, Camembert ,
      Cheddar - first recorded use is in 1500, Comté .... SEE ALSO A Brief History
      of Cheese at http://www.godecookery.com/how2cook/cheesnet.htm

      Stefan's Florilegium--Cheese-msg
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cheese-msg.html
      (Site Excerpt from ONE message of Many) Good sources for information on
      ancient-vs.-modern cheese are C. Anne Wilson's "Food and Drink in Britain",
      and, Heaven help me for saying so, the Larousse Gastronomique, which, as I
      have frequently said, is pretty much reliable only where French foods are
      concerned. G. Tacitus Adamantius
      SEE ALSO the food Index at
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/idxfood.html and click on
      baked-cheese, cheese (recipes), fresh-cheeses, cheese-goo, cheesemaking,
      Cheese-Making-art, and cheesecake, for much of the currently SCA-held
      medieval knowledge about cheese.

      Cheese Connoisseurs--Buy Cheese Online
      http://www.cheese-connaisseurs.com/show/subcategorylist/subcategoryid/64.html

      Cheesemaking (and eating) by Cathy Harding (SCAdianly known as Maeve)
      http://www.nwlink.com/~charding/cheese.html
      (Note to see Campi's painting The Ricotta Eaters of 1585. Site Excerpt:)
      Digby has a recipe for making cheese (as part of the recipe To Make
      Cheesecakes)Take 12 quarts of milk warm from the cow, turn it with a good
      spoonful of rennet. Break it well, and put it in a large strainer, in which
      rowl it up and down, that all the whey may run out into a little tub; when
      all that will is run out, wring out more. Then break the curds well; then
      wring it again, and more whey will come. Thus break and wring till no more
      come. Then work the curds exceedingly with your hand in a tray, till they
      become a short uniform paste. (Digby p. 214/174 To Make Cheesecakes)

      New England Cheesemaking Supply (Note: I've dealt with this company and am
      pleased with their products--Aoife) http://www.cheesemaking.com/

      A good source of Rennet, in both animal and vegetable form. Good directions,
      as well as basic supplies.

      The Grape and Granery--Cheesemaking supplies
      http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/2,1373.html

      Cheese.com Cheese Making and Supplies
      http://www.cheese.com/

      Virtual store includes 65 cheese-making items to choose from

      The Basics of Making Cheese
      http://www.efr.hw.ac.uk/SDA/cheese2.html
      (Site Excerpt) The process of cheesemaking is an ancient craft that dates
      back thousands of years. By today's standards of industrial technology, the
      process of cheesemaking is still a complicated one which combines both "Art"
      and "Science" together. The subject of cheese has been extensively
      investigated by many research groups in many countries, and in-depth
      information has been reported, for example, by Kosikowski (1982), Scott
      (1986), Robinson (1993) and Fox (1993). Nevertheless, the primary stages of
      cheesemaking are shown in Figure 2.1, and in brief the constituents of milk
      can be described as follows....

      Guide to Cheeses from Around the World.

      http://www.therepertoire.com/cheese/guide.htm

      French Cheese
      http://www.franceway.com/cheese/intro.htm
      This site goes into detail about French Cheeses and the
      pasteurized/nonpasterized debate. It also gives tips for deciding the
      difference between the two and recognizing what you're buying.

      Cheesemaking in Scotland, a History

      http://www.efr.hw.ac.uk/SDA/book1.html

      (Site Excerpt) Cheesemaking as we know it in Scotland today is basically a
      European development of skills acquired from the 'Fertile Crescent', the
      area of land between the Euphrates and Tigris in Iraq.Archaeologists have
      discovered that as far back as 6000 BC cheese had been made from cow's and
      goat's milk and stored in tall jars. Egyptian tomb murals of 2000 BC show
      butter and cheese being made, and other murals which show milk being stored
      in skin bags suspended from poles demonstrate a knowledge of dairy husbandry
      at that time.

      Food Reference.com's Blue or Bleu Cheese History

      http://www.foodreference.com/html/artbluecheese.html

      (Site Excerpt) Roquefort cheese is a particular blue cheese that is made in
      the south of France. Some other blue cheeses are Stilton (England),
      Gorgonzola (Italy), Danablu (Denmark), and Americas' entry, Maytag Blue
      Cheese. These are just a few, there are many more blue cheeses. SEE ALSO
      Feta Facts and History http://www.foodreference.com/html/artfetacheese.html

      History of Goat Cheese

      http://www.inform.umd.edu/EdRes/Topic/AgrEnv/ndd/goat/GOAT_CHEESE.html

      (Site Excerpt) Milk from all species has been used for cheesemaking.
      Because more attention has been given to increasing the productivity of the
      bovine species, a large proportion of commercial cheese is now made from
      cow milk; the milk from the buffalo, zebu, sheep and goat is also used
      extensively.

      Making Cheese: The History (centers on Denmark, Netherlands, Germany, etc.)

      http://park.org/Netherlands/pavilions/food_and_markets/cheese/history.html
      (Site Excerpt) In Friesland in the north of The Netherlands, pots and
      vessels were discovered which indicate that as early as two centuries B.C.,
      cheese was being made there. An extensive trade has existed since the Middle
      Ages. Around the year 1100 Dutch bargemen paid their tolls in cheese at
      Koblenz in Germany. In bills of the city of Rotterdam dating back to 1426,
      mention is made of the profession of `caescoper' (cheesemonger). In 1266 the
      City of Haarlem obtained the right to hold a dairy market. In 1303, Leyden
      was next, Oudewater in 1326 and Alkmaar in 1365.

      SEE ALSO Netherlands's Making Cheese website:
      http://park.org/Netherlands/pavilions/food_and_markets/cheese/making.html

      Mozzarella History and Method

      http://www.mozzco.com/mozzhisty.html

      (Site Excerpt) Legend has it that mozzarella was first made when cheese
      curds accidentally fell into a pail of hot water in a cheese factory near
      Naples...and soon thereafter the first pizza was made! Actually, new cheeses
      are often formulated when mistakes happen, so there well may be truth in the
      tale!

      Gorgonzola and her Cheese

      http://www.deliciousitaly.com/Lombardiadishes13.htm

      (Site Excerpt) The cheese's origins are arguably Piemontese. Even today the
      zone of production includes Novara, Vercelli and Cuneo in that province. All
      are entitled to label their produce with the official mark of quality.
      Legend states that in the 12th century a herdsman was travelling to summer
      pastures in Valsassina when he left a version of Gorgonzola in the town.

      sympatico.ca History of Parmesan Cheese

      http://gourmet.sympatico.ca/cheeses/italian/parmigia.htm

      (Site Excerpt) Unchanged for the last seven centuries, Parmigiano Reggiano
      was praised as early as 1348 in the writings of Boccaccio. In the Decameron,
      he speaks of Cockaigne where there was a mountain made completely of
      Parmesan, on which lived people who made nothing but macaroni and ravioli,
      seeming to prove that Parmesan has long reigned on the Italian table as the
      accompaniment of choice for pasta.

      US Dept of Agriculture: How to Buy Cheese (Acrobat Reader Required)
      http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/search/web/How%2Bto%2BCheese

      Feta, The Flavoring Cheese (From the Jerusalem Post Online)
      http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1090380214999
      (Site Excerpt) First they discovered how to make cheese by separating the
      whey from the curds; but the fresh curds still didn't keep long. So they put
      the cheese in a brine of water and salt. Thus, feta was born.

      Making Cheese at Home
      http://schmidling.netfirms.com/making.htm
      (Site Excerpt) The following recipe represents the ultimate in simplicity in
      cheese making. It will produce a delicious cottage cheese that resembles
      ricotta and is excellent fresh or used in cooking Italian dishes such as
      lasagna. We recommend that beginners start with a cottage cheese to get the
      feel for the basics and for the instant gratification of being able to enjoy
      the product immediately.

      Cheesemaking Suggestions and recipes
      http://www.geocities.com/foodhowto/recipes/cheese/cheese1.htm
      (Site Excerpt) There are two main ways to "coagulate" milk: You can add
      acidic substance to the milk as the acids cause the milk proteins to clump
      together. Natural bacteria cultures are the main way to do this for most
      cheeses, especially the harder cheeses such as Cheddar

      Here's How to Make Cheese
      http://www.farmersmarketonline.com/howto3.htm
      (Site Excerpt) The soft cheeses that most people are familiar with include
      cottage cheese, "goat" cheese, cream cheese, etc. Roughly speaking, any
      cheese that can be spread with a knife will have been produced by a "soft"
      process. There are 3 basic steps in making a soft cheese.

      FANKHAUSER'S CHEESE PAGE © David B. Fankhauser, Ph.D.
      http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/Cheese.html
      25 articles, ( 2-3 are NOT about cheese, but he's also into ginger ale and
      root beer :). Excellent, Concise, and illustrated!

      Artisan Cheesemakers List (a yahoo group)
      (Site Excerpt) How do you know if ARTISAN CHEESEMAKERS-L is for you? Does
      the idea of taking the mundanity of fresh milk and seeing it touched by the
      divine via the cheesemaking process thrill you to your very core? Do your
      eyes light up when the fateful words "Crottin de Chavignol" enter a
      conversation?

      Republic of Kenya: Basic Facts for Farmers: Making Cheese (online
      instructional phamphlet)
      http://www.fao.org/waicent/faoinfo/agricult/aga/publication/mpguide/mpguide5.htm

      The cheesemaking process--Stilton
      http://www.stiltoncheese.com/UK/makingstilton/index.cfm

      The Online Guide to the Art of Cheesemaking
      http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Cottage/1288/index.htm
    • souriete
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004
        If you are in Southeastern PA and would like to make cheeses, there
        is a farm in Chester County that legally sells unpasteurized,
        unhomogenized cow's milk. They also sell goat's milk; I do not know
        whether the goats' milk is unpasteurized and unhomogenized, but I
        rather guess it is.

        The farm is called Bethany Farm and is on Fairview Road in Glenmoore,
        near where that road Ts into Route 82. If you need more specific
        directions, please contact me off-list.

        Thanks,

        Cateline