Urban Legends and Their Bearing on a Discussion

  • Corwyn and Carowyn
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      Greetings!

      I am not commenting about the Dead Rabbit Program, I am making a comment
      on one of the examples used as a side discussion.

      Adamantius mentioned:

      >This isn't quite the same thing as mass belief
      >in werewolves, any more than a claim from future historians, after
      >the extinction of the domestic dog, that dogs used to eat children's
      >homework, which may have led to their extinction, would be accurate.
      >Well, yes, children have made that claim... .

      (giggle snort) Somewhere in my Copious Files (tm), there is a rather
      unusual picture of Exhibit A. My senior year of high school, one of my
      classmates explained to the teacher that the dog, did in fact, eat his
      homework! Of course the teacher didn't believe a word, and told the
      student to "redo" the assignment and turn it in by the end of the week.

      Instead, two days later, the student brought in a tightly-sealed plastic
      bag within a paper sack....

      Yep. You could clearly see the paper amidst the...well, you get the
      idea. And the student claimed (and I believe him) that he did NOT pour
      dog food on the paper, or in any way entice the dog into putting forepaws
      onto the dinner table and scarfing the paper. (Considering the amount of
      grief he got from the teachers - remember, this is our senior year of
      high school! - and the razzing he received from the students, by the end
      he heartily wished it had never happened!) The table was clean, too. I
      knew the dog in question, and the dog was a few brain cells short of a
      gene pool (thought if it was in the dining room, that's the same as the
      dinner table, and it *must* be edible).

      And I know, in the future, this email will be mis-quoted as proof
      positive that "Canis domesticus" was a homework-eater!

      ;-)

      -Carowyn

      Get your name as your email address.
    • cindyjeanne2003
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
        LOL... About 15 years ago our next door neighbor had a Rottweiler
        that would eat just about anything -- dogfood, chickenfeed, fresh cow
        manure, sticks, you name it, Baron ate it. Usually his system handled
        whatever it was with no trouble at all, but I do remember one time
        when he had to go to the vet for surgery to remove a handful of
        tractor nuts and washers that he had scarfed down.

        --- In EKSouth@yahoogroups.com, Corwyn and Carowyn <silveroak@j...>