some jousting history

  • Jeffrey Blaisdell
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1 2:44 AM
      Greetings, All,

      The following is another item from my weekly History Book Club newsletter. Thought it would interest you. Not sure about the comment on mobility at the end, though.

      Geoffrey of Bleasdale

      Jousting: A Deadly Sport in the Age of Chivalry

      Although much romanticized in film and literature, medieval jousting was in fact a serious and deadly event in which heavily armored knights mounted horses and rode at one another with 14-foot wooden lances aimed for the heart. In one 11th-century jousting tournament alone, 60 knights died, and in another a father tragically killed his son. First held in ancient Rome, jousting tournaments were revived in the 11th century as a way for knights to hone their fighting skills during peacetime.

      In preparation for warfare, medieval knights engaged in mock battles called "melees," which pitted one band of knights jousting against another in an open field. This form of jousting was the most brutal of all. Participants rushed at each other, using any means possible to knock an opponent out of the saddle, which was specially designed with a foot-high back to prevent just this. A knight's armor could weigh up to 50 pounds, and together with the undergarments it made jousting in the summer months an excruciating experience.

      It was not long before this form of military training became an immensely popular sport and the mainstay of medieval tournaments. Competition grew fiercer and bloodier--and even profitable, as a champion jouster might commandeer the loser's horse and armor or even hold him for ransom. Dismayed by the carnage, the Church eventually banned the sport in the 11th century and declared, "Those who fall in tourneys will go to hell."

      By the mid-13th century, however, jousting had returned. It was more popular than ever, but with significant changes. In these "pleasure jousts," the knights' wooden lances were dulled and made thinner so they would snap on contact. A successful joust resulted in the spectacular splintering of lances without injury to either knight. Eventually, knights aimed their lances not at each other but at rings suspended from poles. A knight was judged by his ability to control a powerful, charging horse while manipulating a lance, with vision and movement severely restricted by the armor he wore.

    • Tiphaine de Montaigne
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9 5:14 PM
        Jeffrey, may I place this in the Barony of Bhakail's Salamander newsletter?

        > The following is another item from my weekly History Book Club newsletter.
        Thought it would interest you. Not sure about the comment on mobility at the
        end, though.

        > Geoffrey of Bleasdale
        >

        > Jousting: A Deadly Sport in the Age of Chivalry
        >
        > Although much romanticized in film and literature, medieval jousting was
        in fact a serious and deadly event in which heavily armored knights mounted
        horses and rode at one another with 14-foot wooden lances aimed for the
        heart. In one 11th-century jousting tournament alone, 60 knights died, and
        in another a father tragically killed his son. First held in ancient Rome,
        jousting tournaments were revived in the 11th century as a way for knights
        to hone their fighting skills during peacetime.

        > In preparation for warfare, medieval knights engaged in mock battles
        called "melees," which pitted one band of knights jousting against another
        in an open field. This form of jousting was the most brutal of all.
        Participants rushed at each other, using any means possible to knock an
        opponent out of the saddle, which was specially designed with a foot-high
        back to prevent just this. A knight's armor could weigh up to 50 pounds, and
        together with the undergarments it made jousting in the summer months an
        excruciating experience.

        > It was not long before this form of military training became an immensely
        popular sport and the mainstay of medieval tournaments. Competition grew
        fiercer and bloodier--and even profitable, as a champion jouster might
        commandeer the loser's horse and armor or even hold him for ransom. Dismayed
        by the carnage, the Church eventually banned the sport in the 11th century
        and declared, "Those who fall in tourneys will go to hell."

        > By the mid-13th century, however, jousting had returned. It was more
        popular than ever, but with significant changes. In these "pleasure jousts,"
        the knights' wooden lances were dulled and made thinner so they would snap
        on contact. A successful joust resulted in the spectacular splintering of
        lances without injury to either knight. Eventually, knights aimed their
        lances not at each other but at rings suspended from poles. A knight was
        judged by his ability to control a powerful, charging horse while
        manipulating a lance, with vision and movement severely restricted by the
        armor he wore.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mary Jacobson
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 11 9:09 AM
          Hi Everybody,

          I have just had someone in Morristown, NJ (Morris County) contact me
          regarding a demo at a school on May 7th. I'm not even sure where Morris
          county is, other than that ethereal "up north somewhere". Could someone
          from the demo crew of The Swamp or Rusted Woodlands, whichever one "owns"
          said County, contact me so I can put her on the right track?

          Mary (the Hunn)
        • Duchess Gabrielle
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 11 9:41 AM
            I believe all of Morris County is Settmour Swamp ... at least the part I
            used to live in was, and that was quite near Morristown. I just forwarded
            your post to Baroness Paigan.

            Gabrielle

          • mijjil@optonline.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 11 9:52 AM
              Duchess Gabrielle <duchessg@...> wrote:
              >I believe all of Morris County is Settmour Swamp ...

              That is correct.

              And those of us who have been around since rocks were soft even remember that Settmour was derived from somerSET MORRis counties...

              Mitchell, Bâro et Miles Orientalis

              _ _ _ | | Winning is enjoyable, but losing does not detract
              ' )' )' ) | Semper | from the pleasure of playing. - Nakayama Noriyuki
              / / / | Esuriens |
              / (_' | | Matthew J. Lecin mijjil at optonline dot net
            • Robin Carroll-Mann
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 11 10:51 AM
                And those of us who have been around since rocks were soft even remember that Settmour was derived from somerSET MORRis counties...

                Mitchell, Bâro et Miles Orientalis
                --------------------------------

                And "Swamp" for the Great Swamp. Or so I was told when I joined the shire.

                Brighid ni Chiarain
              • mijjil@optonline.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 11 10:59 AM
                  Robin Carroll-Mann <rcmann4@...> wrote:
                  >And "Swamp" for the Great Swamp.
                  >Or so I was told when I joined the shire.

                  Aye!

                  Mitchell, Bâro et Miles Orientalis
                  (Who doesn't actually remember when rocks were soft, but does remember them still being hot enough to cook on...)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 11 11:11 AM
                    Thank you. I shall wait to hear from her then.

                    Mary